Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
AdamXAddiction

Attempting to Produce at home (need help/advice/suggestions)

I'll be completely honest in saying that I don't have a lot of funding for this, however I do have access to software (legality is questionable)

All of this is going through my MBox2 which goes into Either Ableton Live or Pro Tools 8LE

For drums I can either use
I have Superior Drummer (No Metal Foundry, Dying to get it, but can't, unless someone can hook it up)

or

Addictive Drums (need to make it sound real, idk how)
------------------------------
Bass I think the tone is honestly fine coming in through line in
-------------------------
Been using Peavey Revalver using (Dark label studio impluse) for distortion
and using CLA (Waves) Guitar for clean sounds

--------------------------
Been using CLA (Waves) for vocals

what can I do to make this chain better, what should I be using instead, help me out here, I want to achieve a pro sound at home, I know it can be done
AdamXAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
danresn

Improvement would be getting legal software.
danresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

First off, go buy a DI box at guitar center for your guitar. They start at $40 but are miles better than the Mbox DI input.

Second, buy Steven Slate Drums 4.0 which is miles better than AD or Superior. You can't torrent it (I Tried).

Sadly, a lot to improve your sound is going to be stuff you actually have to buy :p
Old 09-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Hmph. Person not willing to invest money in software is the same person who wants pro quality without investing the time in learning the tools, nor investing money in the stuff that goes with the tools.

Go figure. Coincidence? Methinks not.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
chaosmoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
Hmph. Person not willing to invest money in software is the same person who wants pro quality without investing the time in learning the tools, nor investing money in the stuff that goes with the tools.

Go figure. Coincidence? Methinks not.

CT

Person not willing to invest money in proper equipment expects clients to invest money in him.
chaosmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
AdamXAddiction

Wow, I smell a lot of sarcasm and it smells like poo poo. If I had the money I would totally go and buy all this stuff, but sadly (here comes the sobstory) I'm living paycheck to paycheck and all the money the band gets goes into gas for shows, equipment (we've invested a lot of money into our live gear, so obviously we're willing to spend money, as long as we have it).

I never said I wasn't willing to invest in learning how to use he tools, I wouldnt be here asking for help if I didn't want to learn how to get better.

@Lockwolf I took your advice and I got a Tube Preamp and it made the vocals, bass, and guitars come out wayy better, I heard an alternative for Steven Slate Trigger could be Drumagog using the Steven Slate samples, would that be alright or should I just get Trigger?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
AdamXAddiction

@Lockwolf I also stopped using Virtual Amps for the guitars and we're recording the half stack (Peavey 6505+ with Peavey straight cab) with a shure mic that goes into a tube preamp and then to the mbox(bypass the mbox preamp) but my guitars still come out a little muddy, dont know how to make them come out clearer I experimented with different mic placements but i cant seem to get the same tone coming out of the amp into Pro Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #8
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam

You already have enough to be making high quality recordings. The only thing lacking is your skill/experience recording. Read everything and listen too. Practice makes perfect so record as much as you can and experiment; as you go along, you'll find what works for you and what doesn't.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #9
AdamXAddiction

You think so? Do you think having a good set of monitors makes a difference in how I'll be able to mix my music?

But you are right, I just don't know where to start honestly, I don't know enough about eqing in general, i've been experimenting but I think grasping at straws here, what are good things to read in order to improve my output?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #10
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam

Good monitors will indeed help your mixes, granted you have a room that is acoustically sound. Monitors are a must have investment for anyone serious about mixing; that said, not all monitors are created equal, and below a certain price range, you're wasting money.

There are a few guides/tutorials on this forum that are complete walk-thrus. DisarmGoliath wrote one for live instruments and I wrote one for amp sims; search those, I don't have them bookmarked anymore. For more in depth mixing stuff, I'd suggest investing in http://www.systematicproductions.com/mixing-guide.htm.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Yes, proper monitors and room treatment are important for improving your mixes (or even making them listenable).

Of course, I suppose that's all moot, because he's living paycheque to paycheque and all the band's money goes into gas for shows and equipment.

Oh, wait... equipment.

So there IS money for equipment? But not software?

Oh, damn. Now I'm confused.

See, it's all a matter of prioritizing. That 6505+ you've got (or your band has....) costs about $1200. The straight cab is about another $800. You could have gotten a used Mesa Boogie combo for half that and then bought all your software.

Or what I did... kept my old 2x12 cabinet and bought a new Randall head for about $500 and bought more recording gear/software.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
Kid_Thorazine
Registered Sadist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamXAddiction
You think so? Do you think having a good set of monitors makes a difference in how I'll be able to mix my music?

But you are right, I just don't know where to start honestly, I don't know enough about eqing in general, i've been experimenting but I think grasping at straws here, what are good things to read in order to improve my output?

A bajillion times yes, honestly you might be better off renting studio time to mix your stuff (send it off to a pro to master it, you're not gonna be able to do that adequately at home)

Last.fm
Kid_Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
AdamXAddiction

We're heading to the studio in a couple of weeks, and just going to have pros handle mixing and mastering, I was just wanting to improve my set up at home so I can make better sounding demos.

@kid_thorazine and @Odirunn I really appreciate your input and advice thanks guys, and I might just buy that book.

@axemanchris k.

Rate This Thread: