Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
herby190
slaps basses and faces.

Could I get some input from someone who's familiar with Electronic genres?

I've been trying to get involved with producing the music for video games, and I've been writing a lot of electronic tracks to practice. I've been uploading them to Newgrounds in hopes of getting some feedback, but I really don't know what genre to upload them to. The genres that Newgrounds has for electronic music are Ambient, Dance, Drum N Bass, Dubstep, House, Industrial, New Wave, Techno, Trance and Video Game. Which would you consider this to fit into?

http://soundcloud.com/cause_in_effect/subtlety
herby190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
metaldud536
Similar to a pony

Well I see this fitting as video game music. I picture some kind of side scroller. Some industrial level in Donkey Kong Country?

My Deviant Art Page
Manchester United
metaldud536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Weaponized

Some of the sounds remind me of Metroid Prime and now I wanna play that again. But idk, it's too chill for a lot of the genres you named.

last.fm
Weaponized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
WizMystery
WizMystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by herby190
I've been trying to get involved with producing the music for video games, and I've been writing a lot of electronic tracks to practice. I've been uploading them to Newgrounds in hopes of getting some feedback, but I really don't know what genre to upload them to. The genres that Newgrounds has for electronic music are Ambient, Dance, Drum N Bass, Dubstep, House, Industrial, New Wave, Techno, Trance and Video Game. Which would you consider this to fit into?

http://soundcloud.com/cause_in_effect/subtlety

By Newgrounds' standards I'd say ambient. It might work as a Video Game track, but the Video Game genre label on that site is typically reserved for 8-bit songs. Any downtempo or soft electronic track normally goes in ambient.

I know this because I also post there.
WizMystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
theogonia777
Professional Musician

I really hated that one lead sound. It sounded like some drill at the dentist. Actually, I didn't really like any of the synth sounds, but that one I especially didn't like. I feel like if you picked better patches, it could be a decent composition, but with electronic music, picking the right sounds is often far more important than the note choice, melodies, chord progressions, riffs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Riffs
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
ErikLensherr
Banned

I think the drums should be louder.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
willT08
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
I really hated that one lead sound. It sounded like some drill at the dentist. Actually, I didn't really like any of the synth sounds, but that one I especially didn't like. I feel like if you picked better patches, it could be a decent composition, but with electronic music, picking the right sounds is often far more important than the note choice, melodies, chord progressions, riffs, etc.

Dear god this. I think that might have actually been a sample of a drill which has been ****ed with, that was horrible.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
blake1221
‭‭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponized
Some of the sounds remind me of Metroid Prime and now I wanna play that again. But idk, it's too chill for a lot of the genres you named.

Phendrana Drifts, yo.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
ProgFripp74
UG's Djent maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
I think the drums should be quieter.

Fixed.

In all seriousness, the background synth sounds good but the lead is not good, the drums could be quieter and the synth less abrasive then it would fit into ambient. Also the melody and the rhythm are a bit predictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
ProgFripp74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
Oyface
UG's pimping owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos13
Go, Oyface, and become a menace to society
He encouraged me.

Oyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
herby190
slaps basses and faces.

Based on the feedback (most of which was hate for that lead synth, which hurts, because it's one of my favorites), I made some changes before uploading it to Newgrounds. I wanted to find a synth that somewhat resembled a female voice. At some point, I may see if I can find a singer or two to do their own take following the same melody and put it in alongside the synth.

Anyways, if anyone wants to see it with the new synth and other changes in the mixing, you can do so here. Also, Newgrounds has the option to have tracks loop, as this track is intended to do.
herby190 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: