Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
cazador

Changing bass heads?

Recently my bass amp broke. I bought it to a repair store who told me that the speaker was in perfect condition but I would need a new head. I'm just wondering if it makes a difference if I use a higher watt head on the speaker then before.

Here's the speaker itself: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BX1200.aspx , and here's what im thinking of buying: http://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_bxr1800h.htm

Any help would be really appreciated, im pretty bad when it comes to this kind of stuff
cazador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Firstly, you can use a head with a higher wattage than the speaker, providing that you make sure the impedance is compatible. However, don't turn it up too much, because this extra wattage means the head will be capable of pushing the speaker to the point where it will break.

Secondly, your amp broke because it was a Behringer. They're a budget company and their stuff has a bad reputation for breaking (at least, their amplification does, their pro audio stuff is okay). I'd advise looking at a different brand if you can stretch your budget a little bit. Plenty of other manufacturers are making gear which is far better and doesn't cost much... in fact there's a thread on this very forum right now full of suggestions for budget amplification.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
Secondly, your amp broke because it was a Behringer. They're a budget company and their stuff has a bad reputation for breaking (at least, their amplification does, their pro audio stuff is okay). I'd advise looking at a different brand if you can stretch your budget a little bit. Plenty of other manufacturers are making gear which is far better and doesn't cost much... in fact there's a thread on this very forum right now full of suggestions for budget amplification.

This. Getting another Behringer after your first one broke is a bit like getting back with the same abusive bitch after she nearly burned your face off with the iron. Better off just letting it go and finding someone new. I would recommend getting a decent bass speaker head, because when the speaker inevitably goes, you will be able to get a decent one to match

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
cazador

thanks guys, ya I'm prob gonna look for another cheap bass head
cazador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazador
Recently my bass amp broke. I bought it to a repair store who told me that the speaker was in perfect condition but I would need a new head. I'm just wondering if it makes a difference if I use a higher watt head on the speaker then before.

Here's the speaker itself: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BX1200.aspx , and here's what im thinking of buying: http://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_bxr1800h.htm

Any help would be really appreciated, im pretty bad when it comes to this kind of stuff

Bit extreme saying that you need a new head because most repairs are quickly carried out with usualy something very minor needing replacing.
But behringer do have a poor track record regarding reliability.
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: