Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
RunningforCover

Cab to go with my new head. need suggestions!

Hey, I just bought a peavey musician 400 series guitar head, and I have to buy a cab now. I'll be playing very loud and mostly fast music, using fuzz and distortion pedals mostly. Any suggestions on speakers buy? Preferably used and not extremely expensive, any info would help, thanks!
RunningforCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Is it a Classic 400, or Musician 400? I get confused as to which one's the 100 pound tube one.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Katsock

the Jet City JCA24S+ 2x12 is a pretty awesome cab. Does everything you need for a good price. Holds up well and sounds great, my only complaint is the rubber feet can come off if you dont treat it well. we just took all four out of both our cabs and use them that way though.
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Fender Blacktop HH Tele
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
-Endorsed by Gorilla Ears-
-Endorsed by Gibson-
Katsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Can we get a budget, maybe some specific tones you use?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Offworld92
One among the fence.

If you just want something good and cheap, get a Marshall 1960A or a Line 6 Spider Valve cab.

The former has G212T75s, the later has V30s. Both run for $300-350.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
RunningforCover

Its a peavy musician 400 series, heres the exact head http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...214-i2561618.gc

As for tones, really just bassy, heavily distorted/fuzzed, hi gain, ect.

Budget is anywhere from like 70$-200$
Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsock
the Jet City JCA24S+ 2x12 is a pretty awesome cab. Does everything you need for a good price. Holds up well and sounds great, my only complaint is the rubber feet can come off if you dont treat it well. we just took all four out of both our cabs and use them that way though.

+1

I have his cab and he nailed my only complaint. I lost one of the rubber feet, but I ended up just bolting industrial casters onto it. It's made like a tank and the only other "issue" I've had is that the nut around the speaker cable jack came loose one time. I tightened it and have had no such issue since.

It sounds great, has a good amount of lower-mid and bass thump, and is a pretty good cab. The only issue I've had in terms of sound is it's a bit lacking in upper mids which makes it sound a little muddy at times, but with proper EQing, this can be resolved.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Try to get an Avatar 2x12 then.

If you need a 4x12, look for a Peavey MIA cab. I quite like my MS412. The speakers aren't the greatest, but it's extremely solid construction wise.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
Katsock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
+1

I have his cab and he nailed my only complaint. I lost one of the rubber feet, but I ended up just bolting industrial casters onto it. It's made like a tank and the only other "issue" I've had is that the nut around the speaker cable jack came loose one time. I tightened it and have had no such issue since.

It sounds great, has a good amount of lower-mid and bass thump, and is a pretty good cab. The only issue I've had in terms of sound is it's a bit lacking in upper mids which makes it sound a little muddy at times, but with proper EQing, this can be resolved.

yea my peavey tends to cut through enough and handle the muddyness with my normal eq (lucky ha). I was thinking about the casters too. I think I'll be doing that after I retube my head in a few weeks.

Also a good thing about it is you can usually get it for cheaper with a random coupon or Musicians Friend ad. Mine was backordered but while savin like 50 bucks on a sale it didnt really bother me
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Fender Blacktop HH Tele
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
-Endorsed by Gorilla Ears-
-Endorsed by Gibson-
Katsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
RunningforCover

What about the Peavey 412MS? anyone used it before?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsock
yea my peavey tends to cut through enough and handle the muddyness with my normal eq (lucky ha). I was thinking about the casters too. I think I'll be doing that after I retube my head in a few weeks.

Also a good thing about it is you can usually get it for cheaper with a random coupon or Musicians Friend ad. Mine was backordered but while savin like 50 bucks on a sale it didnt really bother me

Yeah, plus they're fairly easy to find used. To fix the slight muddiness to them, all you have to do is add some mids and a little presence. It takes very little adjusting. As for the casters, I got mine for free at the factory I used to work at, and I'm pretty sure they're rated high enough to hold me, my Vengeance, and 2 4x12's without an problem
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: