Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
zilant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Another What Amp Thread

Well, I've got GAS. I know I probably shouldn't be doing this becuase as soon as I get an idea of what I want my cat's going to need sugery or I'll need to fix my car or some shit but this is worth a shot.
I was going to get a 5150iii mini but I realized I didn't need a new amp.
I thought I was giong to get a Agile 7 string but craigslist happened and someone snatched it.
So again I went back to going to get a 5150 iii mini.
Then I started to second guess myself. I wasn't really sure if I wanted that amp. It would be nice. I like it and all. It's a bit tighter and has a bit more attack than what I'm using now (5150 combo). But I can;t help but feel I would only ever want to use the last channel and the clean channel sometimes.
So I decided to hold off on the amp.
Then I thought about it a little more and decided that if UG has tought me anything, it's that what I really need is a new amp.
I'll get a guitar eventually but for now...amp it is. Unless my GAS says otherwise

So as per requirements of the GG&A forum I present you, the information.


Budget? - Practical for me is roughly $1000 american dollars. I could push higher or save up, I don't mind waiting a bit longer for something I really want.

Genres? - I play mostly metal. Think Amon Amarth meets lamb of god, except played like shit. I would also like a bit of versatility. With cleans and different types of distortions. I also plan on using pedals with this amp for stuff like TOOL.

New or Used? - USED IS SO GOOD FOR MY WALLET.

Home or Gig? - Home use with possibility of jamming with others (drummer). I can turn it up often enough during the day but I don't want something that will rock the block. I plan on hooking this up to a 212, which I will also need help picking. That would be a seperate budget though.

Closest City? - I'm in La Mirada, which by Craigslist standards means "Long Beach 562". I also dabble in the "Orange County" craigslist often.

Current Gear? - Schecter Damien fr (5 y/o workhorse), EC-1000(which I might sell to fund another guitar) and a 5150 Combo.



So guys, any suggestions? Things I missed? Pertinent Information I left out? Let me know and I'll help as much as I can.
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
 
Eppicurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
If you're looking for something in a LoG vein, take a look at something from the Mesa series. I'm not sure of the used market or the pricing, but the Royal Atlantic or a MK IV. would be perfect.

I'll let someone else chime in on that though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick
 
cdr_salamander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano, TX
For the price, that mini 5150 III is a great little amp. I was considering one for myself if I ever needed more gain than my Budda.

But yeah, LoG uses Boogies, but I can't imagine finding one for your budget, or a RA for that matter.

Look around, maybe you can find a decent deal on a used Single Rec.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
zilant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
If you're looking for something in a LoG vein, take a look at something from the Mesa series. I'm not sure of the used market or the pricing, but the Royal Atlantic or a MK IV. would be perfect.

I'll let someone else chime in on that though.



I'll clarify that I'm not looking for LOG tone. It was more an example of the type of music I play.
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
 
Eppicurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
Peavey 5150 III Mini for sure then. 3 channels, 2 separate EQ (clean/crunch share an EQ), loads of gain and versatility and super light weight and compact. Great drive sounds for modern metal and for all the classic rock, hard rock, hair metal, etc.

Do you have a chance to try one out?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #6
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur
 
joe_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: sydney, australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Peavey 5150 III Mini for sure then. 3 channels, 2 separate EQ (clean/crunch share an EQ), loads of gain and versatility and super light weight and compact. Great drive sounds for modern metal and for all the classic rock, hard rock, hair metal, etc.

Do you have a chance to try one out?

he already owns a 5150, why buy another?
__________________
YOU KNOW WHAT DOG FOOD TASTES LIKE....TASTES JUST LIKE IT SMELLS....DELICIOUS.

joe_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #7
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
 
Eppicurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
The 5150 and the 5150 III are not the same.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
zilant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Peavey 5150 III Mini for sure then. 3 channels, 2 separate EQ (clean/crunch share an EQ), loads of gain and versatility and super light weight and compact. Great drive sounds for modern metal and for all the classic rock, hard rock, hair metal, etc.

Do you have a chance to try one out?



I have tried one out and really enjoyed it. But I'm worried about just how versitile they are.
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #9
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur
 
joe_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: sydney, australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
The 5150 and the 5150 III are not the same.

they both say 5150, therefore by my powers of deduction, they are the same, or close to anyway. that being said i have never even looke into one or the other.
__________________
YOU KNOW WHAT DOG FOOD TASTES LIKE....TASTES JUST LIKE IT SMELLS....DELICIOUS.

joe_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #10
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
 
Eppicurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
Unless you expand your budget up higher, that's probably one of the most versatile amps you'll find.

Although here are a few things you could check out:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...3268421072.html
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/3294674560.html and pair it with http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/3286548919.html
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #11
vjferrara
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_k
they both say 5150, therefore by my powers of deduction, they are the same, or close to anyway. that being said i have never even looke into one or the other.


The EVH 5150's are made by Fender. Completely different and much better than the Peavey's. Probably the most versatile amp under $2k.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mayday_
That's what he wants you to think. Every action you carry out the next week has already been predetermined by him. You might as well kill yourself.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/thealliance/
vjferrara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #12
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilant
Well, I've got GAS. I know I probably shouldn't be doing this becuase as soon as I get an idea of what I want my cat's going to need sugery or I'll need to fix my car or some shit but this is worth a shot.
I was going to get a 5150iii mini but I realized I didn't need a new amp.
I thought I was giong to get a Agile 7 string but craigslist happened and someone snatched it.
So again I went back to going to get a 5150 iii mini.
Then I started to second guess myself. I wasn't really sure if I wanted that amp. It would be nice. I like it and all. It's a bit tighter and has a bit more attack than what I'm using now (5150 combo). But I can;t help but feel I would only ever want to use the last channel and the clean channel sometimes.
So I decided to hold off on the amp.
Then I thought about it a little more and decided that if UG has tought me anything, it's that what I really need is a new amp.
I'll get a guitar eventually but for now...amp it is. Unless my GAS says otherwise

So as per requirements of the GG&A forum I present you, the information.


Budget? - Practical for me is roughly $1000 american dollars. I could push higher or save up, I don't mind waiting a bit longer for something I really want.

Genres? - I play mostly metal. Think Amon Amarth meets lamb of god, except played like shit. I would also like a bit of versatility. With cleans and different types of distortions. I also plan on using pedals with this amp for stuff like TOOL.

New or Used? - USED IS SO GOOD FOR MY WALLET.

Home or Gig? - Home use with possibility of jamming with others (drummer). I can turn it up often enough during the day but I don't want something that will rock the block. I plan on hooking this up to a 212, which I will also need help picking. That would be a seperate budget though.

Closest City? - I'm in La Mirada, which by Craigslist standards means "Long Beach 562". I also dabble in the "Orange County" craigslist often.

Current Gear? - Schecter Damien fr (5 y/o workhorse), EC-1000(which I might sell to fund another guitar) and a 5150 Combo.



So guys, any suggestions? Things I missed? Pertinent Information I left out? Let me know and I'll help as much as I can.


You can buy my Krankenstein "plus". High gain amp Its within your budget. Its the plus model so its not the crappy thin sounding first version. Great cleans and amazing dirt channel. Highly flexible, only 2 channels and no on-board reverb. (It lacks the crunch channel so you either have to roll back your guitar volume or turn the gain down)

As others have said the Royal Atlantic and Mark Series will get you LoG. Hard to find that used in our area unless some tool is asking 1200 for a mark III.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.

Last edited by R45VT : 10-02-2012 at 02:57 AM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #13
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
i paid $875 on CL for my Mesa MKiv a few weeks ago. great amp. budget friendly.
__________________
WTLT 2014 GG&A

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #14
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
He can get my Krank for 850.

Also the MKIVs are more expensive out here if you can even find them. Best luck is a GC for that and then haggle them down. Even you admitted yours was a low price.

A MKIV under 1K isn't bad. Under 900 is a steal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #15
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
He can get my Krank for 850.

Also the MKIVs are more expensive out here if you can even find them. Best luck is a GC for that and then haggle them down. Even you admitted yours was a low price.

A MKIV under 1K isn't bad. Under 900 is a steal.


yea it was a steal, but doesn't mean they aren't out there, if you look and am patient.

i am pretty lucky with most of my buys, i have a lot of things i want, have a CL app on my phone and it buzzes whenever something goes from my searches, i can get the money in 10 minutes and at their door just in driving time. the trick with buying on CL is to be first on a good deal.
__________________
WTLT 2014 GG&A

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #16
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
It's a rough Mesa market out here. You can get the rectos all day long but no mark ivs.

It's a pain to even find a decent shape 6505 series.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
shredftw
Recto's and Headcrabs
 
shredftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: United Kingdom
the 5153 is almost a different animal to the 5150. It has a fantastic clean channel, a very usable 2nd channel and the high gain channel is just as good as the original 5150.

On topic for TS i'd wait around for a Mark 4 or maybe a 2 channel recto. If you need cleans go Mark 4 if not recto
__________________
Tom Anderson Guitarworks
Suhr Guitars
Ibanez
ESP
Mesa Boogie
Fractal Audio Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
shredftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #18
zilant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredftw
the 5153 is almost a different animal to the 5150. It has a fantastic clean channel, a very usable 2nd channel and the high gain channel is just as good as the original 5150.

On topic for TS i'd wait around for a Mark 4 or maybe a 2 channel recto. If you need cleans go Mark 4 if not recto


I tried out a Mark IV combo at guitar center last weekend and I couldn't get it to sound good.
It was too brittle sounding. Granted, I didn't spend a very long time with it.

I tried a rectifier befor eand I didn't like it either.

Does anyone know how the 5150 iii acts with pedals?
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #19
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
It acts great with pedals from what I have heard. I have not played one in person yet.


Edit: also the Krankenstein plus works well with pedals (Shameless plug)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.

Last edited by R45VT : 10-02-2012 at 11:24 PM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #20
Perverockstar69
Registered User
 
Perverockstar69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I have the Royal Atlantic and, while it will nail Mark Morton's sound, I'm pretty sure it's not what you are looking for. The EVH 5150 seems like a pretty nice suggestion. Also check the Fender Supersonic and the VHT/Fryette Sig-X.
__________________

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.