Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
summer41 er

what is a good/cheap distortion pedal

I have a fender squier strat and a 15r marshall amp. i want a good and cheap distortion pedal or multi effect pedal with distorion. what is a good one???
thx
summer41 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

By 15r Marshall I'm guessing you mean the MG. Buying a new distortion pedal is not going to worth while with the amp and will not improve the sound of it. It'd be a better idea to save that money and put it towards a better quality amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
MultiM

what is you budget? and what music do you play?

Last edited by MultiM : 10-02-2012 at 06:10 AM.
MultiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

I reckon you'd have much more fun with a modelling amp like a Fender Mustang or Peavey Vypyr.

All the distortion you could want, as well as a ton of different amps and effects. Would sound better than your Marshall too.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
summer41 er

stuff I play is a7x, bfmv, ,soad ,pantera and megadeth

my budget at this moment is 100 and yes its the MG

Last edited by summer41 er : 10-02-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Roc8995

A pedal isn't going to get you any closer to those tones. The MG has plenty of gain already, that's not the problem.

Those 100 euro will go a long way towards a new amp. A Vypyr would probably be perfect for you.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Sell the MG, add that to your budget, then buy whatever size of Vypyr you can afford. You will be infinitely happier. You also might consider selling your Squier and getting something with humbuckers. A strat is a pretty poor choice for those styles.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
summer41 er

I know that my squier is a bad guitar but when i bought it I just started playing (any suggestions for a new guitar) . I have enough overdrive on my amp but no distortion
Old 10-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
tubetime86

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer41 er
I know that my squier is a bad guitar but when i bought it I just started playing (any suggestions for a new guitar) . I have enough overdrive on my amp but no distortion

First off, its not so much that its a bad guitar; its a bad guitar for what you play. The bands you mention almost exclusively use humbuckers, and your guitar is equipped with single coils.

Second, overdrive and distortion are the same thing. Your amp is not 'lacking' anything, it just isn't any good.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
summer41 er

What is the difference between single coil and humbuckers?
and I heard that overdrive is used for rock and distortion for metal

My pickups

Last edited by summer41 er : 10-02-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
Roc8995

A humbucker is basically two single coils in one pickup. It helps cancel out noise and it adds more output. The two pickups on the left (neck and middle position) are singles and the right one (we call it 'bridge position") is a humbucker.

As for overdrive being for rock and distortion for metal...no. Again, overdrive is distortion. Your MG already has distortion built in, and plenty of it.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
tubetime86

Oh nice, you've got a 'fat strat!' That means you do have a humbucker in your bridge position. That will help you put off selling the guitar for a while. Its still not great, but its not as bad as a regular strat, which only has single coils.

As for overdrive and distortion, technically both are simply 'distortion' but people use the term 'overdrive' because distortion is the sound created by overdriving components... So basically they are the same.

For some odd reason in pedals they usually call the lower gain (less heavy distortion) ones overdrives and the higher gain (heavy distortion) ones distortions... There is really no good reason for that (in my opinion) but its become a pretty common misconception.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
For some odd reason in pedals they usually call the lower gain (less heavy distortion) ones overdrives and the higher gain (heavy distortion) ones distortions... There is really no good reason for that (in my opinion) but its become a pretty common misconception.

if you ask me, if they make the hard clipping ones (diodes to ground) distortions and soft clipping (diodes in feedback loop round the opamp) overdrives, that's a good thing.

Of course, there's little or no rhyme nor reason to the naming, so you probably have a point.

also, i'd say a fat strat is pretty sweet for heavier stuff. (unless you meant it wasn't that great because it was a squier, in which case, fair enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
tubetime86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
1. if you ask me, if they make the hard clipping ones (diodes to ground) distortions and soft clipping (diodes in feedback loop round the opamp) overdrives, that's a good thing.

Of course, there's little or no rhyme nor reason to the naming, so you probably have a point.

2. also, i'd say a fat strat is pretty sweet for heavier stuff. (unless you meant it wasn't that great because it was a squier, in which case, fair enough

1. I, as well as the majority of guitar players, do not understand what you mean... So I think the distinction is pointless from a marketing standpoint. From an electronics standpoint distortion is the only correct term anyway... And it doesn't necessarily mean what we guitarists think it does.

2. Ya initially I was saying it wasn't good because I assumed it was a single coil only model. Now that I know he has a humbucker I don't really see much point in messing with the guitar. A Squier may not be great, but you could do a lot worse.

Besides I'm in the 'cheap guitar' club. I don't believe in nice guitars.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

1) well, sure, but i don't really believe in marketing anyway I mean, "correct from a marketing standpoint" generally means "factually incorrect but we can sorta spin it like that and not get investigated by the advertising standards agency"

I only have the shakiest knowledge of electronics too. But, from what i can tell, where those clipping diodes are in the circuit seems to matter.

different discplines often use different names, so that's fair enough, if you ask me. I'm well aware distortion might be the only electrically correct term, but most guitarists understand what overdrive and distortion are, and how they differ. Plus, as i said, you could argue they are different based on the circuit topology- overdrives tend to have the diodes in one place, distortions in another.

2) agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
MaaZeus

Quote:
and I heard that overdrive is used for rock and distortion for metal

Basics in nutshell. Lets see if I got everything right too...

Distortion comes when you try to push (overdrive) components louder than they are capable of. It wont go any louder, just distort more and more. In case of metal its usually the preamp. On overdrive channel turn the Gain (preamp volume) way up to hear what happens, just remember to keep the Master Volume down so you dont blast your windows and ears.

Some amps are simply not high gain enough especially many years ago. This is where the pedals come in. To get metal tones people used overdrive pedals to boost the volume (and maybe add some mild distortion of their own) of the signal coming to preamp, to allow way more overdrive than the amp own OD can do alone. Tubescreamer was a popular one. And they are still useful, some amps sing with booster. Only works on Tube amps and some Hybrids though, boosting solidstate amps helps nothing and MG is SS amp, no?

And then there are dedicated distortion pedals IE the million "metal distortion" pedals on the market. Basically they are same things as booster pedals, but higher gain. Unlike booster pedals above you plug these into the Clean channel of your amp (unless there is something special with combination of amp distortion and distortion pedal. search Entombed Sound on Youtube for example). The pedal does all the distortion work.

I may not be 100% accurate but this is the way I have understood it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 10-02-2012 at 03:25 PM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #17
tubetime86

^Not really... Tubescreamers and other overdrives have 'distortion' circuits in them. There is such thing as a 'clean boost' but that's different. So no, not really.

The only real distinction I've ever heard is the one Dave is referrring to... But I don't know enough about the circuits to confirm or deny...

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
MaaZeus

Quote:
^Not really... Tubescreamers and other overdrives have 'distortion' circuits in them. There is such thing as a 'clean boost' but that's different. So no, not really.

The only real distinction I've ever heard is the one Dave is referrring to... But I don't know enough about the circuits to confirm or deny...

I think I did mention that they can add a distortion of their own. Just way less than dedicated distortion pedals that are on the market now. I think that was originally their intented purpose too, but people found out that they work so much better boosting the preamp?

Again, I am talking this from the POV of metalhead, what use pedals are good for for us. Either as boosters or dedicated distortion if absolutely necessary (better amp way preferable).

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 10-02-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
tubetime86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
I think I did mention that they can add a distortion of their own. Just way less than dedicated distortion pedals that are on the market now. I think that was originally their intented purpose too, but people found out that they work so much better boosting the preamp?

You said 'maybe add some mild distortion of their own' as if that's an afterthought that some do... Its not. All overdrives do that, or else they'd be clean boosts.

See the problem here is there is no such thing as a 'dedicated distortion pedal.' There are two classifications that actually have a concrete definition based on circuits; 'distortion pedal' which encompasses both overdrives and distortions and 'clean boosts' which simply amplify the signal. I know what you're saying, and its commonly accepted, but in real terms it has no meaning.

Again, if there is a real distinction between overdrive and distortion pedals it is what Dave suggested... But even then I'd bet there are exceptions to the rule on both sides.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
MaaZeus

Quote:
You said 'maybe add some mild distortion of their own' as if that's an afterthought that some do... Its not. All overdrives do that, or else they'd be clean boosts.

See the problem here is there is no such thing as a 'dedicated distortion pedal.' There are two classifications that actually have a concrete definition based on circuits; 'distortion pedal' which encompasses both overdrives and distortions and 'clean boosts' which simply amplify the signal. I know what you're saying, and its commonly accepted, but in real terms it has no meaning.

Again, if there is a real distinction between overdrive and distortion pedals it is what Dave suggested... But even then I'd bet there are exceptions to the rule on both sides.

Just my typical disorganised "flow of thought" posting and remembering something afterwards. Expect a lot edits with me.

You obviously know more about this than me. I'm still a n00b myself doing lots and lots of reading.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 10-02-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Rate This Thread: