Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #21
ElisabithaOak
Banned

I don't think deferring gratification is anything noble, nor is it a sign of maturity. It's just another decision. Nobody can tell you what you want, and it's okay if you don't know what you want.

Do what you want Mr. James and consider the possibility that maybe you don't want to go to uni or do well in high school. Also consider the possibility that you don't need an end goal, or a clear picture of where you want to go. I am of the temperament of the worldview just described.
ElisabithaOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #22
Simsimius
Peace. Love. Solidarity.

Get a timer (online one is fine).

Set it to 30 minutes and only do work until the timer is over. Do that everyday - be it assignments or revision.
You can increase and add more 30 minute block but try and do what is manageable and something you can keep doing without getting too fatigued (so don't do 4x30 minutes if you know 2x30 is more likely to be something you can maintain consistently).
Remember doing little but often (even 30mins a day) of dedicated work and focus, will give you wonderful benefits.
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Simsimius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #23
skylerjames13
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunk
I figured as much. I am as well, and have taken the time to learn a lot about it. Our reward centers are a little under/differently developed. In time they catch up but "laziness" is extremely common. It's tough for people like us to stay motivated (compared to others) for that reason. Adderall doesn't really directly address this problem, and not much can for that matter. You just need to start setting shorter goals and get addicted to completing them.

EDIT: Promise this isn't a load of shit or pseudoscience

with ADHD (ADD is adhd anyway now) that can take longer

Yeah, Adderall doesn't do shit for my motivation or anything, but it definitely helps me concentrate and focus and all that jazz. I'll try with the shorter goals thing too. That sounds like it could be help. Anything else you could recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
What do you want me to do, hold your damn hand? Put my hand on one spot of the monitor and you do the same on your monitor and we have some pseudo-long distance gay moment and then suddenly you're going to have the motivation to do your work? Stop making threads in the pit and just go do your fucking work.

PS the best way to stop procrastinating is to just not let yourself do it at all if you have an issue with it. Just do it immediately and get it over with. Do it consistently enough and it'll develop into a routine and you'll be good to go.

Yes I wanna hold your hand Thrash. Please put your hand on the monitor at 6:45 your time. Then we can touch.

Yeah, the less I procrastinate the more I get done and all. I'm gonna try to just get the shit done that I need to when I need to rather than waiting and putting it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
"Obi-Wan getting hot on Hoth"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
Obi Wang and his new apprentice, Phil McAvity.
skylerjames13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #24
skylerjames13
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisabithaOak
I don't think deferring gratification is anything noble, nor is it a sign of maturity. It's just another decision. Nobody can tell you what you want, and it's okay if you don't know what you want.

Do what you want Mr. James and consider the possibility that maybe you don't want to go to uni or do well in high school. Also consider the possibility that you don't need an end goal, or a clear picture of where you want to go. I am of the temperament of the worldview just described.

Yes, um thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
"Obi-Wan getting hot on Hoth"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
Obi Wang and his new apprentice, Phil McAvity.
skylerjames13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #25
ElisabithaOak
Banned

You better start considering it

This isn't the exact emote I want but it'll do.
ElisabithaOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #26
Grimriffer
UG's bigger testicle

as I grow older I find it harder to give a ****. I think the same is happening to you, laddy.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:47 AM   #27
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerjames13
Yeah, Adderall doesn't do shit for my motivation or anything, but it definitely helps me concentrate and focus and all that jazz. I'll try with the shorter goals thing too. That sounds like it could be help. Anything else you could recommend?

learn to be patient with yourself. these things take time
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #28
megano28
Of Stone

Just keep doing what you're doing.

I'll like my Bacon Avocado Cheeseburger with some curly fries on the side, and no drink. Burn my bacon and there will be hell to pay.

Honestly, call me callous, but it's that lack of motivation which makes college degrees so scarce in this world. If you snap out of it, good. If you don't you're one less person that will have the qualifications to compete with me for a job in this economy. So forgive me if I can't see the reason why a pep talk is necessary or beneficial
megano28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:59 AM   #29
chaoticfables
hooooome studiooo

Dude, final year of high school here and feeling exactly the same thing. I usually sit down for hours without being able to get anything done because I feel the same way.

I usually write a list of things that I need to do that day and if I don't do it by the end of the day I feel bad about it. Try it

soundcloud
a stupid scrapbook for my music
chaoticfables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #30
Jyrgen
Used Register

TS in the OP you just listed the reasons you should study. Read them again and consider whether they are worth the work or not.

It's not complicated. I know from experience. I kind of let myself slip during the first half of my senior year, but got back on track better than ever during my whole high school studies in the last half of that last year, and did surprisingly well in my finals.

All you need to is to kick your own butt, and listen to hardcore while studying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Vote for Jyrgles, no more babies!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #31
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

Eat healthier food if you're not already. Whenever I eat crappy food I always feel lazy and fall behind on stuff. Oh, and also just do the work. It's not hard.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #32
Phazon
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
Eat healthier food if you're not already. Whenever I eat crappy food I always feel lazy and fall behind on stuff. Oh, and also just do the work. It's not hard.

Yeah! It's odd how food really does affect you like that.
Phazon is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: