Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
_inthewoodshed

Amp advice

Hey,
I started playing bass just under 18 months ago now, self taught. I got a bass and amp off eBay (I know, I know) - a Fender Squier Affinity P-Bass (in Candy Apple Red, just fyi) and its accompanying Fender Rumble 15W amp. I don't know much about the technical side of amps, but I know it's not a great one. I'm still not a great bass player (other things like school and playing sax have a place in my life too) and haven't found a band / found anyone willing to form a band yet, to the disappointment of my father - I'm the only musical person in the family, so it would seem he's going overboard on the encouragement.
Anyway, for my 16th birthday in May, my dad got me a Marshall MB4410 combo amp (again off eBay), which I was initially kinda horrified with - it comes up to my hips and weighs more than me. It makes a lovely sound and I love using it, but I don't know if it's too big for the usage I'm looking at - primarily an amp for rehearsing at home, but which could also be used for small gigs if the need arose.
Could anyone advise me on this, and on any subsequent (preferably more portable, and possibly less powerful?) alternatives?
Thanks all!
India
_inthewoodshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Phil Starr

I'd probably advise you to wait a while, You have the Fender amp for bedroom practice and the Marshall to gig with, though that is a long way away. So long as you can store the Marshall what is the problem? I assume your dad will help you transport it if necessary.

The problem with middle sized amp/combos you see in music shops is that especially at the cheaper end they struggle to keep up with a drummer, and the young drummers you are likely to be playing with are going to be loud. You've rightly recognised the Marshall as overkill but it will do everything you need for a while. Once you are playing regularly in a band you will quickly get a clearer picture of what you really need and the sound you want to achieve.

If you do want to change look for something with a 15" speaker or a couple of 10's and about 200W. Avoid the 75-100W combos because they are too big for practice and too small for gigging though they may well do for rehearsal in a smallish room.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Starr
I'd probably advise you to wait a while, You have the Fender amp for bedroom practice and the Marshall to gig with, though that is a long way away. So long as you can store the Marshall what is the problem? I assume your dad will help you transport it if necessary.

The problem with middle sized amp/combos you see in music shops is that especially at the cheaper end they struggle to keep up with a drummer, and the young drummers you are likely to be playing with are going to be loud. You've rightly recognised the Marshall as overkill but it will do everything you need for a while. Once you are playing regularly in a band you will quickly get a clearer picture of what you really need and the sound you want to achieve.

If you do want to change look for something with a 15" speaker or a couple of 10's and about 200W. Avoid the 75-100W combos because they are too big for practice and too small for gigging though they may well do for rehearsal in a smallish room.

I do not particularly agree with the 100W cambos. I have a fender M80 which is 160 watts, but using the 15 speaker it comes with, it's only 100 watts or so. And i used it in a full band rehearsal at 3 (yes, 3/10) and it really shined. Still, maybe it's a "loud" 100 watter, what would i know. Still, i agree that anything less than 1X12 might not be enough.

On the overkill note, playing with large powerful amps for home preactice isn't really an issue. It just give you a little fiddling to make it stay at home practicing volumes (the master knob becomes pretty sensible at low volumes) but that's pretty much the only "issue". Remeber the simplest rule. With poerful amps, you can turn down, but with little amps, you may not be able to turn up if you need it.

Still, i agree with you that the marshall may work fine in a full band situation and that right now, it's the only thing that really matters.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
John Swift

In 50 years of gigging and playing in bands (once four at the same time) I've never rehearsed with anything other than my gigging rig.
I don't believe in practice/rehearsal amps, I need to get my true sound whenever I rehearse or practice plus I find better things to spend my money on than little Noddy 8" speakered toys.
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn

Last edited by John Swift : 10-15-2012 at 11:20 AM.
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Sliide90027

India,

It sounds like size matters to you.

A 4x10 is still no small proposition to anyone really. it came out as the solution to the 8x10 Cabinet of the SVT.

Thankfully things have progressed from there, but the bad news is that the small, powerful and toneful rigs of doom are expensive. These are no lightweight items in power and price.

Companies such as Phil Jones, Genz Benz, Aguilar, and GK, not to mention Mark Bass are all aimed at customers like you. who need power in unassuming packages.

You can find used some small 1 and 2x12 Combo amps (Orange has cabinets with the Speakers in line with one another, small cab supposed to really be powerful) but they will be pricey. You will be buying without hearing them when you huy from Ebay.

I recommend that for what ever you choose, if you can find a rig with at least 1 12ax7 tube in the Preamp, and even a solid state preamp as well like the Genz Benz Shuttle Max, that you will be going in a direction that makes you happy.

These are serious gigging amps, so it is no small matter.
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
askrere

I have the same Candy Apple Red Squier! Very cool bass!

Your dad sounds like a real nice guy, but yea a 4x10 bass combo sounds like a back breaker.

Currently my "clean" amp setup, is a Carvin BX500 into two GK MBE 212 cabs with several pedals.

For you I'd one GK 8 ohm 2x12 and a GK head would be pretty nifty. I have a GK MB200 head it's great for the price and now is a backup for my BX500.

Swift, I love using my setup whenever I can, but my 8" crate amp (was free) is very nice to put in the car and use at dorms, apartment jams etc.

Nothing is better than a 8" amp that fits under the bed in a sub 200 sq. ft dorm room.

Last edited by askrere : 10-15-2012 at 11:31 AM.
askrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by askrere
For you I'd one GK 8 ohm 2x12 and a GK head would be pretty nifty. I have a GK MB200 head it's great for the price and now is a backup for my BX500.

The only 2x12 I've actualy used that can cut it on a live gig is the Messa Walkabout 1x12" plus 1x12" passive radiator
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 10-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
askrere

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swift
The only 2x12 I've actualy used that can cut it on a live gig is the Messa Walkabout 1x12" plus 1x12" passive radiator

What is a passive radiator?

The Gk cabs are loud, dunno what your issue was with them, but please let me know.

I will be using two 2x12's stacked vertically.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliide90027
You can find used some small 1 and 2x12 Combo amps (Orange has cabinets with the Speakers in line with one another, small cab supposed to really be powerful) but they will be pricey. You will be buying without hearing them when you huy from Ebay.

The Orange design is more complex than a standard 2x12, at least there are design features that make it efficient unlike the Trace Elliot 1x15 of yesteryear where a basic wooden box loaded with an ex factory 300 watt 15" speaker which cost around £32 GBP ended up in UK music stores for £499, this was some 25-30 years ago
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn

Last edited by John Swift : 10-15-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
Sliide90027

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swift

We are getting into Mini, Micro, and Nano Rigs of Doom territory, because the OP is intimidated about moving the 4x10.

There are THANK GOD many choices here.

For me, Mesa gives no joy tonally.
AS for ti being the only thing, my little 1x12 Combo with 1x12 ext. got me fired for being too loud by a Guitarist with 24 12's, yes 3 Stacks. (Of Course I am at 425w)

I unfortunately embarass people. Mostly with questions, Oh well.

There is plenty in the small rigs that will bring IT.

I fault none for their choices, but each will have its limitations the smaller it gets. Thus, I am looking for a Hartke 1x15 HyDrive to test out with my 1x12 Combo since it is supposed to go down to 20hz. Anyone in Dalas have one I can rent for a couple of hours?
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
askrere

Are you in Dallas Texas? or is Dalas another place? Are you the same person as the OP with a different name?

Why did you say india randomly?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #12
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by askrere
What is a passive radiator?

The Gk cabs are loud, dunno what your issue was with them, but please let me know.

I will be using two 2x12's stacked vertically.

Hi, I have no issue with GK cabs, what I do have issue with is paying for a name as you do in many cases.

Regarding 'passive radiators':-
You usualy have a cab loaded with two speakers, the first is wired direct from the amplifier whereas the second speaker is not connected to anything and doesn't have a magnet it is just a loudspeaker cone mounted on a chassis, the passive speaker reacts to the cone (air) movement of the active speaker, in the case of the 'Walkabout' the passive speaker is loaded face down on the bottom panel of the cab so idealy it should not be mounted on soft furnishings or thick carpets.
I've used on of these (2x12) and found it to be impressive, the 2x15 even moreso but the hefty price (especialy in the UK) of the 2x15 stopped me from buying.
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn

Rate This Thread: