Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
ThatGuyAlberto

Busted Mesa/Boogie. What do I do?

Recently I bought my first tube amp: a Mesa/Boogie Maverick Dual Rectifier. I was mega-glad to have finally found the tone I was looking for.
I played the heck out of it for a few good weeks before it went kaput.
The problem is that the gain channel only produces uncontrollable noise that comes on whenever I have the treble knob anywhere past 6. Anywhere before that and all I get are very loud cleans without any distortion.
I have tried replacing the tubes but the same problems exist. However, the clean channel has always played really well without any problems.
Anybody know what is wrong here?
ThatGuyAlberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

If you did an entire re-tube and the problems still persists, then your best bet is to take it to a tech. Anything that would be wrong after that point is going to probably involve opening up your amp, which contains lethal voltages in it. Unless you know what you're doing, it's a bad idea to mess with amps. If it's only a few weeks old, it should still be under warranty if you bought it new. If you bought it used, you're probably going to have to pay a tech. It's one of the downsides of used gear.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
guitardedhero

You replace preamp tubes?
Amps:
Peavey 6505+/Mesa 4x12
Pedalboard:
TC Polytune
ISP Decimator G String
Green Rhino
MXR Phase 90
MXR 10 band EQ
BBE Sonic Stomp
Guyatone MDm5 Delay
Guyatone MD3 Delay
TC Hall of Fame Reverb
guitardedhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Please go into more detail on what you did with the tubes. We need moAR info.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Doesn't sound like he did anything to the tubes yet.

I'd be interested in the answer though, because a couple months ago I was playing a Dual Rec in guitar center that totally had this same thing going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyAlberto
Recently I bought my first tube amp: a Mesa/Boogie Maverick Dual Rectifier. I was mega-glad to have finally found the tone I was looking for.
I played the heck out of it for a few good weeks before it went kaput.
The problem is that the gain channel only produces uncontrollable noise that comes on whenever I have the treble knob anywhere past 6. Anywhere before that and all I get are very loud cleans without any distortion.
I have tried replacing the tubes but the same problems exist. However, the clean channel has always played really well without any problems.
Anybody know what is wrong here?

Do you guys actually read the posts? I would say it sounds like he definitely tried replacing the tubes.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Do you guys actually read the posts? I would say it sounds like he definitely tried replacing the tubes.

Are you dumb?

That statement is very vague. Did he replace all or just switch around the current ones in different positions? Did he swap a known good on in different places?

Lots of questions.

Last edited by R45VT : 10-02-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

And did he clean the sockets when he changed the tubes? There is certainly a lot of missing information.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
95thFallout
Dave Grohl's the Man

Sounds like a resistor in the gain channel was they're any weird smells or burning from the amp?
95thFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Are you dumb?

That statement is very vague. Did he replace all or just switch around the current ones in different positions? Did he swap a known good on in different places?

Lots of questions.

Cool the jets, bud. It was directed toward Danjo's Guitar and guitardedhero. He does need to give more info, but if he says "I replaced the tubes" then that would read "I out new tubes in the amp and took the old ones out". I agree with you that he needs to be more specific, but blatantly saying "i don't think he did anything to the tubes" makes it look like you didn't read the post at all. He obviously did SOMETHING to the tubes. I just read it in context how it sounded and answered, making sure to point out that my advice only applies if he replaced all of the tubes. However, replaced the tubes means replaced the tubes. I think that sounds pretty clear to me.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

You will find out its often that missing piece of information that will lead you to a conclusion to solve the problem. Ask open ended questions and try to get more info. Don't easily dismiss the small details or assume they did anything properly...

I can't tell you how many times people have found their active pickup problems were bad batteries that had just been installed, horrible intonation cause by bad strings, etc. Always start with very basic. (All after spending hours or days messing with everything else)

And I am cool bro I just wanted enlarge the font as well.

Last edited by R45VT : 10-02-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #12
guitardedhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Cool the jets, bud. It was directed toward Danjo's Guitar and guitardedhero. He does need to give more info, but if he says "I replaced the tubes" then that would read "I out new tubes in the amp and took the old ones out". I agree with you that he needs to be more specific, but blatantly saying "i don't think he did anything to the tubes" makes it look like you didn't read the post at all. He obviously did SOMETHING to the tubes. I just read it in context how it sounded and answered, making sure to point out that my advice only applies if he replaced all of the tubes. However, replaced the tubes means replaced the tubes. I think that sounds pretty clear to me.

It sounds like a preamp tube issue if I had to guess and he simply said he tried replacing the tubes. Was that power tubes only? After reading the OP you cannot rule out a tube problem.
Amps:
Peavey 6505+/Mesa 4x12
Pedalboard:
TC Polytune
ISP Decimator G String
Green Rhino
MXR Phase 90
MXR 10 band EQ
BBE Sonic Stomp
Guyatone MDm5 Delay
Guyatone MD3 Delay
TC Hall of Fame Reverb
guitardedhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #13
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Sounds like a classic microphonic preamp tube to be honest, so as stated it depends which ones you actually replaced.

Lovely amp by the way, extremely underrated.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #14
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
You will find out its often that missing piece of information that will lead you to a conclusion to solve the problem. Ask open ended questions and try to get more info. Don't easily dismiss the small details or assume they did anything properly...

I can't tell you how many times people have found their active pickup problems were bad batteries that had just been installed, horrible intonation cause by bad strings, etc. Always start with very basic. (All after spending hours or days messing with everything else)

And I am cool bro I just wanted enlarge the font as well.

Yeah, like I said, I was assuming that he meant he replaced all of the tubes when he said he replaced them. I was mostly annoyed because of someone saying they didn't think he messed with the tubes at all when he blatantly said he did. It's one of those things that grates at my nerves. If you aren't going to thoroughly read the post, how can you possibly give good advice about it? It would be like going to your mechanic and telling him your car won't start and that you tried a new battery and he turns around and says "well my first guess would be the battery, since you haven't tried that". You would just want to smack him and be like "F***ING EARS! DO YOU HAVE THEM?!" I mean, I would understand if OP had typed a Novel out, but it's fairly short and to the point.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

This could be a lot of things. Something as simple as a dirty tube socket to a faulty solder joint. They use pcb mounted tube sockets iirc so pulling tubes could have exacerbated a bad joint between socket and board.
Start by cleaning the sockets. Spray some contact cleaner onto the tube and work it in and out of the socket.
If jiggling the tube while running (wear gloves) makes a noise it will be either the soldering or the socket itself.
It could also be a faulty pot. You can spot those normally by it making ugly noises as you turn the pot.
If cleaning the tube sockets doesn't fix it then the other things will require soldering so if that is beyond you take it to a tech.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 10-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
thetoneranger

the other guitarist in my band has a duel rec and a few weeks ago something similar happened to him, i forget which channel it was but im pretty sure it was the gain, the sound just totaly went to crap, the clean channel was fine. It turned out to be the reverb, when you switched it off all was fine. just a thought.
thetoneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #17
ThatGuyAlberto

Sorry guys. I should have been more specific. I replaced all of the power and pre-amp tubes. and pre-amp tubes

And I am really glad that I picked out this amp. Everything I would want with my tone is here.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #18
ThatGuyAlberto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
This could be a lot of things. Something as simple as a dirty tube socket to a faulty solder joint. They use pcb mounted tube sockets iirc so pulling tubes could have exacerbated a bad joint between socket and board.
Start by cleaning the sockets. Spray some contact cleaner onto the tube and work it in and out of the socket.
If jiggling the tube while running (wear gloves) makes a noise it will be either the soldering or the socket itself.
It could also be a faulty pot. You can spot those normally by it making ugly noises as you turn the pot.
If cleaning the tube sockets doesn't fix it then the other things will require soldering so if that is beyond you take it to a tech.

Thanks. I will try that out.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #19
ThatGuyAlberto

Other info: -I am new to tube amps so I have no clue what I am doing here. I just replaced the power and pre-amp tubes and thought all would be fine.
-THe main problem has something to do with the treble knob. Turned at more than half way it will either make over the top noise or give me extra loud and toneless cleans.
-THE TREBLE KNOB IS ALSO VERY LOOSE. That might be the most important detail I left out.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:16 AM   #20
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

If it's under warranty just send it back.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Rate This Thread: