Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Running Two Different Type of Power Tubes?

Would there be any advantage to this? My amp is able to run two different sets, but would it really be useful in any way? I'm about to re-tube, and I planned on buying KT77's because of their mixed properties between EL34's and 6L6's, but if I just ran one set of EL34's and one set of 6L6's, would it be better?
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Would there be any advantage to this? My amp is able to run two different sets, but would it really be useful in any way? I'm about to re-tube, and I planned on buying KT77's because of their mixed properties between EL34's and 6L6's, but if I just ran one set of EL34's and one set of 6L6's, would it be better?

power tubes aren't not the best place for modifying tone. i personally don't think there is a bunch of tonal difference between a EL34/6CA7 from a 6L6GC.

i do run a genelex KT66 and a mullard EL34 in my THD (because it is one of those class A amps that can do that), but i wouldn't swear by some crazy tonal difference because i do this.

from what i have heard of KT77's you should realize a more pronounced bass response over EL34's or 6L6GC's. it should be a bit of a different animal than those tubes.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I'll probably just go with the KT77's then, for consistency between 60w/120w settings. I've heard A/B demos of 6L6GC vs EL34 in a Dual Rec, and the 6L6 has more bass and less midrange grind/push, whereas the EL34s are not very bassy but have that more extensive midrange. From what I understand, KT77's are basically a halfway point between the two, with their own top-end character. They have the bass of 6L6's with the midrange of an EL34. I honestly wouldn't expect some massive change, but the subtleties of tone are what make each person's sound unique. Not to mention just upgrading from my current 6L6's (the stock ones that came with my amp...they're Ruby rebrands of a chinese tube) is going to make a good difference anyway.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

can your amp even run el34 type tubes?

nvm.

kt77s would be cool.

Last edited by AcousticMirror : 10-03-2012 at 12:43 AM.
AcousticMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

It can run pretty much any Power Tube. Just another reason I absolutely love this amp. I think it's only a very few features away from being the absolute perfect amplifier (IMO). I'm fairly sure I'm just gonna run 4 KT77's. The only reason I've been thinking otherwise is because if our Rhythm Guitarist's tubes blew in his Rectoverb, I could pull tubes 3&4 and run my amp in 60w mode and let him run mine in the case that we would for some reason have no spares. However, that should never be the case, and I would rather not sacrifice my tone for his lack of preparedness. I was thinking that I might still be able to get the same effect by running EL34's in 1&4 and 6L6's in 2&3, but I would still rather run all KT77's
Old 10-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
It can run pretty much any Power Tube. Just another reason I absolutely love this amp. I think it's only a very few features away from being the absolute perfect amplifier (IMO). I'm fairly sure I'm just gonna run 4 KT77's. The only reason I've been thinking otherwise is because if our Rhythm Guitarist's tubes blew in his Rectoverb, I could pull tubes 3&4 and run my amp in 60w mode and let him run mine in the case that we would for some reason have no spares. However, that should never be the case, and I would rather not sacrifice my tone for his lack of preparedness. I was thinking that I might still be able to get the same effect by running EL34's in 1&4 and 6L6's in 2&3, but I would still rather run all KT77's

I'm gonna be running 4 x KT77's in my Armageddon

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: