Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
ckhgator

Thumbs down Can't Find a Band

So i've been playing guitar for like 4 years or so, and I'm very passionate about it. However, being a blues-rock/garage-rock/folk-rock (essentially anything that requires a fuzz pedal and an out of tune guitar ) guitar player, there is literally nobody I know that likes any band i do, let alone any actual musician that does. And i've yet to meet a young guitar player that knows what a slide is.
I'm in high school, and right now all the musicians are in these "screamo" or "hardcore" (sorry if I offend you favorite genre) that I really dont care for. I could go play with them, but it's like telling dan auerbach to fill in for kirk hammett for a few shows; it's not gonna happen.
Is anybody/has anybody been in a situation like this? And if so, any advice? Thanks
ckhgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
chronowarp

Be flexible.
Or play alone.

Gaining live playing experience and learning band politics/promotion is going to be very helpful in the future, regardless of whether or not the band you're in is your digs.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
nosuchmanasmole
F**k 11 my amp goes to 13

if your musics so niche then probably your best option is to find some poor players who want to just play anything and mentor them into the band

unless your oozing with songwriting ability and charisma in which case good musician will flock to you to try and ride you to sucess anyway
nosuchmanasmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
ckhgator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosuchmanasmole
if your musics so niche then probably your best option is to find some poor players who want to just play anything and mentor them into the band

I mean that anything within the realms of rock to blues im happy with. The point is that all of the musicians I know are all in the "hardcore" niche. I kinda explained it vaguely. Is this like everywhere? Teens only play metal?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
chronowarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhgator
I mean that anything within the realms of rock to blues im happy with. The point is that all of the musicians I know are all in the "hardcore" niche. I kinda explained it vaguely. Is this like everywhere? Teens only play metal?

Who cares?

A band is a band is a band.

If there is nobody in your area that is playing what you want, then you have two options: Don't join a band, and complain about how nobody likes the noise rock you want to play. Or join a band that may not be, ideally, what you think you want to play, but along the way you will develop indispensable musical and networking skills that you will be PISSED you missed out on if and when you decide to join or start a group that's more stylistically in line with what you want to do.

Last edited by chronowarp : 10-03-2012 at 05:29 PM.
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
ckhgator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
A band is a band is a band.

If there is nobody in your area that is playing what you want, then you have two options: Don't join a band, and complain about how nobody likes the noise rock you want to play.

I realize that im gonna have to compromise, but im not about to just toss out all my gear geared more towards rock and blues, and start stocking up on cheap japanese guitars and 100 watt stacks.

I understand what your advice is, but is everywhere like this? Do teens only want to play metal? Im not some ideological idiot guitarist stuck in my "noise rock" dreams. I can play anything from soft folk music to hard edged rock, but metal isn't what im gonna do. IMO, sweeps and tapping isn't really musical, but more of a pissing contest, and thats never interested me. I'd rather take a really simple theory to guitar playing than trying to incorporate every exotic scale i can find into my music.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
DrewsGotTheLife

Ah I know exactly what you mean ckhgator. To me I'd just work alone and do my own thing, until that point you actually come across someone that connects with you. I'm in a junior band and its a bit annoying, except for one friend/student i have who actually is open minded, but anywho, I'd also agree with chronowarp.
DrewsGotTheLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
chronowarp

Quote:
I realize that im gonna have to compromise, but im not about to just toss out all my gear geared more towards rock and blues, and start stocking up on cheap japanese guitars and 100 watt stacks.

I understand what your advice is, but is everywhere like this? Do teens only want to play metal? Im not some ideological idiot guitarist stuck in my "noise rock" dreams. I can play anything from soft folk music to hard edged rock, but metal isn't what im gonna do. IMO, sweeps and tapping isn't really musical, but more of a pissing contest, and thats never interested me. I'd rather take a really simple theory to guitar playing than trying to incorporate every exotic scale i can find into my music.

:-\
Why the hell would you have to do anything with your gear?

You're killing me, I can't even begin to address these types of mindsets because they're so far beyond anything I can even conceive as a musician.

Have you actually tried networking with anyone in your area? Made a craigslist ad? Go to local shows? I mean either you start your own band where you're writing what you want to play...or you find a band that needs a guitar player and go about it that way. Not a lot of other options.

Tons of kids in my area play metalcore, but that's not all that's happening. I doubt it's like that where you are either, you just need to look harder.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
ckhgator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
:-\
Why the hell would you have to do anything with your gear?

You're killing me, I can't even begin to address these types of mindsets because they're so far beyond anything I can even conceive as a musician.

Have you actually tried networking with anyone in your area? Made a craigslist ad? Go to local shows? I mean either you start your own band where you're writing what you want to play...or you find a band that needs a guitar player and go about it that way. Not a lot of other options.

Tons of kids in my area play metalcore, but that's not all that's happening. I doubt it's like that where you are either, you just need to look harder.

So, with a vox tube amp and a big muff, im gonna start chugging out deathcore riffs? While gear doesn't make a musician, it obviouslly helps to extend his strengths and achieve the feeling that are unattainable without it. You know that.

I know many musicians in my area. I did for a period have a drummer id play with, but he is a (drumroll) metalhead, and went off and started a metallica cover band that wont go anywhere. The problem isn't a lack of desire of finding bandmates, its just that there doesn't seem to be any. Im in hs, so i was wondering if anybody thought that i'd probably find someone in college or beyond, where there's more people are a better chance. thats all. I know you mean well and you've been helpful, but i don't think you get what im getting at, or "complaining" about.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
CTID41

You're ignoring the general consensus being that playing in a band that you may not like will allow you to meet a lot more musicians than just what go to your school. I play in a band right now that out of everyone in it, I went to school with one of them, everyone else I met from playing with their old bands or through friends of friends. Networking is something you need experience playing music to attain. You can't not put yourself OUT there beyond your school and then complain about the lack of people in the area that want to play what you want to play.
CTID41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
Kid_Thorazine
Registered Sadist

Quote:
So, with a vox tube amp and a big muff, im gonna start chugging out deathcore riffs? While gear doesn't make a musician, it obviouslly helps to extend his strengths and achieve the feeling that are unattainable without it. You know that.

I know many musicians in my area. I did for a period have a drummer id play with, but he is a (drumroll) metalhead, and went off and started a metallica cover band that wont go anywhere. The problem isn't a lack of desire of finding bandmates, its just that there doesn't seem to be any. Im in hs, so i was wondering if anybody thought that i'd probably find someone in college or beyond, where there's more people are a better chance. thats all. I know you mean well and you've been helpful, but i don't think you get what im getting at, or "complaining" about.

With creative EQing and the right stompbox, absolutely, won't be optimal, but you're in highschool, son't worry about it. And yeah I had a similar problem, I ended up just starting a studio project to write my own stuff myself and playing gigs in a nu-metal band to get experience and meet people. Also you could try want ads online, the kind of music you seem to be into isn't exactly unpopular, though I don't know if you live in a small town or something, then you might just be out of luck on starting a band that does what you're into until you get to college.

Last.fm
Kid_Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
Hail
kill both bass players

JOIN A POST-HARDCORE BAND

best of both worlds
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
ckhgator

thanks guys for the advice, especially chronowarp. ive got a better idea on how to approach this now.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:24 AM   #14
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

I hear ya ckhgator.... even if you wanted to get experience in a metal band... the noobs would only divert their eyes from the mirror long enough to say "your gear sucks man!"

Metal noobs. Gah. I was one too...once....

That said... ANY experience is good experience..so if you get the chance to spread your wings in an unexpected direction...do it...it wont last forever anyway... maybe....
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
ckhgator

I've have had experience. I've played many acoustic "shows" for school and such, but I was looking for, you know, others to play with that have somewhat similair tastes. I definentaly want more experience playing and networking, but i dont want to go the metal route, again no offense entended.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
chronowarp

Going the metal route...
Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
ckhgator

playing metal. i dont prefer it imo.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #18
Peaceful Rocker
Banned

craigslist musician classfields.

you're welcome!
Peaceful Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #19
pantallica87

It really depends on how much your willing to sacrafice to be a part of a band that fits you musically. I live in East Texas, where Country Western rules and everything else is considered devil worshiping music and frowned upon. I myself am a metalcore guitar player with 13 years experience. As you can imagine, finding anyone here who can put down an acoustic guitar is damn near impossible. I work in the oilfield and use that generously, but hard earned, paid money to drive to Houston every weekend to shred w/ a metalcore band called Favor the Fallen. Its an expensive sacrafice, but i do it b/c i enjoy the music and satisfies my need to shred in front of people (we play live gigs). So the question is, How much are you willing to sacrafice? The other guys are right about craigslist. Its the reason im now a part of my current band.
pantallica87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: