Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
OpIvy86

Need pick ups advice please

I searched for a pick-up thread but couldn't find one. Sorry if there is and I missed it.

So I am looking to upgrade the stock pick-ups on my Mexican Fender Strat.

The main genre of music I play is reggae and ska rhythms. I'm in a cover band that mainly plays Sublime songs so I am looking for pick-ups to give me a nice clean tone for the reggae rhythms, but also maybe a high output pick-up for the distorted/punk parts.

My budget is quite high since I have been saving up for a while, so money is not exactly a huge issue.

I read that Brad Nowell of Sublime used a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, but he played an Ibanez S series and I didn't think it would fit my Strat with the stock pickguard.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
OpIvy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
ikey_

do you have all single coils?

if so, they make a stacked humber JB version. it will not sound exactly the same as stacks never do, the design is just different, but its as close to the JB tonality as you get in a single coil slot, and it is a true humbucker.

a higher output single coil?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/produc...ut/jb_jr_sjbj1/

any single coil with 2 lines or rail or magnets are actually a stacked hum bucker, or anything that describes the pickup as being stacked.

another way to tell is in the specs, the output will be double or generally higher than a regular single coil.

except for maybe this
http://www.seymourduncan.com/produc...uarter_pound_s/

which is a single, but high output. it gets confusing.

almost all of the high output and about 50% of the medium output single coils from SD are stacked humbuckers. just read carefully.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)

Last edited by ikey_ : 10-02-2012 at 06:42 AM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
OpIvy86

Yes all of my pick ups are single coil. Thanks for the advice. I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to guitar gear so this was very helpful.
OpIvy86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: