Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: ?
I agree 38 24.36%
I disagree 60 38.46%
I don't care 37 23.72%
Check out what my le girlfriend made me *Richard Dawkins is God shirt* I think she's a le keeper 21 13.46%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
ErikLensherr
Banned
 
ErikLensherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Preaching on crowded subway cars: agree disagree or indifferent?

This morning an old man came onto the crowded subway car and started preaching Jesus. Not unusual, but this time this woman asked him to stop saying it isn't right that he's preaching to what's essentially a captive audience. People are going to work, school, etc., they can't move, it's kind of annoying.

Now you also have musicians who come in and play for money, but their sets are usually a few minutes, whereas this old man was jabbering for a solid 15-20. The more I think about it, subway preachers really are a nuisance. The worst I can think of was a few weeks back where this guy was literally bellowing and screaming to repent and it actually disturbed my reading. Really, **** off. It's the equivalent of proselytizing in a crowded elevator, if the elevator ride was 40 minutes long.

So this woman made me see something in a new light.

Your thoughts?
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.
 
captaincrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Indiana
I argue with people like that, and make them look like the fools they are.
__________________
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
I couldn't care less what they are preaching, they're all annoying.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
95% of teens have moved on to hip hop. Put this in your sig if you're part of th 5% who care about REAL music.




Check out my...

YouTube
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
 
jthm_guitarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: West Coast USA
I agree. If someone's gonna jabber on for an extended amount of time then it's fine to ask them to shut up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
when you sense an attack slap the sack

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
Bob_Sacamano
dreamy dancer
 
Bob_Sacamano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: cooper's psyche
I never witnessed anything like that as I'm not cityfolk but it sounds awful.
Bob_Sacamano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
devourke
Banned
 
devourke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
I don't really care what people talk about if they're just talking. If someone's gonna be yelling for 20 straight minutes it might get a tad annoying though.
devourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!
 
Most_Triumphant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I agree because they do have a right, it is pretty annoying. I am a pretty knowledgeable Christian, and often times they preach flawed messages. I correct these mistakes (in front of everyone), and they look like an idiot afterwards. I have never seen the same subway preacher on my train twice. The other regulars love me for it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album

Like The Who? http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/thewhoclub/
Most_Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.
 
captaincrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Indiana
I vote disagree because I think I disagree with it being allowed, not because I disagree with your assessment
__________________
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
devourke
Banned
 
devourke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunk
I vote disagree because I think I disagree with it being allowed, not because I disagree with your assessment

I always thought you were one of them liberal freedom of speech types, crunk.
devourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
cho0onger
Six Foot Twenty
 
cho0onger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Does "I agree" mean I agree with their right to preach, or that I agree that they are a nuisance?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
cho0onger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
darkstar2466
Fly, you fools
 
darkstar2466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: (-∞, ∞)
I'd start with "god is a lie and jesus never existed."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
darkstar2466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
due 07
haaan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
hmm good point. you should just remind him that x was gay married to his bro or smth
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
Deadlock Riff
UG's Dark Gym Leader
 
Deadlock Riff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Long Islander in VA Beach
I answered wrong, I meant to select I agree.

Wait, am I agreeing with TS (which i agree with)
or agreeing with the preachers annoyance? (which i disagreewith?)
__________________
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.

Last edited by Deadlock Riff : 10-02-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Deadlock Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #14
ErikLensherr
Banned
 
ErikLensherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Lol. I agree means I agree that they're annoying.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #15
Telecaster7
Call me Leon
 
Telecaster7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
I don't care if people are just preaching at talking volume, because lots of people talk on the train. but if they're yelling and screaming and targeting people then it's pretty annoying.

However, let me ask you a follow-up question; if someone came onto your train and started loudly preaching for atheism, saying how god (any god) never existed and about how religious people need to realise their stupidity, would you say something, or would you object to someone else saying something?
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #16
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
 
Horsedick.MPEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Buck Hill
I don't care what you belief is, yelling at people for a good 15-20 mins is annoying.
__________________
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.



Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #17
ErikLensherr
Banned
 
ErikLensherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecaster7
I don't care if people are just preaching at talking volume, because lots of people talk on the train. but if they're yelling and screaming and targeting people then it's pretty annoying.

However, let me ask you a follow-up question; if someone came onto your train and started loudly preaching for atheism, saying how god (any god) never existed and about how religious people need to realise their stupidity, would you say something, or would you object to someone else saying something?

I'd find that just as irritating, it's a bad context to preach anything especially in the morning.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #18
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.
 
captaincrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by devourke
I always thought you were one of them liberal freedom of speech types, crunk.

there's more than one way to not allow something. if I'm the only person on the train who doesn't want to hear it, I still won't allow it to be heard (while I'm on the train). The guy should stop if asked by anyone, not just the train authorities
__________________
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #19
troyofyort
2nd place is da 1st loser
 
troyofyort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Its annoying but as long as they aren't yelling, but using calm, talking tones without being a dick/offensive to anyone who am I to stop them. Sure people can ask him to stop on the same principle
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
troyofyort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #20
entity0009
UG's Null.
 
entity0009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Null.
You're meant to captivate your audience, not hold them captive.
entity0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.