Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: ?
I agree 38 24.52%
I disagree 59 38.06%
I don't care 37 23.87%
Check out what my le girlfriend made me *Richard Dawkins is God shirt* I think she's a le keeper 21 13.55%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #61
devourke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
1. Pretend your phone is vibrating in your pocket
2. 'Answer' the phone, and have pretend phone sex with a partner of the same sex

Why pretend? Just call up mom and go crazy.

edit: I miss Jewchords
devourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #62
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Most_Triumphant
I agree because they do have a right, it is pretty annoying. I am a pretty knowledgeable Christian, and often times they preach flawed messages. I correct these mistakes (in front of everyone), and they look like an idiot afterwards. I have never seen the same subway preacher on my train twice. The other regulars love me for it.

Oh yeah. YOU know the truth, of course. What you don't know is that you're no different from them.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #63
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Seriously guys, having people 'preaching' in public places like this is a good thing. Y'see, if they have the right to preach to you in public places, then you in return have the right to reply and ask those 'awkward' questions, which, being in a public place, they then tend to feel obliged to attempt to answer.

It can actualy be a pretty decent form of public entertainment.

I was once walking in town with my daughter, who was only little girl at the time, and there was a guy stood on a folding pulpit that had the name of the local Presbyterian church written on it with two other guys stood either side of him holding similar placards and looking grim. You could tell just by the look of them that these were not the nice loved-up hand-clapping type of religious people.

The guy on the pulpit was pointing at passers by and asking them if they were Christians and anytime anyone said 'no', he shouted a tirade of abuse and threats at them, calling them 'sinners' and telling them that they would burn in hell and suffer for eternity.
He asked me if I was a Christian, I said 'no' and he went into his tirade, scaring the crap out of my daughter, who was very young and impressionable at the time. Well... I couldn't just leave it at that could I?

A couple of 'awkward' questions later, such as asking him why he's going against Matthew 7:1 ("Do not judge, or you too will be judged.") and Matthew 7:12 (“In everything, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.") and he was looking like a complete idiot and a hypocrite in front of the small crowd that had gathered, who then started to make fun of him and generaly take the piss. The feeling of camaraderie was brilliant because that's not something you get a lot of in Burnley and the sight of a crowd made up of people from many different walks of life but united in their stance against this bigot kinda restores your faith in humanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Most_Triumphant
I agree because they do have a right, it is pretty annoying. I am a pretty knowledgeable Christian, and often times they preach flawed messages. I correct these mistakes (in front of everyone), and they look like an idiot afterwards. I have never seen the same subway preacher on my train twice. The other regulars love me for it.
Oh yeah. YOU know the truth, of course. What you don't know is that you're no different from them.

Most _Triumphant is correct here, even as an atheist, I can tell you that these sorts of people often preach a 'flawed' message, such as the example of going against the scriptures of their own religion that I've just given.

It doesn't matter what you believe and it's nothing to do with anyone's claim of 'knowing the truth' either. When someone claims to believe in something, then preaches in a hypocritical manner to that belief, then one can only consider that as preaching a 'flawed' message because they are contradicting the very religion that they are promoting.

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 10-03-2012 at 05:33 AM.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 AM   #64
lt mittens
milfhunter

i just laugh at those sad cunts, i mean most people don't listen anyway
lt mittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #65
donender
Get back to work

It doesn't happen that often in England, but if it did, i would think it is unfair. I get that people want to be evangelists, but if a guy got on a train and started screaming his head off about certain religion, it isn't going to convert any atheists, it will just convince them further that religion is insane. If people wanted to hear someone preach, they would go to Church/Synagogue/Temple/wherever else.

Sometimes, charity workers get on the train, announce loudly what their cause is at the head of the carriage, then start walking through with a bucket, and i get that it's for a good cause, but again, it is kind of taking advantage of the fact that people can't escape, and makes them give money out of awkwardness. Still going to a good cause i guess.

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
donender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #66
TheEternalJew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
Seriously guys, having people 'preaching' in public places like this is a good thing. Y'see, if they have the right to preach to you in public places, then you in return have the right to reply and ask those 'awkward' questions, which, being in a public place, they then tend to feel obliged to attempt to answer.

It can actualy be a pretty decent form of public entertainment.

I was once walking in town with my daughter, who was only little girl at the time, and there was a guy stood on a folding pulpit that had the name of the local Presbyterian church written on it with two other guys stood either side of him holding similar placards and looking grim. You could tell just by the look of them that these were not the nice loved-up hand-clapping type of religious people.

The guy on the pulpit was pointing at passers by and asking them if they were Christians and anytime anyone said 'no', he shouted a tirade of abuse and threats at them, calling them 'sinners' and telling them that they would burn in hell and suffer for eternity.
He asked me if I was a Christian, I said 'no' and he went into his tirade, scaring the crap out of my daughter, who was very young and impressionable at the time. Well... I couldn't just leave it at that could I?

A couple of 'awkward' questions later, such as asking him why he's going against Matthew 7:1 ("Do not judge, or you too will be judged.") and Matthew 7:12 (“In everything, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.") and he was looking like a complete idiot and a hypocrite in front of the small crowd that had gathered, who then started to make fun of him and generaly take the piss. The feeling of camaraderie was brilliant because that's not something you get a lot of in Burnley and the sight of a crowd made up of people from many different walks of life but united in their stance against this bigot kinda restores your faith in humanity.

Most _Triumphant is correct here, even as an atheist, I can tell you that these sorts of people often preach a 'flawed' message, such as the example of going against the scriptures of their own religion that I've just given.

It doesn't matter what you believe and it's nothing to do with anyone's claim of 'knowing the truth' either. When someone claims to believe in something, then preaches in a hypocritical manner to that belief, then one can only consider that as preaching a 'flawed' message because they are contradicting the very religion that they are promoting.

Free speech=yes cool.

But who honestly wants to memorize passages from a book they think is utter nonsense? Should we do this with all religous books? Most people don't have the time or patience to have a lovely debate on why they wont go to a magical place called hell and be tortured for all eternity. I don't think you should be required to read religious books just to say "you're wrong blah blah". From a personal perspective these people annoy the absolute shit out of me and I find them as disgusting as they find me but I don't go out of my way to tell them how bad they are. How much are people supposed to take before they say "look just **** off ok?" Bear in mind for this particular thread, these are probly just people going to work to survive, maybe even feed family, and they have to put up with being told they are the worst people on the planet. Do we EVER draw a line?

I realize knowledge is the key but why should/would the average person have to spend their lives memorizing something they would rather distance themselves from? It's utter insanity if you ask me and pushes people to the brink.
TheEternalJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #67
King Twili
UG's Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
le

Fuck off.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #68
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath

Just like it's true that Harry Potter has a scar over his eye and wears glasses
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #69
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEternalJew
Free speech=yes cool.

But who honestly wants to memorize passages from a book they think is utter nonsense? Should we do this with all religous books? Most people don't have the time or patience to have a lovely debate on why they wont go to a magical place called hell and be tortured for all eternity. I don't think you should be required to read religious books just to say "you're wrong blah blah". From a personal perspective these people annoy the absolute shit out of me and I find them as disgusting as they find me but I don't go out of my way to tell them how bad they are. How much are people supposed to take before they say "look just **** off ok?" Bear in mind for this particular thread, these are probly just people going to work to survive, maybe even feed family, and they have to put up with being told they are the worst people on the planet. Do we EVER draw a line?

I realize knowledge is the key but why should/would the average person have to spend their lives memorizing something they would rather distance themselves from? It's utter insanity if you ask me and pushes people to the brink.

No one ever said it was manditory to debate with these people, you can always just ignore them y'know.

Personaly, religion and the way it develops just happens to interest me, and has done for some time, so I've already put in the study and have built up the knowledge to debate with these people, but I'm not suggesting that everyone should do the same. It's just nice when someone who does know this stuff manages to put the occasional bigoted preacher in their place.

That said, the two passages that I mentioned, Matthew 7:1 and Matthew 7:12, are very useful for arguing against opinionated Christians who feel they have a right to hurl abuse at non-Christians, so just those two passages actualy cover a pretty wide range of Christian arguments between them. For example, you could use the exact same quotes against a Christian who is verbaly against homosexuality and demands that homosexual couples shouldn't have the same rights as hetrosexual couples, or against a Christian who thinks that the west should wage a war upon Islam. Just those two passages can be used to argue against pretty much any of the different forms of Christian bigotry because they basicaly speak against all forms of bigotry.

Islam has a similar line in the Qur'an that can be used in many different instances. 'Allah says: "Let there be no compulsion in religion" ' (Quran 2:256) which basicaly just means that Muslims are not allowed to attempt to force their religion upon others. In other words, it's an argument that can be almost universaly used against pretty much any Islamic extremist's policies, which pretty much all boil down to them attempting to force their religion upon others.

Slacker's Art Website.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #70
TheEternalJew
Banned

Let the school yard bullies win, just ignore them.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #71
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEternalJew
Let the school yard bullies win, just ignore them.

Why should anyone have to let the bullies win? Why should I let some town centre preacher get away with hurling bigoted abuse at me and my daughter? Why shouldn't I demonstrate to my daughter that the guy is actualy just full of shit and that we are not both going to a place where we will burn for ever?

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 10-03-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #72
TheEternalJew
Banned

You take an interest in religion. Most people don't, or atleast, other religious beliefs. In short, refer to my initial post so we can go around in circles, like all religious arguments do.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #73
ElisabithaOak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunk
there's more than one way to not allow something. if I'm the only person on the train who doesn't want to hear it, I still won't allow it to be heard (while I'm on the train). The guy should stop if asked by anyone, not just the train authorities

Are you ****ing serious?

What's next if someone asks you to stop talking loudly about your boyfriend you have to?

.......srsmodeyou'recrazy
ElisabithaOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #74
Ninja#117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
They can come on my train and preach so long as I can go into their church and explain why it's all bollocks.

Dat agreement.

Had a guy come up to me and my girl in walmart on saturday. She is pregnant and he saw us looking at strollers and approached.

I can always pick out the walking pastor types and this guy was no different. Had his book in one hand, a church flyer in the other and apparently jesus in his heart. He asked me if i was part of a church family and if i was going to raise my kid in the proper way as planned by our lord and savior jesus christ

He actually said proper way.......
Ninja#117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #75
Guodlca
Registered Abuser

It would annoy me a lot, but since he's not physically hurting me, I would have to let him continue.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #76
arthur_s

Don't know what to say here. Looks like some new life experience for you
arthur_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #77
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja#117
Dat agreement.

Had a guy come up to me and my girl in walmart on saturday. She is pregnant and he saw us looking at strollers and approached.

I can always pick out the walking pastor types and this guy was no different. Had his book in one hand, a church flyer in the other and apparently jesus in his heart. He asked me if i was part of a church family and if i was going to raise my kid in the proper way as planned by our lord and savior jesus christ

He actually said proper way.......

If he was politely asking you, no reason to be a dick about it, just kindly tell him no.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Soundcloud

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #78
girlgerms007
mostly harmless

it doesn't happen here and
it wouldn't bother me if it did, in fact it's probably a good indicator of a free society

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
girlgerms007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #79
Ninja#117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick.MPEG
If he was politely asking you, no reason to be a dick about it, just kindly tell him no.

I did. He continued on.

I love how people act as though these types arent persistent. He actually asked me if i believed i was doing what was best for my child (who isnt born yet BTW). Stated that everyone needs the blessings of the father and holy spirit and that me not believing doesnt make hell any less real.

He said he would pray for my eventual finding of the lord (not bad and a worthy endeavor for religious people) and that he hoped i would someday change my doubts for the sake of my son. That last part really irked me.

Even my girl began to take offense and she said afterwards she was suprised i didnt argue more. Dude was laying it on and the most i said was "No thank you, im not religious."
Ninja#117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #80
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
If this guy was reading passages from "The God Delusion" you guys would be sucking his junk for hours.

Get over yrselves.

That's the point I was trying to make.
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: