Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
EVHtremontiSRV

I really need some advice..

So heres my dilemma, I am 20 yrs old, have never even been in a band, and I've never played a show. Im starting to have doubts that it is too late for me to chase a dream to play music. I have a lot of people telling me its not realistic and its just a fantasy that will fade away eventually. So needless to say my confidence level is pretty low but I still truly believe that music is my true calling. So my question is, having never even played a show of any kind and not even having any leads to a potential band, am I too late? I see all these people who are 14, 15, and 16 and have already played more shows and have more success than I could even fathom. Whats the deal? Should I give up or just keep chasing?
EVHtremontiSRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
entity0009
UG's Null.

It's not like bands will ask to see a resume or something before you join them, it's never too late. For a while I played in a band with a bunch of 40-50 year olds and they were gigging regularly and had an album released
entity0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
devourke
Banned

Shucks grandpa, you might as well give up now and retire to golden acres rest home. I didn't even know people as old as you could use computers.
devourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
ErikLensherr
blackflag, pls

That's not too late. If it was I'd tell you because I enjoy knocking people's dreams on the internet but that's not too late at all. Why haven't you joined a band though if it's your dream?
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
entity0009
UG's Null.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devourke
Shucks grandpa, you might as well give up now and retire to golden acres rest home. I didn't even know people as old as you could use computers.

I'm 21 and I have to type all my posts out on a typewriter. Then my grandson types them up on the computer.
entity0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVHtremontiSRV
So heres my dilemma, I am 20 yrs old, have never even been in a band, and I've never played a show. Im starting to have doubts that it is too late for me to chase a dream to play music. I have a lot of people telling me its not realistic and its just a fantasy that will fade away eventually. So needless to say my confidence level is pretty low but I still truly believe that music is my true calling. So my question is, having never even played a show of any kind and not even having any leads to a potential band, am I too late? I see all these people who are 14, 15, and 16 and have already played more shows and have more success than I could even fathom. Whats the deal? Should I give up or just keep chasing?

you're stressing too much. if you don't stop worrying about it you won't enjoy it even if it works out. But to answer your question no one cares or even needs to know how old you are. Those young kids are gimmicks, mostly. "Oh look, a child with an instrument!"
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
RRRone

Go play music at some open mics. Its never too late. Yeah sure it might be unrealistic if you might dream of being a big "rockstar" or something, but playing music is realistic and really all you need for it is something good to play and some people who are willing to listen to it. Pretty realistic if you ask me. It could be a family gathering or small get together with friends.

If you can't find a band, go solo like so many other people out there. Make your music and share it on the Internet. There will eventually be many people who would be interested in listening to you if you put your heart into it.
RRRone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
Jon777
Assbender

It's never too late. Just make an active effort to find other musicians to play with. Something will happen eventually.

~
Jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
whywefight
would you kindly

Don't give up. Definitely, keep trying to make music. The world will thank you eventually.

But honestly, remember that if you actually are doing this, put your full effort into it. Make sure to practice guit as much as possible, right songs, play to a metronome, and search for bands to play in actively. It doesn't need to feel like a job, but it is one.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

if you chase it like you mean it, it's never too late.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
EVHtremontiSRV

thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. This is one reason I love this site. musicians look out for their own kind. (most of them lol). But anyways another aspect is im having problems putting together a band. I almost had something together over the summer but it fizzled out becuz the other guys werent as serious about it as I was and im not really friends with many other people that are into the same music I am, let alone PLAYING in a band with the same type of music. any tips to finding people that want to make music? I go to NKU so ive thought about taking some music classes and hoping to meet some people that way
Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #12
whywefight
would you kindly

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVHtremontiSRV
thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. This is one reason I love this site. musicians look out for their own kind. (most of them lol). But anyways another aspect is im having problems putting together a band. I almost had something together over the summer but it fizzled out becuz the other guys werent as serious about it as I was and im not really friends with many other people that are into the same music I am, let alone PLAYING in a band with the same type of music. any tips to finding people that want to make music? I go to NKU so ive thought about taking some music classes and hoping to meet some people that way

Honestly, if I knew, I'd be in a much more focused band right now. For some reason, there's no one to play with 6,000 students living on campus
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #13
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

It's not that you're too late. It's that you don't have the potential. You said so yourself.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
EVHtremontiSRV

Thanks to those that are actually trying to help rather than those just being assbags
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
whoomit

Quote:
Originally Posted by devourke

Quote:
Originally Posted by entity0009
I'm 21 and I have to type all my posts out on a typewriter. Then my grandson types them up on the computer.

Shit, I'm 21 now too. It's probably too late to have a kid
Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
PaulyVengeance
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit

Well, being scottish, once you're past the 13-14 year old point, it's too late.

I'm so sorry.
PaulyVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
Quote:

No..... you can always destroy your life in your 30's.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #18
whoomit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyVengeance
Well, being scottish, once you're past the 13-14 year old point, it's too late.

I'm so sorry.

Oi! We may have a high rate of teenage pregnancy, but don't you dare suggest that we don't know how to perform abortions effectively
Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #19
girlgerms007
mostly harmless

get a Plan B

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
girlgerms007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
PaulyVengeance
User

Quote:
Oi! We may have a high rate of teenage pregnancy, but don't you dare suggest that we don't know how to perform abortions effectively

You know I'm only messing with you.

Look, I drew you a picture to show how sorry I am.

PaulyVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: