Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-03-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
stefan1988

anybody had an Internship before?

Tomorrow is Career Showcase at my university.

I'm just wondering if im wasting my time because i haven't been involved at all with groups or organizations at my university.I find it very tough to be involved in groups and still do well in engineering classes.

All my class so far have just been theory wise and haven't taken any labs(hands on)
im a third year (junior) mechanical engineer

has anybody done an internship before?
before they got the internship did you have some kind of volunteering,activities,honors?

or have you been able to get an internship without any of those?

any input is appreciated
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
stefan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
iro-bot31
Jazz Hands

Are you at UF? Because mine's tomorrow as well.

I'm a fourth year electrical engineer and I've had two internships thus far, one with Siemens and one with Nextera Energy. Career showcase didn't help me with either one of them, but it was good practice for interviews and such. Exploit any connections you have through family friends or such, and apply to every position online that you can.
iro-bot31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
Kensai
49ers

Well you'd better do some work experience instead of just doing well in classes. People hiring are going to look at that. Field experience is usually what's lacking on a resume.

I don't know if you can call it an internship or not but I've been in a project for over a year now that involves lab work, excavations and other stuff. My field is really competetive and that sort of project involvement really puts me ahead of the pack.
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
jakesmellspoo
BrBa Survivor's Club

i interned at the same place twice over two summers.

granted, it was a family friend who was VP of the company, but i learned how much i'd rather not sit at a desk all day and how much i hate having to answer phone calls.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
stefan1988

Quote:
Are you at UF? Because mine's tomorrow as well.

I'm a fourth year electrical engineer and I've had two internships thus far, one with Siemens and one with Nextera Energy. Career showcase didn't help me with either one of them, but it was good practice for interviews and such. Exploit any connections you have through family friends or such, and apply to every position online that you can.

yep UF.

so how did you get the internships?
am i better off going to info sessions and kissing ass?
evening with the industry?
before career showcase event that was hosted by NSBE?
should i just submit my resume on their website?

Quote:
Well you'd better do some work experience instead of just doing well in classes. People hiring are going to look at that. Field experience is usually what's lacking on a resume.

I know work experience is very valuable i will try to do research over the summer
but is just mad insane classes here i study like i want an A and i end up with B's And C's
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
stefan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
iro-bot31
Jazz Hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan1988
yep UF.

so how did you get the internships?
am i better off going to info sessions and kissing ass?
evening with the industry?
before career showcase event that was hosted by NSBE?
should i just submit my resume on their website?

I know work experience is very valuable i will try to do research over the summer
but is just mad insane classes here i study like i want an A and i end up with B's And C's

First internship I got because a friend of the family got me an interview, second one I got by applying to as many positions as possible online and interviewing with whoever called me back (I actually had two offers that time and got to choose where I wanted to go).

Do whatever you can to get in with the recruiters. Go to career showcase and do your research on the companies you're interested in beforehand. Attend some info sessions to get more one-on-one time with recruiters. Apply online to everything you can. And, like I said, if you have any connections to a company through friends or family, take advantage of them.
iro-bot31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #7
ExDementia
UG Freak

I'm interning as an RF/Electrical engineer for a major cell phone company. I heard that they were hiring interns, so I went to the site and applied. Then I went in for three interviews and that was it.

I really lucked out though. Finding a well paying, open ended, full time hour + overtime internship is rare, but more common in this field than any other.

If you have any detailed questions about it, you can pm me and I'll be more than happy to answer your questions. I've learned a lot about how different companies handle their interns since I took this job.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #8
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

i wasn't very good at selling myself at career fairs, but i had a friend who had gotten an internship and he recommended me for an internship there as well. recommendations do go a long way.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #9
DoubleBassCrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by iro-bot31
if you have any connections to a company through friends or family, take advantage of them.

Yep, networking. These days it's really all about who you know.

I would just apply for everything within your degree scope sans internships, internships from my experience aren't the way to go... you could potentially intern somewhere for six months with them telling you every single day of the week that they're very impressed with you, that they're looking forward to bringing you on, but then by the end of the six months when the internship is about up & they're going to "bring you on", they'll give you the axe... "thanks for your help, you were great, good luck", blah blah... then you're back at square one & hopefully you weren't working six months for free...

I'd try to avoid the internship arena altogether, a lot of jobs say you have to have a certain amount of experience to get the job, but I've gotten jobs without the five or ten year experience before & things worked out. Just apply to them regardless of experience, if you went to school for it & know your shit, you'll deliver on the job. Employers are pretty shady these days, hence why they bring on temp workers so they don't have to give benefits & they can cut you loose & bring in new fresh meat every three months.

Also; They'll try to lowball you in interviews, let them know you have bills to pay & food to put on the table, too. Don't sell yourself short.
DoubleBassCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
captainsnazz
#coldcum #abrasam

I'm currently on a placement, which is basically an internship but functions as my 3rd year at uni (I have to do my 4th after it).
I'd never even had a job before, never mind volunteering or groups or any effort stuff like that. I just got it because a professor at my uni knows somebody that works here. Somebody from my uni goes to Paris every year for this placement and I got it

I don't even know if your internships are as organised as ours, but knowing people tends to help. Ask around your uni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
If they didn't want to be objectified they shouldn't have been little sluts.

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
ron666

Yeah, I had an internship about ten years ago and it didn't lead to a job afterwards. So my advice is to not get your expectations too high. Sometimes the internship ends and they simply say "thank you and see you later."

Not all internships lead to steady jobs.

ron666
ron666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
Pagan_Poetry
The Twilight Stoned

I'm doing an internship right now. I tried to chose wisely with where I applied. I'm interning at a film festival, and if you work at one festival and do well, that could lead to many. It's not so much the fact that you're interning that will give you a future, it's more or less still about where said internship is. Who knows, my idea may fall flat as well.
Originally Posted by SanjePaCapota
pagan poetry is a hermaphrodite

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVER9000VIDEOS

HhOLLY SUCKC **** LMFAOO
Pagan_Poetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
RPGoof
Jobless Hippie Scum

My University program is a full-on co-op/school experience. I go to school for 3 months (in my case, July-Sept, Jan-March) then I work at my co-op job that I've had since I was a Freshman for 3 months (Oct-Dec, April-May, 40 hours a week, very well paid for my age) and I make a good amount of money compared to most college students, as well as getting the work experience related to my major. Going to this weird University is the greatest idea I've ever had, and anyone else that chooses to get an internship is making a great idea
RPGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
kurtlives91
Let The Pretend Take Over

Do it!
Great experience and you learn a ton.

I am on a 16 month internship current at a large hydro company. I am finished my third year of electrical engineering back in May. Still got one more year to go. That said I love working compared to school, way easier and I am getting paid a ton of money.
To the deep I turn

My DIY Site: Amps, Pedals and More...
kurtlives91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

I have to do an internship this upcoming spring and summer. First of three straight years.

Don't know where yet though. :/
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
Dwight.Schrute
Volunteer Sheriff Deputy

Location: Do you want me to send you my address? Come fight me..
I was once on a pirateship.

Argh and polly crackers.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Dwight.Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
ron666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight.Schrute
I was once on a pirateship.

Argh and polly crackers.

Awesome, how much pillaging do you do?

Hold it, your post does not match the topic of the thread.

ron666
ron666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #18
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

In Britain, internships are paid. In America, apparently they aren't.

Lol capitalism.
Well then I am the gayest pedophile.
magnus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #19
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus
In Britain, internships are paid. In America, apparently they aren't.

Lol capitalism.

My internship will be paid.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: