Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #61
ErikLensherr
Bram Sockmann

They should invest in the gyro industry. There's real potential for growth there.
When yer ready to take the leap with yer mouth-probe and direct it under her robe, ya ALWAYS gotta give the round brown mound a bit of them sweet tongue pounds cause I tell ya, her moans will be the only sound BOO-YA
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #62
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur all $h1t
What would you have them do? Do you have a better idea of shovel ready projects that will attract huge private sector investment to match government investment and employ people with skills in a sector that is currently moribund? Or would you prefer that those people stay on welfare, slowly lose their skills and employability and cost the state 30 million anyway in welfare payments and eventual retraining?

People seem to think that if your country is in debt you should take money and... erm...

Wait, what the hell do people think they should be doing with the money? Creating jobs and drawing in business is the only possible option, and one of the most followed sports across the planet is surely one of the greatest ways to do that?

People baffles me.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #63
MinterMan22
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OPA!!!

Ena lepto, poso kostizi afto?

gamoti poutana sou!

Fuck Dallas
MinterMan22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #64
MinterMan22
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by entity0009
Who the hell is making all these decisions for Greece?

"Mr. Thadaponoukosoropodos, I believe that a investment in this racetrack will do much to recover our country from the economic crisis we are currently experiencing."
"Why, Mr. Porousunpakosoumonous, I believe I am inclined to believe you! Good show!"

those are some piss-poor attempts at making fun of greek names.. i mean, not even one L! demon wolf on the other hand

Fuck Dallas
MinterMan22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #65
Tastytaco

Lol at Keynesian spending in racetracks of all things.
Tastytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #66
Ur all $h1t
Has an erection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastytaco
Lol at Keynesian spending in racetracks of all things.

Better than Keynesian spending on the military.

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Ur all $h1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #67
Tastytaco

Quote:
Better than Keynesian spending on the military.

What Greek military?

Just joking
Old 10-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #68
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!

Quote:
What Greek military?

Just joking

Spending on the Greek military would boost jobs in the 'making shoes with pom-poms on' industry, which employs at least 3 people worldwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #69
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
They should invest in the gyro industry. There's real potential for growth there.

Truest statement in this thread.
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #70
IRISH_PUNK13
Whoomit's campaign dude

Quote:
What would you have them do? Do you have a better idea of shovel ready projects that will attract huge private sector investment to match government investment and employ people with skills in a sector that is currently moribund? Or would you prefer that those people stay on welfare, slowly lose their skills and employability and cost the state 30 million anyway in welfare payments and eventual retraining?

I would rather see them doing something to actually attempt to rebuild the economy rather than invest it into a sports stadium. The problem I see with the racing track idea is that while it will put people back to work (construction jobs, vendors, etc.), it also relies a lot on people being able to spend money (gambling, buying merchandise, etc.). I just don't see something like this working out.

As far as what I would have them do, I dunno. My suggestion would be to use the money as a stimulus thing to help out local businesses in need, and to train people to be able to get into other necessary jobs. Of course that's probably not the best idea, but I can see it being a bit better than the race track (for the reasons that I've mentioned above).
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
IRISH_PUNK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #71
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
There's too many good circuits in Europe already for new ones to make their way into the calendar. Valencia is only 5 years old and its already going to be forced to alternate every year with Catalunya starting in 2013.

Guitar Build Fund: $I've lost count / ~$925.00

show
Seref is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #72
Ur all $h1t
Has an erection

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISH_PUNK13
I would rather see them doing something to actually attempt to rebuild the economy rather than invest it into a sports stadium. The problem I see with the racing track idea is that while it will put people back to work (construction jobs, vendors, etc.), it also relies a lot on people being able to spend money (gambling, buying merchandise, etc.). I just don't see something like this working out..

The construction jobs don't require anyone to spend anything.
I would rather see other projects too, but other projects won't attract 2 private sector euros for every public sector one spent.

Quote:
As far as what I would have them do, I dunno. My suggestion would be to use the money as a stimulus thing to help out local businesses in need, and to train people to be able to get into other necessary jobs. Of course that's probably not the best idea, but I can see it being a bit better than the race track (for the reasons that I've mentioned above).

Except this way they get 100 million euros worth of construction for a 30 million euro investment. Obvious win. Training will not attract that kind of private sector contribution.

-George Washington
Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #73
Tastytaco

Quote:
Except this way they get 100 million euros worth of construction for a 30 million euro investment. Obvious win. Training will not attract that kind of private sector contribution.

Is it an obvious win? Why is there a shortfall in investment? Maybe other investors do not see this as a productive project (no substantial return on their investment). Maybe this is $30 M of tax payers' money that will end up creating unproductive jobs and will go bankrupt.
Point is, only time will tell and I am really not so sure that this is a good investment with tax payers' money.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #74
IRISH_PUNK13
Whoomit's campaign dude

Quote:
The construction jobs don't require anyone to spend anything.
I would rather see other projects too, but other projects won't attract 2 private sector euros for every public sector one spent.

I know that. If I somehow implied that it does then it was just poor wording on my part. But wouldn't that still not be very good for the people of Greece since they aren't being put back to work (except for the jobs that I've mentioned, and others that would go along with those)?

Yeah, 100 million on construction for something that doesn't seem like it will be very helpful since there will still be a **** ton of people out of work. Also, wouldn't training people for various fields be better? The reason I ask is that I recall reading that Greece (may have been Spain, but I may not be remembering correctly) has an issue with most of their working class being part of the older generation.
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
IRISH_PUNK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #75
Ur all $h1t
Has an erection

^
Of course there will still be a load of people out of work, this isn't supposed to be a miracle cure, nothing will be.
Greece's problem is 55% youth unemployment, that's a burning problem, literally; those kids throw molotovs.

Quote:
Is it an obvious win? Why is there a shortfall in investment? Maybe other investors do not see this as a productive project (no substantial return on their investment). Maybe this is $30 M of tax payers' money that will end up creating unproductive jobs and will go bankrupt.
Point is, only time will tell and I am really not so sure that this is a good investment with tax payers' money.

The benefit from the construction alone should easily cover the government's investment.

-George Washington

Last edited by Ur all $h1t : 10-03-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #76
Saint78
julian wells

That's a brilliant idea actually. Adds revenue, jobs, brings in tourists, etc.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #77
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint78

It's not guaranteed to do any of those things, once built, though. Europe is hoaching with F1 GP quality tracks, and there are only so many races in the season.
I mean, there are worse things to spend the money on, but there's no reason to assume there's suddenly going to be an annual Greek GP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #78
Tastytaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint78

I believe that this is a fallacy. Revenue isn't added, it is redistributed, from tax payers to the people involved in the project, and no doubt bureaucrats get a small piece of that too.
Yes, in the short term the stimulus will add jobs. But are they productive jobs? Do those jobs create goods and services that people want? Seeing as there was a shortfall in investment, is it wise to invest in a project that professional investors did not see as productive (profitable)?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #79
p_c
UG's Republiekan

Its essentially putting 30 million euro into a slot machine. Theres zero guarantee for a start that they will even get a Formula One race.

The going rate to host one is roughly $50 million at moment. What happens if the private firm cant generate that cash?

Or the event doesnt make enough money to cover the costs? And the circuit goes bankrupt etc?

Its a misguided attempt by the Greek State to go "look we are making jobs!!!".
Old 10-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #80
Extra Ordinary
Meh

This is the best idea I've heard come out of this country for many years.
Extra Ordinary is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: