Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
whywefight
I need loooooooo-

Vibrato on high E

Does any one have any tips on how to get nice sounding vibrato on the high e string?

I've developed a decent vibrato on the other five strings, but every time I've tried vibrato on the top string I kind of either slip off the fret or it just doesn't sound good. I have to either put barely any vibrato in it or I just kind of half ass it with a tremolo (which works sporadicly).

But heres the thing: high notes without vibrato sound rather boring. For example, in the solo for Hey You (easiest solo in the world), I always am totally depressed by how much Gilmour's vibrato destroys mine at the very end of the solo.

TLDR: Read the first sentence.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
Geldin

I can never get vertical, or rock-style, vibrato to work on the high e string. I personally like horizontal, or classical, style vibrato. For higher notes, I tend to prefer a shorter, faster vibrato anyhow, though I can get a good quarter step or more in either direction that way.

David Gilmour's vibrato is otherworldly, so don't feel bad if you can't reach his degree of control. It's like moping that you can only play 15 notes per second when Michael Angelo Batio can hit 25. If you can get even remotely close, you're not doing half bad.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
whywefight
I need loooooooo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
I can never get vertical, or rock-style, vibrato to work on the high e string. I personally like horizontal, or classical, style vibrato. For higher notes, I tend to prefer a shorter, faster vibrato anyhow, though I can get a good quarter step or more in either direction that way.

David Gilmour's vibrato is otherworldly, so don't feel bad if you can't reach his degree of control. It's like moping that you can only play 15 notes per second when Michael Angelo Batio can hit 25. If you can get even remotely close, you're not doing half bad.

Thanks, very interesting. I'll have to look into horizontal vibrato.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Viban
UG's resident bum

I can do a really tight/fast vibrato if I pull down, sounds decent though. It's alot easier to go up though. Sometimes I'll just use classical vibrato too, its alot easier.

Last edited by Viban : 10-04-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
hammettrocks

Side to side vibrato for the e and b strings. I save the slightly more aggressive sounding verticle vibrato for the thicker strings. I use my whammy bar a lot as well.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #6
Facecut
Vorsitzender

Vertical Vibrato all the way, the horizontal vibrato an electric just disappears, but you do know that you have to bend upwards on the b and e string which makes it more difficult? It can be hard with your index because it sits too near to your center of rotation, its knuckle. You can try to move the whole hand down a bit so your index is stretched and you have an effective arm of e lever.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whywefight
Does any one have any tips on how to get nice sounding vibrato on the high e string?

I've developed a decent vibrato on the other five strings, but every time I've tried vibrato on the top string I kind of either slip off the fret or it just doesn't sound good. I have to either put barely any vibrato in it or I just kind of half ass it with a tremolo (which works sporadicly).

But heres the thing: high notes without vibrato sound rather boring. For example, in the solo for Hey You (easiest solo in the world), I always am totally depressed by how much Gilmour's vibrato destroys mine at the very end of the solo.

TLDR: Read the first sentence.

When you do vibrato on other strings, it's default to pull the string down and let it come back to it's original position.

So for the top e string, just bend the string up instead and release. common sense, really. Of course it's gonna come off the neck, there's no bloody room!

Unless you're intending to do something like at 1:16

Anyway, it's just a series of mini bends.

Make sure the movement comes from the wrist.

You can also try Steve Vai's circular vibrato style.

Last edited by mdc : 10-04-2012 at 05:58 AM.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

An easy solution is to bend up to your target tone and then do the vibrato. A lot of Dave Gilmours vibrato sound is due to the fact he's got great control on bent notes, not just fretted ones. Bend and vibrato will always sound more in tune than straight rock vibrato, as you can go above and below the note instead of just above it.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
whywefight
I need loooooooo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
When you do vibrato on other strings, it's default to pull the string down and let it come back to it's original position.

So for the top e string, just bend the string up instead and release. common sense, really. Of course it's gonna come off the neck, there's no bloody room!

Yeah thats just kind of one of those things I never really tried to fix in my playing and I'm just now noticing sounds rough. I'll definitely try out all the different techniques mentioned.

Rate This Thread: