Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
FenrirFangs

Trying to get this tone..

Hey everyone!

This is my first post here, so I figured I'd open it with a question. Well I have been tone searching for a while now, as I'm sure we all are. I finally found the tone, or at least the base for the tone I'm after, but as I've recently discovered, I am not a very good tweaker. I've been trying to replicate tones like the ones I posted below with my Jet City JCA100, but haven't gotten quite there yet. I'm running in with just an MXR 10-Band EQ. I've tried a few boosts on it, but it just gets a more raw tone running straight in.

Do you think a boost or an OD would benefit me, or do you think I need to just take more time and find it? I've been thinking about picking up a Jekyll & Hyde to run in, as I think that might get me there, but I don't wanna drop $100 on something I don't need. I have a Dano Cool Cat Drive, which is a pretty spot on OCD clone, and that hasn't gotten me where I need to be. I'm thinking maybe it's not as spot on as I had previously thought, and that maybe I should try one.

I know most of you are going to say "Forget the Jet City and get a Marshall or Laney". I really, really love the Jet City for all the tones I need, and I'd eventually like to try picking up a Jet City endorsement with my band. I just need a bit of help finding this one.

I run the Jet City through either a Mesa 2x12 with V30s or a JCM900 cab with stock G12T-75s. I use either a Jackson RR24 with EMGS, or an 86 Aria ZZ with stock pickups.

These are the tones I'm looking to get:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2fE...feature=related

Though they're different, they all have this certain "thing" about them that I can't put a finger on. Like I said, I'm not a tweaker, and am not good at listening to a song and saying "this tone has a lot of treble" or whatever. I'm more of a plug in, set everything at noon, and turn the knobs until it sounds good to me. School me my friends!

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by FenrirFangs : 10-02-2012 at 02:20 PM.
FenrirFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

can you combine the two cabs? v30 and g12t75 generally sound pretty good together. EDIT: actually you don't even need to "combine" them (when i said combine, i meant link the two with a cable). the jet city has two speaker outs anyway, so if the cabs are the same impedance, you can run them together. Just halve the impedance (if the two cabs are 8 ohm, plug into the two 4 ohm jack sockets, if the two cabs are 16 ohm, plug into the two 8 ohm jack sockets).

best speakers i've tried with my 50 watt jet city head are the eminence v12s, though- they really smooth things out nicely, but it still sounds nice and (fairly) british. that being said- both of those tones were more marshally, i'd have said. While i prefer the v12s with my jet city, if i were trying to get as marshally as possible, i might stick to celestions (g12t75 maybe for the second one).

tubescreamer or similar (clone or based on it) might be the thing with the jca. again, to smooth it out a bit. the consensus seems to be that the ocd works better as a standalone od than a boost, and, while i'm not actually sure if i've ever actually tried to run mine as a boost (i have a joyo ocd clone), i'd tend to agree.

boss sd1 might be better for those type of tones, though.

EDIT: welcome, by the way.

and those youtube clips were awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 10-02-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
FenrirFangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
can you combine the two cabs? v30 and g12t75 generally sound pretty good together. EDIT: actually you don't even need to "combine" them (when i said combine, i meant link the two with a cable). the jet city has two speaker outs anyway, so if the cabs are the same impedance, you can run them together. Just halve the impedance (if the two cabs are 8 ohm, plug into the two 4 ohm jack sockets, if the two cabs are 16 ohm, plug into the two 8 ohm jack sockets).

best speakers i've tried with my 50 watt jet city head are the eminence v12s, though- they really smooth things out nicely, but it still sounds nice and (fairly) british. that being said- both of those tones were more marshally, i'd have said. While i prefer the v12s with my jet city, if i were trying to get as marshally as possible, i might stick to celestions (g12t75 maybe for the second one).

tubescreamer or similar (clone or based on it) might be the thing with the jca. again, to smooth it out a bit. the consensus seems to be that the ocd works better as a standalone od than a boost, and, while i'm not actually sure if i've ever actually tried to run mine as a boost (i have a joyo ocd clone), i'd tend to agree.

boss sd1 might be better for those type of tones, though.

EDIT: welcome, by the way.

and those youtube clips were awesome

Thanks a lot for the insight. For larger shows and band practice, I do run both cabs. Sounds pretty huge. I have a tubecreamer, and it honestly doesn't do a whole lot for the Jet City. I also have a DS-1, and while it does give a more saturated sound, it takes a lot away from the tone I get straight in.

Maybe some EQ tips would be better?

Thanks though!

Last edited by FenrirFangs : 10-02-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

not sure i can help too much with the eq- i only picked mine up recently, plus i only play at home, so you probably know more than i do I'm still at the "try everything at 12 o'clock and then tweak slightly from there" stage of eq-ing the thing

yeah it's debatable if you really need to use a boost with it, to be honest, and if it actually is of any benefit. mine has tons of gain. I just use a boost because i'm used to it (i generally run a danelectro cool cat transparent od, which is a timmy clone, or a joyo tubescreamer clone), plus it means i can run the gain a little lower which makes it easier to clean the thing up with the guitar's volume control.

I would say i always thought it sounded "good" rather than "great" with the celestions- the v12s were sort of the missing piece in the puzzle. But for the tones you want, the v12s might actually do more harm than good. I like the v12s because, as i said, they really smooth the amp out (and it can be too bright and piercing if you're not careful). But for those hot-rod marshall tones, you probably want to be on the brighter and edgier side of things.

Quote:

Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
FenrirFangs

Quote:
not sure i can help too much with the eq- i only picked mine up recently, plus i only play at home, so you probably know more than i do I'm still at the "try everything at 12 o'clock and then tweak slightly from there" stage of eq-ing the thing

yeah it's debatable if you really need to use a boost with it, to be honest, and if it actually is of any benefit. mine has tons of gain. I just use a boost because i'm used to it (i generally run a danelectro cool cat transparent od, which is a timmy clone, or a joyo tubescreamer clone), plus it means i can run the gain a little lower which makes it easier to clean the thing up with the guitar's volume control.

I would say i always thought it sounded "good" rather than "great" with the celestions- the v12s were sort of the missing piece in the puzzle. But for the tones you want, the v12s might actually do more harm than good. I like the v12s because, as i said, they really smooth the amp out (and it can be too bright and piercing if you're not careful). But for those hot-rod marshall tones, you probably want to be on the brighter and edgier side of things.

I've tried a few different speakers with mine, and my absolute favorite is the V30s. Most definitely. As you said though, I like brighter, harsher tones for most of the songs I play.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah, if that's the case, that makes sense.

also i've heard (might be BS) that mesa v30s are made in england and might be very slightly different from the chinese ones- maybe slightly darker etc. So (if true) that might help, too.

Quote:

Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
FenrirFangs

Quote:

also i've heard (might be BS) that mesa v30s are made in england and might be very slightly different from the chinese ones- maybe slightly darker etc. So (if true) that might help, too.

I'm not sure if the V30s I use sound darker because of the Mesa I have or because it's just the speakers. I've never tried other V30s though, so I can't really compare.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah it's really hard to eliminate all the variables, a lot of the time.

Quote:

Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
FenrirFangs

Since the DS-1 has that saturation that I want, but is a bit lacking in tone, anyone think modding it would get me where I wanna be? Perhaps Keeley?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:

It's legit. Several manufacturers, including Mesa and Marshall, have V30s made in England. The Marshall's are built to the original V30 spec, the Mesas are a bit darker with less high mid peak, the Chinese ones are somewhat in between and there are a few other versions as well. There's a post from the US Celestion distributor over on TGP explaining it somewhere.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ thanks. yeah i think i saw a post about it on tgp recently

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenrirFangs
Since the DS-1 has that saturation that I want, but is a bit lacking in tone, anyone think modding it would get me where I wanna be? Perhaps Keeley?

i'm not sure- i've never really tried any of the modded ones. An od might be a better bet- while you can obviously use a ds1 as a boost (assuming that's how you're using it), normally an od seems to work better. obviously personal preference plays a part, too, some big name players use a distortion as a boost, so it's not cut and dried.

Quote:

Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

A modded DS-1 might get you there with the JCA, make sure you crank the gain on the JCA and use the master for your volume control.

Also rather than shelling out loads on a keeley mod, the monte allum "DS-1 Roxx Tri-Gain Plus Mod" is quite good too if you're alright with a soldering iron and can read instructions (http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html#bossds1 scroll up one form there)
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
FenrirFangs

I'd be using it as a boost rather than a standalone distortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABarrie
A modded DS-1 might get you there with the JCA, make sure you crank the gain on the JCA and use the master for your volume control.

Also rather than shelling out loads on a keeley mod, the monte allum "DS-1 Roxx Tri-Gain Plus Mod" is quite good too if you're alright with a soldering iron and can read instructions (http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html#bossds1 scroll up one form there)

You really think I need that much gain? I rarely put it past 6, even for heavier stuff. I've been thinking about doing a mod myself, but I don't know that much about doing them. I guess I could give it a show.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #14
RadioMuse

These are pretty chunky tones, but they're also very nasal and brittle. I think a treble booster might be key. I've never used a Jet City amp though, so it's hard for me to say on that department. Try tweeking the EQ to favor the upper mids/lower treble range (the really high treble controls end up being more like "presence" and affect 'clarity' rather than 'tone').

DO NOT scoop the mids. This isn't a mid-scooped tone. And bring in just enough of the low-end to give it enough impact to cut through the mix... no "thump"...
RadioMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
FenrirFangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMuse
These are pretty chunky tones, but they're also very nasal and brittle. I think a treble booster might be key. I've never used a Jet City amp though, so it's hard for me to say on that department. Try tweeking the EQ to favor the upper mids/lower treble range (the really high treble controls end up being more like "presence" and affect 'clarity' rather than 'tone').

DO NOT scoop the mids. This isn't a mid-scooped tone. And bring in just enough of the low-end to give it enough impact to cut through the mix... no "thump"...

Definitely some good calls. I think I can probably get there with just my MXR EQ.

Rate This Thread: