Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Decreasing noise

I like the general sound I'm getting out of my setup, and I really like the feel, but I'm getting more noise than I would like. Any ways I could fix this?

My setup is:
Fender Starcaster (yes, the cheap ass one)
straight into
Mesa Stiletto Ace Combo

I have a recording that I just put on my profile, I don't know any way to directly put it into this thread, so if you just wanna go over there.... its my only recording.

I thought about putting this into the recording section, but the problem exists in real life, and therefore it is a gear issue that must be fixed in real life! I am recording with a Beta57 and a Scarlett 2i2, and I don't think those contribute to my noise problem. No reverb or effects on the track either.

I am open to pedals, changing pickups, changing pots, anything like that. I would change the guitar, but I've honestly never played one that seemed better to me. I also do not have a power conditioner, but am willing to get one if it will make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
seljer
UG Resident

Humbuckers

Or if you don't want the extreme change in tone, some kind of single coils (stacked, shielded, hot rails...you have many options)
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Mine is an HSS. The noise isn't terrible, it just gets messy sometimes.

And its not like a buzz, but if I'm playing chords, and picking away, theres like no note definition. Which I suppose comes with the high gain territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Last edited by Danjo's Guitar : 10-03-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

i don't hear any 'noise' in that clip. i would need to hear what you are trying to get rid of.

some people like to use noise gates to eliminate noise when not playing, i prefer not to as it can be unnatural at times but many guitarists achieve favorable results using something like an ISP decimator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo's Guitar
Mine is an HSS. The noise isn't terrible, it just gets messy sometimes.

And its not like a buzz, but if I'm playing chords, and picking away, theres like no note definition. Which I suppose comes with the high gain territory.

more gain adds more harmonic complexity, that will kill the definition of complex chords. try to keep things simple when playing with more gain.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 10-03-2012 at 02:26 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Have you shielded your guitar?
forsaknazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Griffin Effects

Try moving away from and not facing your amp.
Griffin Effects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

If it's the buzz at the beginning you're talking about, that would require a Noise Gate to filter it out. I recommend the ISP Decimator. I use it, and it's pretty transparent. I would advise against using it on a clean setting, but then again, you shouldn't need one running clean. It's fairly inexpensive unless you want the higher models, but I've honestly had no issues with mine. You just plug it into your effects loop and turn its only knob until it filters out the noise. Honestly, some players like to turn it up a little past that because it gives a more defined sound to their staccato playing, but at that point, it's going to kill some sustain, too. If you really want, you can try to find the source of the noise and fix it that way, but honestly, that's going to be more complicated and possibly expensive. I would jus throw a Gate in the loop and be done with it.

Another way to help the situation would be to run a little less gain. Just turn your gain down some and mids up some. It works best if you're cranking the amp at least a little, but it'll cut down on some noise and give you better note definition at the same time. If your guitar has the stock pickups, it's probably worth swapping those out too, if you're looking for better clarity and articulation.

One important thing to remember about a Noise Gate is that it's only going to be effective in any way if you have a Series Effects Loop. If your Loop is a Parallel Effects Loop, it's not really going to do you any good, as you'll be getting a mix of the wet and dry signals.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: