Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
sg4ever
clashof the coconuts

helping friend search for amp

Hey all. I'm just getting some suggestion for my friend to chew on. I've been walking him through the process of searching for a tube amp. He's been playing on a Line 6 Spider 4 120 at his house and does recordings with a PODHD500, but he's been building a pedal board and is searching for tube amp. His tastes run from clean stuff to more post/hardcore and metal. His recordings on the following links reflect his desired tones.

http://soundcloud.com/indiespiv/s-p...a-first-contact

http://soundcloud.com/indiespiv/s-perreira-falls-song

http://soundcloud.com/indiespiv/s-perreira-only-you

I've given him some suggestions and he was initially stoked for a Vox AC15VR because he liked the sound of the modern overdrive channel for his style, but it is 15 watt solid state amp with no fx loop for his time based effects. He is still inclined to look around though. He is not a fan of vintage sounds or "indie rock" sounds and just wants good cleans and modern distortion.

Any suggestions? I've suggested the some higher gain offerings from Egnater because they are more affordable and I'm inclined to suggest used Mesa combos. I get the feeling his price range is more around the $500-$600 range but he could probably stretch to $900 or so if I convince him.
Vox AC15C1
various pedals
sg4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I can't listen to the clips atm, so bear that in mind for now. However, if he's looking for a pretty versatile tube amp, nothing trumps the Egnater Vengeance. Now, it's no modelling amp, but in terms of tones it can achieve, it's pretty damn flexible. If he's running the Spider Cab that has V30's, sell the shit out of that Spider IV head and buy a Vengeance. It has so much on-the-go flexibility and so many useful features in top of having the ability to go from crystal cleans to gain-saturated distortion, and literally everything in between. I have some demos I recorded on my profile. I used it's "record out" jack on the rear into a PA, into my computer. It's a pretty redneck setup, but it still sounds great. It's effects loop is geared toward time-based effects and EQ's, so that's a plus too. I run just a noise gate and 10-band through mine. If you have any questions about the Vengeance, shoot. I've had mine for about 10 months now, and I've gigged many times with it and had it in the repair shop only once. (The outlet for the UPC pulled off of the back of the amp and damaged some internal wiring. It was my own fault more than anything, but was covered under warranty. I would recommend being very gentle with the power cable.)

Once I can have a go at those clips you posted, I'll give some more broad suggestions and I can decide more if this would be the best option. If you're suggesting Egnater, though, the Vengeance is a great choice.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I can't listen to the clips atm, so bear that in mind for now. However, if he's looking for a pretty versatile tube amp, nothing trumps the Egnater Vengeance. Now, it's no modelling amp, but in terms of tones it can achieve, it's pretty damn flexible. If he's running the Spider Cab that has V30's, sell the shit out of that Spider IV head and buy a Vengeance. It has so much on-the-go flexibility and so many useful features in top of having the ability to go from crystal cleans to gain-saturated distortion, and literally everything in between. I have some demos I recorded on my profile. I used it's "record out" jack on the rear into a PA, into my computer. It's a pretty redneck setup, but it still sounds great. It's effects loop is geared toward time-based effects and EQ's, so that's a plus too. I run just a noise gate and 10-band through mine. If you have any questions about the Vengeance, shoot. I've had mine for about 10 months now, and I've gigged many times with it and had it in the repair shop only once. (The outlet for the UPC pulled off of the back of the amp and damaged some internal wiring. It was my own fault more than anything, but was covered under warranty. I would recommend being very gentle with the power cable.)

Once I can have a go at those clips you posted, I'll give some more broad suggestions and I can decide more if this would be the best option. If you're suggesting Egnater, though, the Vengeance is a great choice.

Listen to this man.
A Peavey JSX/xxx/ultra may be worth a look as well if the Vengeance is unavaliable.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
sg4ever
clashof the coconuts

I've always felt like the Vengeance would be a great amp for him, and I forgot about the Peavey JSX. He doesn't remind me of any particular new metal artist in his own style, but he enjoys Sent By Ravens on the lighter end, Underoath, djenty stuff, and some metal/core on the heavier end.
Vox AC15C1
various pedals
sg4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg4ever
I've always felt like the Vengeance would be a great amp for him, and I forgot about the Peavey JSX. He doesn't remind me of any particular new metal artist in his own style, but he enjoys Sent By Ravens on the lighter end, Underoath, djenty stuff, and some metal/core on the heavier end.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Blktiger0/music/

Everything you'll find there is played on my Vengeance, although, apparently, some of the tracks I had have been taken down. If you want to hear it in action in a live setting, just PM me and I can send you links to me using it live. There's one live clip at that link, but it's not the best recording.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Vengeance is a cool amp but the cleans sound a little too chimey for my tastes any way it's dialed in. Boogie would be the obvious choice here and you can find the newer 3-channel ones used on eBay for around the same price as a Vengeance.

If I was to do metal, I wouldn't look anywhere else though.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

You aren't gonna find a dual rec for that price. just doesn't happen. (well...I mean maybe, but by a longshot).

for djenty stuff, the JSX is definitely worth a look. they go for $600 all day long.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
You aren't gonna find a dual rec for that price. just doesn't happen. (well...I mean maybe, but by a longshot).

for djenty stuff, the JSX is definitely worth a look. they go for $600 all day long.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie...=item5aea40f9ad

Just saying.

JSX would be a good choice for a lower budget, but if he sold that Line 6 and saved for another month, he could do much better.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #9
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
Vengeance is a cool amp but the cleans sound a little too chimey for my tastes any way it's dialed in. Boogie would be the obvious choice here and you can find the newer 3-channel ones used on eBay for around the same price as a Vengeance.

If I was to do metal, I wouldn't look anywhere else though.

Then you just aren't dialing it in right. If you can't get a clean tone you want with that amp, you're ignoring some features. With the Clean channel set to :
Tight: -
Bright: -
Gain: +
Mids: doesn't matter
Treble: 1:00 or less
Mids: To taste
Bass: 2:00 or more
Density: 2:00 or more
Presence: 10:00 or less
It shouldn't be chimey at all. I had some very mellow, bluesy cleans dialed in for quite a while. Maybe it's your pickups compare to mine. I'm running an AlNiCo II Pro in the neck, which I use for almost all of my clean tones.

Rate This Thread: