Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
CoreyJx18

Stuff you can learn when you don't have a guitar?

Hey, i was curious what could people learn when lets say for example they are in the car or jumping out of an air plane, while they have some "alone" time what could people learn/study when they are AWAY from their guitar, like with their phones or something you could learn by writing or figuring stuff out.

hope this made sense, thanks.
CoreyJx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
UnmagicMushroom
Banded

music theory
UnmagicMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

I use that interval training app when I'm in my car sometimes.
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
nosuchmanasmole
F**k 11 my amp goes to 13

write a song in your head , some of the best stuff ive written comes when im daydreaming at work
nosuchmanasmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
MetalCommand
Disappear to Infinity

Music theory, ear training. Oh, and listening to music.
MetalCommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalCommand
listening to music.

Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
CoreyJx18

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg158
I use that interval training app when I'm in my car sometimes.

is that the name off the actual app? is it on apple store?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
CoreyJx18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalCommand
Music theory, ear training. Oh, and listening to music.

what kind of music theory? im working my way up to learning the modes but im not their yet. i've already made a post about this already. i just don't know what i need to learn that would be applied and have effect on my "theory and skill" immediately. what kind of theory do u read when your on the road or whatever?

ear training? like how, again; what did u do?

and i always listen to music :]
Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #9
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyJx18
what kind of music theory? im working my way up to learning the modes but im not their yet. i've already made a post about this already. i just don't know what i need to learn that would be applied and have effect on my "theory and skill" immediately. what kind of theory do u read when your on the road or whatever?

stop

ignore modes and scales and how fast you can play.

learn to build chords, learn what a key is, and just stop there. focus on those 2 things for a damn long time, and learn them inside and out. understand the hell out of them.

Quote:
ear training? like how, again; what did u do?

learn music by ear, use the miles.be functional ear trainer (or a similar interval learning app/program). mostly music by ear, though. drop tabs completely as soon as you can.

Quote:
and i always listen to music :]

no you don't. when you listen to music, it needs to be done actively. you need to be able to make out at least the idea of what the music's doing without even realizing you're doing it. you know how you tap your foot along to a catchy song? after a good while, you'll be able to pick out certain intervals, simple chord qualities, and time signatures without even having an instrument in your hands.

being able to understand the music in such an intimate way will really allow you to understand anything theoretical to at least a practical level. music theory is really easy to skim over and "do" in a month if you're just reading along and saying "oh yeah i know that scale" and just doing enough to get there. you need to hammer in your ear for a very long time to really "get it" and they unfortunately don't point that out in the theory books as far as i'm aware.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
:-D
hi

Quote:
Hey, i was curious what could people learn when lets say for example they are in the car or jumping out of an air plane

the only thing i've really learned is how long i can reasonably be expected to hold off on urinating based on the inconvenience it would cause to other people in given situations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
cobooboc
Banned

I think that the theory is very important, but the practice is more important.I think maybe you should borrow a guitar.
cobooboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #12
CoreyJx18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
stop

ignore modes and scales and how fast you can play.

learn to build chords, learn what a key is, and just stop there. focus on those 2 things for a damn long time, and learn them inside and out. understand the hell out of them.

learn music by ear, use the miles.be functional ear trainer (or a similar interval learning app/program). mostly music by ear, though. drop tabs completely as soon as you can.

no you don't. when you listen to music, it needs to be done actively. you need to be able to make out at least the idea of what the music's doing without even realizing you're doing it. you know how you tap your foot along to a catchy song? after a good while, you'll be able to pick out certain intervals, simple chord qualities, and time signatures without even having an instrument in your hands.

being able to understand the music in such an intimate way will really allow you to understand anything theoretical to at least a practical level. music theory is really easy to skim over and "do" in a month if you're just reading along and saying "oh yeah i know that scale" and just doing enough to get there. you need to hammer in your ear for a very long time to really "get it" and they unfortunately don't point that out in the theory books as far as i'm aware.

First off, thank you for that input.

everything you said was absolutely right, and i think u can help me a lot.

i've explained everything in here on another post if u can please read it http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1565968

what you said is what im trying to do now, i rarely play songs, i only know a couple, i know more theory then any songs. the thing is i want to add theory to my music while im practicing so can develop; skill, theory, and technique. i want to get my "mind" more involved into my playing, the thing is i don't know what to practice, i don't know what i should be learning at this point.

im past beginner, like i said i know more theory then songs,(but im no expert) i think i have a really good understanding of at least "basic" music theory.

from what i gathered, i think i should be studying "harmony" and "chord progression" (i really love vii jazzy sounding chords) well let me know what u think.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #13
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D
the only thing i've really learned is how long i can reasonably be expected to hold off on urinating based on the inconvenience it would cause to other people in given situations

Theres the "How much do I care about inconveniencing these people?" factor... but your point is well made...and a worthwhile exercise... any results worth sharing?

Quote:
..or jumping out of an air plane...

If you are holding a TV set at the time...then you arent wasting your time. Else.... do some of the suggestions above....
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:08 AM   #14
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:

Not only that you'll be able to pick out the individual instruments. The bass won't just be a muddy noise in background - it'll be a real thing all rich and soulful. The violas won't sound like the violins, the clarinets will sound distinct from the oboes and so on. If you ever get into mixing as well you'll start to be able to identify which frequencies sound like they're missing, or exaggerrated.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #15
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
im past beginner, like i said i know more theory then songs,(but im no expert) i think i have a really good understanding of at least "basic" music theory.

Well, "basic" theory is much of what you said here...
Quote:
from what i gathered, i think i should be studying "harmony" and "chord progression" (i really love vii jazzy sounding chords) well let me know what u think.

Intervals of the chromatic scale and harmonization of the major scale. Then maybe you should look in to some beginner jazz studies.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #16
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:

what you said is what im trying to do now, i rarely play songs, i only know a couple, i know more theory then any songs.

if you want to learn how to write music, learn to play music. everything else you can possibly learn suffers very heavily from diminishing returns if you're not learning music constantly and actively and evolving your tastes, ear, and ability to understand how to manipulate your music.

there's no formula that will make a good song. the only way to do that is to learn, play, and write a lot of songs. there's a lot more than plugging in some chords and making music that you need to rely on intuition and experience to expand upon. music is, at the end of the day, still an art-form, and you could have read all of the theoretical tomes of every library in the entire world (short of schillinger method ) and it wouldn't mean anything without any inspiration or musical experience with your instrument(s).
Old 10-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
if you want to learn how to write music, learn to play music. everything else you can possibly learn suffers very heavily from diminishing returns if you're not learning music constantly and actively and evolving your tastes, ear, and ability to understand how to manipulate your music.

there's no formula that will make a good song. the only way to do that is to learn, play, and write a lot of songs. there's a lot more than plugging in some chords and making music that you need to rely on intuition and experience to expand upon. music is, at the end of the day, still an art-form, and you could have read all of the theoretical tomes of every library in the entire world (short of schillinger method ) and it wouldn't mean anything without any inspiration or musical experience with your instrument(s).

Wise you are, youngling
Old 10-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
Slashiepie
Banged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy__Head
Wise you are, youngling

He is just trying to win CCs respect.

_____

The Zappa avatar makes his words look even more badass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashiepie
He is just trying to win CCs respect.

Christ.

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashiepie
The Zappa avatar makes his words look even more badass...

I know, I know. No-one takes me seriously so I've changed my avatar to a picture of Webern. He's well serious. Think how much more weight my stupid-ass comments will carry now Webern's got my back
Old 10-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

I always took you seriously sleepy. Even though I usually read your posts in Simon from the chipmunks voice.
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: