mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #22
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg158
I always took you seriously sleepy. Even though I usually read your posts in Simon from the chipmunks voice.

Ironically Simon is my real name. Also - I have an unnaturally high pitched voice (farming accident - best not to ask).

Kidding about that last bit.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc

I've put him back, you soppy lot
Old 10-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #24
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy__Head
I've put him back, you soppy lot

mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #25
Sleaze Disease
EET FUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyJx18
Hey, i was curious what could people learn when lets say for example they are in the car or jumping out of an air plane

Well, you could follow Dave's example and write a killer song like "High Speed Dirt".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Sleaze Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #26
CoreyJx18

Whats going on here? Lol.
CoreyJx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:54 AM   #27
Hail
kill both bass players

i can't even be serious in a thread without derailing it
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #28
TheHydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy__Head
Not only that you'll be able to pick out the individual instruments. The bass won't just be a muddy noise in background - it'll be a real thing all rich and soulful. The violas won't sound like the violins, the clarinets will sound distinct from the oboes and so on. If you ever get into mixing as well you'll start to be able to identify which frequencies sound like they're missing, or exaggerrated.

Wait...there are people who can't identify individual instruments in a mix?
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #29
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHydra
Wait...there are people who can't identify individual instruments in a mix?

Sure there are, and some of them are musicians

To some extent identifying individual instruments is a matter of just paying attention, and lots of people don't really pay much attention, they just like the overall sound of the music. If you're off your tits in a club are you really paying attention to the interaction between three keyboards, or are the bloopy noises just doing your swede in?

Identifying individual instruments is also a case of knowing what those instruments sound like. If you don't know what an oboe sounds like how would you 'point' to the oboe in the mix?

There's also the fact that if the mixing engineer had a bad day, or there are stylistic conventions then some instruments can be virtually absent from the mix, even if they're contributing frequencies. Try to hear the bass in early Metallica recordings, for example. It's there, but it's not what you'd call prominent.

On top of that, in busier mixes it can be difficult to pinpoint all the instruments - Foo Fighters' "Pretender" is fairly busy towards the end and I only noticed the fourth guitar in the mix the other day when I was listening to the track a bit absent-mindedly.

And drums, vocals, four guitars, bass and the odd keyboard sound isn't that many instruments if you consider that a modern concert orchestra can have upwards of a hundred players. If you've got two flutes doubling each other in a quiet section it can be easy to tell they're doing that because of the slight chorus effect you'll get - add the strings and the rest of the woodwind and it becomes more difficult to tell. Add the brass and unless you're standing in the room it can be very difficult, if not impossible, to tell they're doubling each other without having the score in front of you.

It's like most things in much: There are degrees of being able to distinguish instruments, just as there are degrees of playing ability.

Rate This Thread: