Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
whoomit

Elm Topped Hollow Jazz-Shaped Build.

Well, I need space in the workshop so this (badly planned) guitar that I started a couple years back needs to go. If anybody wants to buy it then they're more than welcome to! It's an Ash bodied, Elm topped hollowbody. It was originally going to be a Telemaster but I've scrapped that idea. It's going to be at least 26" scale length, but maybe longer 'cause I've found a couple of pre-slotted fretboards in the cupboard that are about 27" scale length or something

As you can see, I used to prefer drawing shit on wood instead of actually working it

I neatened up the inside carve, but unfortunately I forgot to take pictures. Here it is glued up though:
Old 09-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
whoomit

So there's a slight gap on the outside (It's all sealed round the inside though, promise!)

I'll just add binding to cover it up 'cause this isn't something I'm planning on spending a lot of time on.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Another thread I can become too involved in

How much would you sell it for? (Not to me, I live on the other side of the planet, so it's somewhat inconvenient.)
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
whoomit

Ooh, a buyer!

Probably about £300-350 before hardware. I have a cheap wraparound bridge and a Dr. Parts zebra-humbucker that could be included in that price too if the (hypothetical) buyer wishes. This is just an estimate though, I'd have to do the maths

It's going to be a bit of a strange beast though really, with such a long scale length and 1 humbucker in the middle poition

Last edited by whoomit : 09-16-2012 at 12:37 PM.
whoomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #5
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Strange is my kind of thing. If I lived in Scotland and had the money I'd be interested
Old 09-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #6
LeviMan_2001

Looks cool! I'll be watching this.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
whoomit

Evened out the edges with the angle grinder:

I've done a bit more shaping since this, but I haven't got a picture.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Seriously man, fuck you for making/fixing all the guitar styles I want. Fuck. You.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
dannyalcatraz

Mmmm...tempting! Even though I live in the USA.

Is it going to have coil-splitting?
What kind of finish are you going to put on it?

Do you have other examples of your work to compare to?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 09-18-2012 at 10:56 AM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #10
whoomit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecaster7
Seriously man, fuck you for making/fixing all the guitar styles I want. Fuck. You.

Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Mmmm...tempting! Even though I live in the USA.

Is it going to have coil-splitting?
What kind of finish are you going to put on it?

Do you have other examples of your work to compare to?

It could have if somebody wanted If nobody commits to buy then I'll probably just go simple volume and tone wiring. I'm crap at electronics anyway

I'm not yet decided on finish. Either nitro or some sort of oil, either danish or teak (I'm yet to use teak oil, but I'll be trying it out on a neck I'm refinishing soon).

The only real example I have is this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1550516

Other than that I built my first guitar (under guidance from an experienced luthier) but haven't put a finish on it yet. This is the only picture I have, the guitar's actually together, carved, and has a blue stain now though:

My first build on my own was this:

Which was crap, and I cut up as firewood:

Then the Tele which I linked earlier which is fantastic because I actually got myself together and started planning things properly.

Other than that I've built parts that are just sitting around here and there (like this body was) waiting for something to happen to them. I'm sorting out all these bits at the moment to get more space in the workshop for the large amount of templates I'm currently working on!
Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #11
whoomit

Oh yeah, back to the build...

I didn't get to continue my carving yesterday as it was raining again. I put some water on just to see the colour though:

It looked a bit more golden in real life though. The workshop lights aren't the best for photos.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
whoomit

Okay, I don't think this thing's going to get finished. I started routing the binding channel. The back of the guitar's not level in the slightest. It's only about 2mm thick so there's no real room to plane it.

Here's my very safely suspended router though >_>

Rate This Thread: