Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
TheSilverBeetle
Vs. the Infinite Sadness

Writing licks, finding chords, and beginning theory.

So I am having trouble grasping the concepts of writing a lick and then finding chords to finish the song. I think you find the relative minor(?) or something of the first note of the lick? I am also writing a song and have a few chords of it worked out and I'm trying to decide if I want a lick to go with it. So I guess the above question but vice-versa. I appreciate any help I get to cure my stupidity. Thank you!

My Tumblr. I always follow back.
TheSilverBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players

if making a song not suck was a formula, albert einstein would have been in falco instead of a being a ratchet ass physicist
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
if making a song not suck was a formula, albert einstein would have been in falco instead of a being a ratchet ass physicist

Holy Shit that's so ****ing sig-able.
Sorry for my french.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
metalmetalhead
Panterica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail

such a stupid thing to say..

anyways. learn intervals and the major scale this is the gateway to music theory. I know it can be very time consuming but its well worth it.

learn chord construction. you must learn the major scale on paper not just on the guitar.

If you know chords and notes you can figure out what chords you made and what key there in..

examine your piece

An example. C major and A minor have no sharp or flat notes..so Ill use that..

C major 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 = C D E F G A B C Its relative minor is A(means it carries the same notes of C major) The 6ths scale degree from 1 is your relative minor.
6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 = A B C D E F G A

those are 2 different scales with the same notes. Lets see how chord progressions function within the scale of C

1 4 5= l lV V this is C F G 3 chords now lets dive deeper into the chords to make a triad you need 3 notes for each chord..1 3 5 major 1 b3 5 minor.

C E G make a C major
F A C make a F major
G B D make a G major

All the notes match the scale already. but if you have a chord that doesn't match the notes you may have to change the chord quality. look here

the D chord D F# A, D major has an F# the interval name is major 3rd (3) in the key of D. to make it match the scale we must flatten it making it a minor third (b3) making it a D minor .

This is getting into harmony but music theory goes hand in hand with the other subjects. theres more to it then this.

check out my youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenebowen
metalmetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverBeetle
So I am having trouble grasping the concepts of writing a lick and then finding chords to finish the song.

Just to clarify:
You want to know what chords go with a lick?
You want to know how to string chords together in order to make a song?

Quote:
I think you find the relative minor(?) or something of the first note of the lick?

Um ...

Quote:
I am also writing a song and have a few chords of it worked out and I'm trying to decide if I want a lick to go with it.

Er, there's only you can decide if you want a lick to go in your song?
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
HotspurJr

Quote:
So I am having trouble grasping the concepts of writing a lick and then finding chords to finish the song. I think you find the relative minor(?) or something of the first note of the lick? I am also writing a song and have a few chords of it worked out and I'm trying to decide if I want a lick to go with it. So I guess the above question but vice-versa. I appreciate any help I get to cure my stupidity. Thank you!

I'm going to give you two ways to do this. One is right. One is wrong. They both work, but one tends to result is mediocre music.

The right way is to train your ear until you get to a point where you can think in music, play your lick, and then listen for what your brain wants to hear. You will, as you train your ear, get better and better at "hearing something" in the silence - the part of the song you want to have come next.

The wrong way is to find the key of the riff (where does it want to resolve?) and to use your knowledge of theory to help you futz around in that key until you accidentally play something that works.

Of course you can do this in reverse, too - you play the chords, listening to for a lick you want to hear (good!) or just futz around in key until you stumble across something (not so good).

Of "bad" way is more common with people who aren't very good because it's much easier to learn a little theory and futz around than it is to train your ear. The primary downside is that it tends to produce uninteresting music.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmetalhead
such a stupid thing to say..

(formula snip)

Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
metalmetalhead
Panterica

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
I'm going to give you two ways to do this. One is right. One is wrong. They both work, but one tends to result is mediocre music.

The right way is to train your ear until you get to a point where you can think in music, play your lick, and then listen for what your brain wants to hear. You will, as you train your ear, get better and better at "hearing something" in the silence - the part of the song you want to have come next.

The wrong way is to find the key of the riff (where does it want to resolve?) and to use your knowledge of theory to help you futz around in that key until you accidentally play something that works.

Of course you can do this in reverse, too - you play the chords, listening to for a lick you want to hear (good!) or just futz around in key until you stumble across something (not so good).

Of "bad" way is more common with people who aren't very good because it's much easier to learn a little theory and futz around than it is to train your ear. The primary downside is that it tends to produce uninteresting music.

ear training certainly helped me. More then any music theory knowledge.

check out my youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenebowen
metalmetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: