Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
oween5

Parkway Drive Tone? (Yes, another one...)

I feel so small here being a new poster and also having many people on here who have setups that seem crazy in my mind but are average for most... but I'm young I guess... So I shouldn't have a huge head and cab and a full pedal board... right... :/

Anyway... metalcore... Parkway Drive specifically, sort of Memphis May Fire and Killswitch Engage too... music I like!
I know people have asked for help with this type of tone (PwD) before but I find it's kind of setup specific... I'm really looking for what pedal I'd need to get since what I have isn't enough for sure...

So I have a Fender Blues Junior III amp... (god... so bad compared to you all)
An MXR GT-OD pedal...
And an Epiphone SG G-310 and a Fender American Telecaster (which I may put humbuckers or hot rails into)

So yes if anyone can help, and if I am being completely stupid thinking I can get this sound with my stuff... well try not to be so harsh, I already feel stupid being here...
oween5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Basically, your gear is completely wrong for what you want to play. Unless you get a really good dirt pedal like a Triple Wreck or something, you'd be far better off trying to sell your amp and getting something appropriate.

Ideally, with the budget I'm assuming you're working with, you should look into the Peavey 6505+ 112 and the Peavey Vypyr Tube.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Basically, your gear is completely wrong for what you want to play. Unless you get a really good dirt pedal like a Triple Wreck or something, you'd be far better off trying to sell your amp and getting something appropriate.

Ideally, with the budget I'm assuming you're working with, you should look into the Peavey 6505+ 112 and the Peavey Vypyr Tube.

x2

nearly everyone starts off with small cheap gear. Offworld had great recommendations all the way around. Cheap solution is a high quality pedal, more expensive and accurate is a new amp. Maybe you can look on your local craigslist for a 6505+ combo.

Focus on playing and playing well rather than on gear. Its a better investment.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

With your gear you for sure wont be able to get a Parkway tone. I'd highly recommend against getting a pedal to achieve that tone because it really wont do much. An expensive pedal wont make a shit amp sound good.

The above posts are definitely right in saying to look into a new amp. I never tried the 6505+ but i heard it's a good amp for the relatively cheap cost.
I tend to think i can achieve a really solid Parkway tone with my amp to be honest..

I use an Orange Dark Terror with an Orange PPC112 cab. Cost around a grand here in Australia brand new but pretty much anywhere is cheaper than Australia, especially if you go second hand.
Personally i think Orange amps are a better choice than the Peavey for a Parkway tone (granted Orange is a lot more expensive). They tend to have a more bass heavy / dark tone. Real in your face. At least that's from my experience with Orange amps. And i know a shitload of metalcore / death metal / whatever bands use Orange.

If you want i can send you a sample of a Parkway song i covered a couple weeks ago with my amp. Maybe it can give you an idea of the sound you can achieve with straight guitar to amp.

EDIT: Forgot to mention your guitars. Neither of them are built properly for playing that kind of music. That being said an amp is WAY more important than a guitar. You could get a nice sound with those guitars and a good amp, but not vice versa.

Last edited by vayne92 : 10-02-2012 at 03:20 AM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy

Parkway Drive use 6505+ amps and ESP guitars with EMGs.
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
loki_lulamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
t1mman

All that is metalcore tone:

-6505/5150/EVH, some of them uses framus, krank, something in that era.
The EVH III (or any made by fender) will have a better "clean" tone. The 6505/5150 tends to have a "dirty" clean.

-Tube Screamer (Ibanez TS9, TS808, Maxon OD808)
-High output humbuckers, most likely EMG 81 / 85

Comple that with a good cab, V30 speakers most likeley will give you a better tone IMHO
t1mman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Contrary to some above, you don't have a 'shit' amp, you just don't have the right amp.

Vypyr Tube 60 would be your best choice because not only will it do what you need it to at a very reasonable price, as a relatively new player it will let you explore a world of alternative soundscapes and find what YOU want to sound like.

While the 6505 suggestions will get you where you want to be today, that might not be where you want to end up...
Old 10-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Dan_5893
Interdit

There's nothing wrong with the Blues Jr III, they're fantastic amps. Just not for metalcore. I hate the 6505 with a passion but it's the amp for the job here. The Parkway sound is active pickups into a 6505 with a Tubescreamer used to tighten the whole thing up. Your GT-OD is perfect for that role, seeing as it's a TS clone, so you just need the amp, and then, when you can afford it, some actives for your SG.

I'm actually a Brummie.
Dan_5893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
mespinos
Hamer time

IMO any flavor of orange amps would be a horrible choice for parkway drive.

6505 + tube screamer + emgs = parkway.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
oween5

thanks... i thought my amp wouldn't be quite what was ideal for the tone, but i obviously don't know much so I thought it might be worth asking... I might not upgrade amps yet as I will definitely work more on playing, and having a perfect tone for one genre of music isn't necessary for me yet...
So ya... I do feel kinda dumb for asking that in the end, but I learned some things, and that's always good!

And I also only bought the Overdrive pedal since I wanted a basic overdrive pedal that would be better for less heavy rock music... more classic rock I guess...

Last edited by oween5 : 10-02-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #11
oween5

well im not that new to guitar... I just haven't really progressed quickly in this genre of music... i learned fingerstyle things for while, among other things of other genres (like green day, I spend a while learning their songs, simple power chord songs), so my super fancy fretwork still needs some work, but I'm not a terrible beginner...

But I agree seeing as though my taste of music changes a lot, I wouldn't want an amp that would be good for metal but wouldn't allow nice cleans (or as nice cleans for when I play other things)

PS: this is a reply to Arby911
Old 10-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #12
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by oween5
well im not that new to guitar... I just haven't really progressed quickly in this genre of music... i learned fingerstyle things for while, among other things of other genres (like green day, I spend a while learning their songs, simple power chord songs), so my super fancy fretwork still needs some work, but I'm not a terrible beginner...

But I agree seeing as though my taste of music changes a lot, I wouldn't want an amp that would be good for metal but wouldn't allow nice cleans (or as nice cleans for when I play other things)

Don't feel too bad mate I spent the majority of my guitar playing life playing basic pop punk power chords as I never had a need to learn anything else. Now as i'm getting into metal I find some of the techniques quite hard

If you want a wide variety of tones in an easy package it's pretty hard to go past a Peavey Vypyr

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #13
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by oween5

The vypyr series would be great for you. The tube 60 is better then the SS. It can cover a lot of ground. You would at least really be able to get a taste of what you like and would still work if you switch styles in 6 months.

(Just make sure you get one that has the 12 inch speaker or greater, the models below the 30 have less features)
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:10 AM   #14
T7E
All smiles :)

DROP B+EMGS+TUBESCREAMER+6505=Parkwaydrive
Dr Scientist The Cleanness
Idustrialectric Reverb Machine
Smallsound/Bigsound Buzzz
Smallsound/Bigsound Mini
Strymon EL Capistan
Barwatt Rocket 30w
T7E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Contrary to some above, you don't have a 'shit' amp, you just don't have the right amp.

Vypyr Tube 60 would be your best choice because not only will it do what you need it to at a very reasonable price, as a relatively new player it will let you explore a world of alternative soundscapes and find what YOU want to sound like.

While the 6505 suggestions will get you where you want to be today, that might not be where you want to end up...

+100

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #16
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

the Vypyr 60 is pretty damn cheap too, keep your blues junior and just pick one up. That way you've got a wonderful little blues/rock amp and a good metal and other stuff amp.

Rate This Thread: