Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Blues & Jazz
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
j_hunter_hkr
aka Jamie

The ONLY Peter Green Thread

I'm shocked there isn't one already...

After a recent discussion in the Gary Moore thread it seems we have a few Peter Green fans here. He's probably my favourite guitarist. So, yes..... discuss.

Jumpin' At Shadows:
http://vudyo.com/view_video.php?vie...d4b657d5d82ee0e

This is probably my favourite blues song. Great lyrics by Duster Bennet and an incredible vocal and guitar performance from Greeny. The rest of Fleetwood Mac aren't bad either Just perfect.

Last edited by j_hunter_hkr : 04-02-2009 at 09:29 AM.
j_hunter_hkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
slidething31

I love Peter Green. The Hard Road album with Mayall is great. Jumping At Shadows is awesome as well.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
fireoptic

YES! We needed a Peter Green thread... I love his stuff with Mayall, and the first Fleetwood Mac album!

I can't get enough of his slide guitar stuff... "My Heart Beat like a Hammer" is incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaldin714
why does Thin Lizzy sing in english if they are from ireland
fireoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism

Location: "Over the hills, where the spirits fly" - Praying to the Gods of Rock in the Houses of the Holy - PM me to join Zeppelinism.
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac is what I listen to most from this amazing man. I do own some other albums of his, but Peter's era with The Mac was great.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/zeppelinism/

...Otherwise, rot in Hell.
TheHeartbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:08 AM   #5
Dalron
Discovering the Blues

(I've moved this over from the Gary Moore thread.)

There are some interesting Peter Green videos on YouTube and here's a list of albums where PG 'guested' but I don't know if it's complete:

http://www.fmlegacy.com/PGguests.html
Dalron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
j_hunter_hkr
aka Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalron
(I've moved this over from the Gary Moore thread.)

There are some interesting Peter Green videos on YouTube and here's a list of albums where PG 'guested' but I don't know if it's complete:

http://www.fmlegacy.com/PGguests.html

That's a great find! Looks like July is going to be an expensive month!
j_hunter_hkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
TheDev01dOne
Hard Time Killin' Floor

Peter Green is awesome, I got into him through Gary Moore aswell and The LP, I think Green Manalishi is my favourite song of his, which isn't very bluesy.. But blues songs it is easily 'A Fool No More' and 'Need Your Love So Bad'..

Need your love so bad has exactly the same chords/structure as John Mayer's 'I'm gonna find another you' which I already cover, so I'm gonna learn the lyrics to NYLSB and then I can mix and match them maybe.

ANyone else think that The Peter Green Splinter Group kinda sucks balls? It's cool that he's playing guitar again and his voice is better than ever IMO but there just doesn't seem to be passion in it. I have a DVD about him and then goes int the Splinter Group time at the end and it's like his friend's sister who is their 'manager' just seems to talk/answer for him and tell him what to do and he really doesn't seem very enthused about it.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong.

Support Australian Blues

My Music
TheDev01dOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
Encore_God
UG Legend

I'm a massive Greeny fan, as folks on here will tell you. I learned to play the blues by listening to him. I also own pretty much every PGFM record, haha.

I'll be quiet now. But not before I advise you all to check out YouTube, as there's some excellent live stuff, rare recordings, B-sides, early stuff, late stuff. It's ace

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Encore_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism

Location: "Over the hills, where the spirits fly" - Praying to the Gods of Rock in the Houses of the Holy - PM me to join Zeppelinism.
Indeed, Encore god, I have seen several performances of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac on YouTube.

To me that band was about perfection. Everything is so precise and sounds beautiful.

Oh, and I don't count as Zeppelin-centrism, right?

Old 07-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #10
slayer1516
Hates his username

What I have heard from him is great, especially the stuff with Mayall. Its a shame what happened to him.

Also, I hate what they did to Fleetwood Mac. It turned from an amazing blues band to a second rate Eagles. IMO
slayer1516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #11
Dale_kerigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireoptic
YES! We needed a Peter Green thread... I love his stuff with Mayall, and the first Fleetwood Mac album!

I can't get enough of his slide guitar stuff... "My Heart Beat like a Hammer" is incredible.

Although peter does play slide on this song, the lead slide and vocals are done by jeremy spencer, Fleetwood Mac's other guitarist.

Along with Clapton and Allman, Greeny is definetly one of my favorite guitarist. He's got some of the best touch in his playing, that man could kill an elephant with a single note, if you know what I mean. . . .

I'd recommend 'blues jam in chicago' to everyone, just listen to someday soon baby.
Dale_kerigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #12
Encore_God
UG Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireoptic

That was actually all Jeremy. Amazingly, he improved over the course of his Mac career. Check out 'Got to Move' from Boston 1970... sensational.

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Encore_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #13
dr_john
yer blues

yes we needed this thread.

i bet i'm the only one in the thread who actually saw greeny play with fleetwood mac in pubs and clubs all over the uk. one of the benefits of being old i guess, that and free eye tests.

i have a few anecdotes about pete green, some of which i have already mentioned in other threads, so i don't want to be boring and repeat them again - unless there are requests?

Old 07-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #14
slidething31

I'd love to hear some Greeny anecdotes.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #15
GD_GC
Master of the Blues Duels

He is an awesome guitarist, I love "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac."
Old 07-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #16
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_john

i bet i'm the only one in the thread who actually saw greeny play with fleetwood mac in pubs and clubs all over the uk. one of the benefits of being old i guess, that and free eye tests.

i have a few anecdotes about pete green, some of which i have already mentioned in other threads, so i don't want to be boring and repeat them again - unless there are requests?

You lucky old fart.

Hell yes!

I'd love to!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
Dalron
Discovering the Blues

Quote:

From one old fart to another, yes, I would like to hear them please.
Dalron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #18
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism

Quote:

Share!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #19
dr_john
yer blues

well, ok. here i go, kicking and screaming.

the first time i saw him was at wolverhampton civic hall in 1965/66 ish (fer chrissake don't nail me on the exact year), with john mayall's bluesbreakers. he had just taken over from clapton and we were all ready to be a bit critical i guess. anyway, as history knows, he was a much more than adequate replacement and blew us all away. as i remember, the sets they did were a bit of a mix of 'the beano' album and 'hard road'. i do remember an outstanding performance of 'the stumble'.

between sets, i got talking to him in the bar and found that he was a very communicative guy, eager to discuss guitars and music. i had noticed that the neck pickup was missing on his les paul, he told me that he had 'put it on another guitar'. this is something of a clue to his later fabled tone due to a reversed pickup, i guess that when he put it back in (by mistake or deliberately) he put it back the other way to the traditional gibson factory setting.

my memory of that meeting was of a very unassuming, sweet, ordinary guy who just lived for playing blues guitar.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #20
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism

Quote:
the first time i saw him was at wolverhampton civic hall in 1965/66 ish (fer chrissake don't nail me on the exact year)

Man, you're ****ing old!

Only joking.

That's really neat, though. I'd kill for an experience like that.

Rate This Thread: