Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
jsync

is the scale of my neck preventing this technique?

Im trying to learn wide intervallic stretches. similar to what shawn lane would do. this has stretches like 6-9-12 on the low e. although i can play that, that kind of stretch absolutely hurts my hand and i can't do it without strain. and i have very large stretchy hands too.

im wondering if my neck scale (25.5") is too large for a normal person to get these stretches. I'm really not sure if the difference between this scale length and all the 24.75 (les pauls and shawns viger i think) is enough of a difference to stop the pain.
jsync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

My Jackson DK2M has a 25.5 scale length, and I can play that. And I have relatively small hands. So I'd say it's probably a technique issue, not a gear issue.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

As Junior said, it's almost certainly a technique issue.

Make sure your thumb is as low on the back of the neck as possible and change the angle of the neck if you need to so the headstock is pointing up. That makes these kinds of ideas much easier.

If that doesn't do it then I suspect it's likely to be an issue of the right kind of practice. A good way to work on these ideas is take the same stretch and move it higher on the fretboard (say 14-17-20) and work on it there; get your technique right and make sure you're comfortable doing it. When you're good at it there move it down a fret and get comfortable there (so 13-16-19 now). Repeat the process making sure you're comfortable at every fret on the way down until you can do it in the position you want to.

It might take a while doing it that way but you'll know for sure that you're not straining anything as the gradually increasing spacing between your fingers makes it much easier.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
jsync

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
My Jackson DK2M has a 25.5 scale length, and I can play that. And I have relatively small hands. So I'd say it's probably a technique issue, not a gear issue.

my technique is fine. im talking about playing wide intervallic 3 note per string phrases at about 12-18 notes per second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sk...etailpage#t=47s

its seems to be a matter of not sustaining any speed without using stretches that will cause injury. which is why im wondering whether a smaller scale neck would create a noticeable difference.

just to re-iterate. i usually play with out strain. stretching this far is a whole other story. not really a case of taking it slow then progressing upward. as far as my stretch goes, i'm all but certain ive already reached my limit.

Last edited by jsync : 10-03-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

I suggest you re-read my post. I've spent a lot of time practicing that way and I can make a 4-7-10 stretch and play at speed on the low B string of my 7 string. I assure you my hands are no different from yours.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
jsync

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I suggest you re-read my post. I've spent a lot of time practicing that way and I can make a 4-7-10 stretch and play at speed on the low B string of my 7 string. I assure you my hands are no different from yours.

actually i probably should have mentioned that. i have mild marfans syndrome. my hands are 2 times the size they should be, so stretching is a strain on my tiny wrists.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsync
actually i probably should have mentioned that. i have mild marfans syndrome. my hands are 2 times the size they should be, so stretching is a strain on my tiny wrists.

Yeah, that would have been a thing to mention in the first place...

This is well beyond my knowledge then, I didn't even know Marfan's syndrome existed until just now. As with anything that's got anything to do with being ill or similar I will suggest what I always do: consult a medical professional of some kind. The people of this forum don't have enough knowledge to answer this question.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

In my experience, stretching is almost always an issue with posture, give this a watch -

The scale length of your guitar isn't really a big deal - three quarters of an inch spread between 25 or so inches is effectively negligible. I can make that stretch on my 30in scale with my extremely average hands, you almost definitely can.

The only cases I've dealt with where posture wasn't the issue with stretches were little kids and people with a history of hand trauma (top tip - barfighting not good for stretches!). Marfans may be an issue but I suspect it isn't a major one here. For what it's worth, Paganini may have had Marfans and it's often cited as the reason he could make incredible stretches.

If you want an easy drill to do to improve it, do this for a few minutes after you warm up -
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: