Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
strife927

Suggestion, Opinion or whatever.

Hi guys, I tried doing a cover for a song and uhm. I wanted to know how did I do? Can I sing? I'm asking you guys since I remember when I was a kid they told me to stop trying since I can't -_-. I believed them since I really can't! But then there's these people who said it's pretty good. Please tell me what you really think. Don't just say it's okay just because you're trying to be nice. Please. And Thanks

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...all/play1138442
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...all/play1138442

link changed for a different cover. forget the first one:P

Last edited by strife927 : 09-29-2012 at 11:07 PM.
strife927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
strife927

anyone?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
sea`

To be totally honest, your voice is incredibly pitchy and weak-sounding. I don't know how long you have been singing but step one is probably to get a vocal trainer and singing lessons if you do want to learn how.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
Matt Chavie
aspiring breakdancer...

I don't think you are singing correctly? I don't really know how to sing correctly but there should be a lot more body to your voice and it should sound bigger even when you're quiet. You seem to be singing the notes correctly just not with good technique.
Matt Chavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Tyson2011

I'm still a student, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt

You are very nasal, and while singing in the mask is a good thing, you're going to have to raise your soft palette in your mouth when you sing to keep your tone full "sing a scale on the ng in the word bring to get a feel for where your soft palette should be"

watch your vowels, and don't hang on consonants. think of every vowel as having a little bit of "oooo" in it, like when you end a word in eeeee, it sounds really gross. intstead of singing "ee" sing more of an "meh", idk how to write it, i haven't actually taken diction classes yet...

project your sound foward, hold your hand out straight infront of you, and feel as though you are projecting your sound towards that.

you definitely need to increase volume, atleast to speech level. I also think think these songs are too high for you and you're trying to rely on a very shaky falsetto to achieve these notes..which you're not hitting consistently.

Overall, I'd recommend getting a voice teacher.
Tyson2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
strife927

I see. I guess I really need a teacher.

How long have I been singing? like two weeks. :P

can you guys check this out? I hope its a better one than this.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...all/play1139297
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...all/play1139297
Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
HotspurJr

I think you sound alright until you get up near the very top of your range, where you start to sound thin and reedy but that's what happens when you don't have very good technique.

This context isn't doing your voice a lot of favors since you're trying to sound liek someone else and you haven't done a very good job of mixing it.

But the thing is - you wouldn't throw up a guitar cover you played when you hadn't had any lessons and had only been messing around for two weeks and ask people if you could play or not, would you? I mean, what would we say then?

So why are you doing that with singing?

If this is important to you, get lessons. I don't hear anything which makes me think you can't learn to sing. In fact, I think your voice has an interesting timbre. But you're going to have to learn how to use it.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
strife927

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
If this is important to you, get lessons. I don't hear anything which makes me think you can't learn to sing. In fact, I think your voice has an interesting timbre. But you're going to have to learn how to use it.

Man, thanks for that comment. I appreciate it greatly. But I'm curious about something. I don't think my dad would let me to get a teacher for lessons anytime soon since were having a bit of problems. So is vocal different from learning guitar? I mean, you can teach yourself in playing guitar.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
HotspurJr

In my opinion, yes. Vocals are really different. It's much harder to really be objective about what you're doing, and you can't look at a youtube video and see "oh, that's the technique I need to use." The technique for singing is largely invisible. Not all of it, but lots of it.

There might be inexpensive group lessons or an elective in school where you'd get a chance to work on some of this stuff.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
strife927

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
In my opinion, yes. Vocals are really different. It's much harder to really be objective about what you're doing, and you can't look at a youtube video and see "oh, that's the technique I need to use." The technique for singing is largely invisible. Not all of it, but lots of it.

There might be inexpensive group lessons or an elective in school where you'd get a chance to work on some of this stuff.

I'll try to figure it out. Thanks!

Rate This Thread: