Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Preconception

Marshall MG15 is a crappy amp that sounds awful? Well, Ola Englund just uploaded this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be9o...g&feature=g-u-u

I'm not just advertising fearedse here, I'd actually like to see peoples opinions on this vid. The MG stereotype is that you cannot get them to sound good, and that almost any amp is better than one. This video still proves that it might be wrong to blame the amp if you cannot use it to it's full extent...

To be honest, Ola himself said that the amp was awful. But it was still entertaining and interesting to hear it sounding so good. Maybe I can get some discussion out of this since I'm bored

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112

Last edited by guitar/bass95 : 10-04-2012 at 01:54 PM.
guitar/bass95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
zl1288

I can't watch the video at work, but I'm guessing the moral of the story is that you can make anything sound good with proper recording and post processing techniques...
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1288
I can't watch the video at work, but I'm guessing the moral of the story is that you can make anything sound good with proper recording and post processing techniques...

No post EQ used in the recording

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
guitar/bass95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Roc8995

I don't think the MG stereotype is that nobody could ever get a decent sound out of it. To me the consensus is just that it's a crappy overpriced amp. There's a lot of this strawman argument going on with popular budget gear.

The fact that Ola can get a good sound out of an amp to me just indicates that it's turned on. It says nothing about the quality or value of it.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

awful
Old 10-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar/bass95
No post EQ used in the recording

He hasn't said he didn't use any gates or compressors, or double tracking (you can duplicate a track and still have both on one side)
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
MM14
Master Baster

I still didn't like it
MM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
I don't think the MG stereotype is that nobody could ever get a decent sound out of it. To me the consensus is just that it's a crappy overpriced amp. There's a lot of this strawman argument going on with popular budget gear.

The fact that Ola can get a good sound out of an amp to me just indicates that it's turned on. It says nothing about the quality or value of it.

exactly. there's a lot of this oversimplifying (not to mention strawmanning) going on (not just with guitar stuff), which is really annoying. The only two options aren't "sounds acceptable" and "doesn't sound acceptable". It's a continuum. There are better amps available for the same price (and which are more versatile, too). To me, that means the MG isn't so great.

I mean, what's the point of the vid? "Good player makes budget gear sound not too bad on a youtube vid with pro recording gear and maybe post-processing?"

Wow, that's a revelation.

Plus, I mean would you buy one? I know when I'm buying gear, I'm not buying stuff which "can be just about dialled in to sound vaguely acceptable", I'm buying stuff that I think is good.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #9
Ola Englund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
He hasn't said he didn't use any gates or compressors, or double tracking (you can duplicate a track and still have both on one side)

No gates or compressions used.

And is double tracking not allowed now? You can hear the parts where there is a single guitar playing and then two guitars playing. Doesn't that show how the amp sounds? Geezus I just love how people are experts... If you don't like the video don't watch it...
Old 10-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

ice burn.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:17 AM   #11
Ola Englund

I'm getting old and fartsy, I'll be on my way now...
Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #12
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Englund
No gates or compressions used.

And is double tracking not allowed now? You can hear the parts where there is a single guitar playing and then two guitars playing. Doesn't that show how the amp sounds? Geezus I just love how people are experts... If you don't like the video don't watch it...

i'd say anything is fair game, double tracking is pretty standard.

the video isn't my cup 'o tea, but i watched it cuz someone posted it and i was interested in someone 'making an MG sound good'.

since i am big on personal preference, then i don't hold any absolutes when it comes to guitar tone. i just try to observe the positives and negatives:

-i thought the tone was a bit buzzy sounding. that might have been a result of the smaller speaker and the mid cut/treble boosted setting on the EQ.
-i though the guitar tone actually positioned itself in the mix quite well, the low end was well covered by the bass and kick.

just about any gear can be used to good effect, and this was one video that def played to the MG's strengths.

if you are THE Ola in the vid, then good job on the vid. people should realize that a good approach to overall tone is more important than the gear you work with.

i am no expert, just an amateur who desires to improve himself.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #13
Ola Englund

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
i'd say anything is fair game, double tracking is pretty standard.

the video isn't my cup 'o tea, but i watched it cuz someone posted it and i was interested in someone 'making an MG sound good'.

since i am big on personal preference, then i don't hold any absolutes when it comes to guitar tone. i just try to observe the positives and negatives:

-i thought the tone was a bit buzzy sounding. that might have been a result of the smaller speaker and the mid cut/treble boosted setting on the EQ.
-i though the guitar tone actually positioned itself in the mix quite well, the low end was well covered by the bass and kick.

just about any gear can be used to good effect, and this was one video that def played to the MG's strengths.

if you are THE Ola in the vid, then good job on the vid. people should realize that a good approach to overall tone is more important than the gear you work with.

i am no expert, just an amateur who desires to improve himself.

Thank you

to be fair, if you listened to the part where I play it by its own(in the beginning and a bit into the song) it doesn't sounds good. I never thought it sounded good at all. BUT with a bass guitar and drums, it works. I do know how to dial a tone that will fit together with a bass guitar and drums and that's what I'm going for in my videos(since I don't use post processing or eq afterwards)

Also my thoughts are like this: People buying a MG15 are probably on a budget, SO they are probably either starting learning playing guitar and has a budget guitar to go with it. It's bound to sound like ass. Even with my S7G guitar with Seymour Duncan pickups it sounds like ass.

With that said having budget stuff isn't a bad thing at all or makes you a terrible player. In some countries there is hard as **** just to get decent gear that's not overpriced. So I can definitely see these small combos sell. As practice rigs, I don't think they're meant to be recorded

This is probably one of the worst amps I've ever tried but if you just hit those strings hard as ****, power will shine through even the most sucky equipment.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 AM   #14
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Sometimes I think people listen to too much GUITAR, and not enough MUSIC.

Songwriting is very important. Ola has dialed in a tone that fits very well with the tune he's playing along to.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra

Last edited by Reincaster : 10-05-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 AM   #15
MatrixClaw
UG God

This was already posted in our chat thread in the Recording forum, but:

Honestly, it sounds really stuffy in the mids to me, and pretty boxy (though that's to be expected from a 8" speaker) It sounds pretty flat and lifeless when it's solo'd at the beginning, but once the rest of the instruments come in, it's definitely thickened up by the bass.

Better than I expected, but definitely not anywhere close to my favorite tones from you, Ola. I feel like the 7 string really adds to the sound though, which is why I've never really loved any of your tones, but they also aren't bad, by any means. It's just, nearly all 7 string productions sound super boring to me, all very one-dimensional tones, though I think that helps the MG in this case.

Unless a demo is done with a 6 string, it really doesn't mean anything to me, because you lose so much frequency range by only chugging on the super low strings, that the actually sound of the amp can't really be judged that well

I'm not meaning to bash you though, Ola - I really enjoy a lot of your tunes, and this video was definitely a really good effort at dispelling the notion that these amps can't sound good. While this certainly isn't a tone that I'd use for an official release, I'm sure it would be perfectly passable live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #16
Ola Englund

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
This was already posted in our chat thread in the Recording forum, but:

Honestly, it sounds really stuffy in the mids to me, and pretty boxy (though that's to be expected from a 8" speaker) It sounds pretty flat and lifeless when it's solo'd at the beginning, but once the rest of the instruments come in, it's definitely thickened up by the bass.

Better than I expected, but definitely not anywhere close to my favorite tones from you, Ola. I feel like the 7 string really adds to the sound though, which is why I've never really loved any of your tones, but they also aren't bad, by any means. It's just, nearly all 7 string productions sound super boring to me, all very one-dimensional tones, though I think that helps the MG in this case.

Unless a demo is done with a 6 string, it really doesn't mean anything to me, because you lose so much frequency range by only chugging on the super low strings, that the actually sound of the amp can't really be judged that well

I'm not meaning to bash you though, Ola - I really enjoy a lot of your tunes, and this video was definitely a really good effort at dispelling the notion that these amps can't sound good. While this certainly isn't a tone that I'd use for an official release, I'm sure it would be perfectly passable live.

I agree, my 7-string AND the way I picking shines through all of my videos. So to the people saying I'm getting the same sound in all my demos, yes well it's still my scratchy picking technique, my guitars etc so it's bound to sound like me playing.

And no man THANK you. I don't mind people not liking my sound, at times I hate it myself hahaha.

Last edited by Ola Englund : 10-05-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Ola Englund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #17
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

I just have a problem with the original poster claiming the video shows that the mg is not awful.

you get a usable tone out of it...but it's not nearly as good as any of your other videos.

of course it is a practice amp...which makes the mg15 alright...

but marshall sells tons of the 100watt stacks too...

that's no good.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #18
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Good god I think they made the mg even shittier, it didn't sound that bad in the vid when everything else was playing mainly because it got burried in the mix.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #19
Ola Englund

Just for the shit of it, I made a play through just now:
Old 10-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #20
Ola Englund

And it has a standard tuned 6-string in it(with drop D)

Rate This Thread: