Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
atira

Cab for the Lil' Night Train

Hi,

I pretty much don't have experience regarding guitar gears, so I'm turning to you guys.

I'm planning to buy a Vox Lil' Night Train for its full valve sound but only for home practice. I already tried the amp, sounds quite nice and it packs quite a punch in the thick mode which I really like.

I'd like to preserve that punch while still keeping the volume low enough not to disturb the neighbors.
Let's assume that the default choice is the cab designed for this lunchbox: the Vox VT110NT. Sadly, I don't have the chance to try it out personally since none of the shops have it in their store, only orders are available.

Then there's the option of buying the VT112NT... for almost double the price.

I looked around for used cabs and found these locally:
- Line6 MKII 412
- Marshall JCM900 lead 1936 2x12
- A 200W Laney 4x12 ;seller didn't specify the type, but he did include in his description that it has 4x50W Eminence GB-12 speakers and also 2 pics: 1 2

What I'm generally looking for is a thick overdriven sound, while keeping the volume low.

Any opinion, remark or advice is much appreciated.
atira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

low sensitivity speakers, and not too many of them, would be the thing

1x12 with a greenback or something like that, in other words (i haven't tried the night train, but assuming it has a vintage-ish british type of voicing, greenback or similar would probably be the thing).

not sure those vox ones are plywood. you want it to be plywood, basically. VHT (now owned by axl) does a plywood closed-back 1x12 cab for cheap- i haven't tried it, but it might be worth a look.

EDIT: actually i'm not sure if it's plywood or not- normally they say, but even vox's dearer cabs (which i assume are ply) don't say, so maybe best to email them. The night train 1x12 already has a greenback, so if it is ply, that might save you some bother. EDIT#2: oh wait it does say ply on the dearer voxes. I dunno. I'd email them before buying it, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 08-26-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
atira

Thanks for the reply.
How about other selections? I mean the used ones. Wouldn't a double speaker setting sound better, like that Marshall?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist

I have a V112NT. It's not that great. It's not plywood. The greenback speaker inside is "custom voiced for Vox" = fake. Do not buy it
terribleguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
atira

Okay then, what should I go for then?
As far as I can see, none of the single speaker cabs available now in my country has the G12M Greenback.
Engl Gigmaster E110 is also available (with G10N-40 and particleboard).
Or Fender Super Champ SC112 (with G12P-80, material not mentioned).
And ofc the used ones mentioned before.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah everything else being equal a 2x12 will sound better than a 1x12- however, it'll be a little louder (which isn't what you want). Also marshall now uses mdf/particleboard for their 2x12s- I'm not sure when they started (that one is a 900). I have a feeling the 800s were the last ply 2x12s, but i could be wrong. If it's not ply, again i'd avoid it.

that laney 4x12 looks like an older one. if they actually are gb12s they probably sound pretty good (haven't tried them yet, but they have a good rep). However, there's no eminence sticker on the back, so your guess is as good as mine whether they're legit or not. Also, you have the loudness problem again.

^^ if that's true (i've heard that about the vox speakers too, but obviously have never confirmed it) then avoid the v112NT.

^ get the vht one i mentioned and put a greenback into it yourself. that'd be the way to go. if you know there's a speaker you want and it's not available off the shelf, put it in yourself.

or there's that traynor 1x12 cab which already has a greenback in it- however, i've heard from some people (haven't tried it myself) that the 2x12 version wasn't that great of a cab (and maybe the 1x12 is the same).

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 08-26-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Traynor puts their combo amps in baltic birch, I'd be surprised if their ext cabs aren't birch as well. Then again, that doesn't necessarily make it a good cab.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah they are birch ply- but as you say, that doesn't necessarily make it a good cab.

it's a bit like tube amps... most good amps are tube but not all tube amps are good amps. Ditto with cabs... most good cabs are plywood (or solid wood) but not all ply cabs are good.

To be fair- i only heard it from one person (hardly anyone seems to have tried them). But it put me off

Quote:

Old 08-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
atira

Is VHT an acronym? I'm having a hard time finding any products.
Finding a Greenback is easy though.

edit: did you mean this?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...speaker-cabinet
$315 + speaker is way over my limit

Last edited by atira : 08-26-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
atira

Harley Benton G212 Vintage
This is what I could find and it's from plywood.

EDIT: if I bought a 2x12 cabinet only and put in only one speaker, how would it sound like? (I could buy a Peavey XXL 212 empty cabinet for about $110)

Last edited by atira : 08-26-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

oh that's the much more expensive american-made (i think) vht cabinet

I mean this one:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vht_specia...bavsp112vht.htm

the harley benton 2x12 is a killer cab for the money (I have one)- except i'm not sure v30s are what you want. They're pretty modern-sounding, and they're pretty loud. Good speakers and a good deal, just as i said, i'm not sure it's what you want.

Quote:

Old 10-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
atira

Oh, that VHT112. I want into a store and the guy there recommended this.
I actually bought a Peavey XXL 212 cab for cheaper. One of the holes is broken though at one of the speakers but it shouldn't cause a problem (I don't have a speaker to that place yet anyway).

Rate This Thread: