Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Monkeyleg
Tataglia is a pimp.

Problem fingering B7 chord

I have difficulty with playing one variation of the B7 chord, and I just can't get past it. It's the one with the first finger on G1, second finger on D2, third finger on A2, and pinkie finger on B3.

If I try to play it with my fingers coming straight down on the strings, I can't get enough spread to get the pinkie even to the center of the 3rd space. It winds up hugging the second fret, and usually sounding dead.

If I come at it from an angle, with my knuckles sloped toward the headstock, I can get the pinkie finger toward the center of the 3rd space, closer to the 3rd fret. However, if the pinkie finger isn't rested in just the right spot, the string will either sound dead, or I'll be touching the G string.

Any suggestions on what I should do, or what to exercise to make this easier?

Thanks for any replies.
Monkeyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Kid_Thorazine
Registered Sadist

I'd just find an easier fingering, you could try barring the D and A strings with your middle finger and using your ring finger for the B string, sometimes doing stuff like that is easier for me.

Last.fm
Kid_Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

It's very hard to say without seeing how your hand is positioned. About the only thing I can suggest is to make sure that your thumb is in a good position, i.e. the middle of the back of the neck. Aside from that and making sure your fingers run parallel to the frets rather than being at an angle it's a matter of practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Thorazine
I'd just find an easier fingering, you could try barring the D and A strings with your middle finger and using your ring finger for the B string, sometimes doing stuff like that is easier for me.

It's a very simple chord, I really wouldn't recommend changing it as it's something very basic. I can imagine that lacking the technique to finger a chord like that would wind up giving TS some issues down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 10-03-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Kid_Thorazine
Registered Sadist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr

It's a very simple chord, I really wouldn't recommend changing it as it's something very basic. I can imagine that lacking the technique to finger a chord like that would wind up giving TS some issues down the line.

True enough, but still, there are alternative that are less awkward to transition to, but yeah maybe do some pinky stretching exercises, getting to stretch out independently of the rest of your fingers is something you're gonna have to learn to do well.

Last.fm
Kid_Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
Monkeyleg
Tataglia is a pimp.

Duh! It's E7, not B7.

Thanks for the replies. I'll just have to keep playing the chord again and again until I get it down.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #6
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

When you play a normal E chord, try swapping your 2nd and 3rd fingers around.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Monkeyleg
Tataglia is a pimp.

mdc, when I play a standard E chord, I have my 2nd finger on the A string, 2nd fret, and the 3rd finger on the D string, second fret. If I switch fingers, it's more of a stretch to get the 4th finger on the B string.

Oddly enough, after reading the replies last night, I found it much easier to get my fingers into position quickly. Maybe posting here is the solution to awkward finger positions.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyleg
mdc, when I play a standard E chord, I have my 2nd finger on the A string, 2nd fret, and the 3rd finger on the D string, second fret.

Yeah that's the position I mean lol. A bit of confusion there, but sounds like you got it down now.

Cool, just stay relaxed, keep the hand and fingers relaxed. With unfamiliar or more awkward chords, it's easy to tense up.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: