Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
CoreyJx18

New To UG, i have a Q About; How to incorporate music theory to techniques & Practice

Hi, my name is corey i have a question about practicing, i want to get better but i have no idea how to "get better" i really don't know how to word this, but when i start reading about "how to" actually get better i just get over whelmed and don't really know what i should be doing first. i was thinking to basically learn all chords (chord progressions) in all keys i figured that would help with technique and theory.

but anyway what im asking is, what should i be doing? learning all my modes? and if so how can i get to incorporate then into "practice" im sure theirs been a thread like this before i apologize if its been asked before but i don't know where to look.

anyway, any info would help! or if theirs been another posting that explains what im asking please shoot it over here! it would help tremendously!

What I BASICALLY Want to do is add theory to my music while im practicing so can develop; skill, theory, and technique.

Last edited by CoreyJx18 : 10-04-2012 at 02:59 AM.
CoreyJx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
kimi_page

I've been playing for only 2 years, but I will tell you what better players told to me: you must know what styles you want to play and how do you want to sound. If you want to play neoclassical metal, focus on alternate, economy, sweep picking, legato, maybe some tapping, different kind of scales, learn some baroque pieces etc etc. You got the point. I'm not experienced, just telling you what I've been told
kimi_page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
theryanwhite

Hey Corey,

What kind of guitarist are you looking at becoming? There are many different routes to take based on your goals and interests, like Kimi mentioned above. Some follow similar paths (ex. basic theory, scales) but it def helps to know where you want to go.

Let me know and I"ll be glad to point you in the right direction, I've been playing for over 12 years now.

Ryan
theryanwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

The absolute first thing you should do is look for a teacher. A good teacher can be invaluable, and can put you on the path to success. If a teacher isn't a viable option for whatever reason, first learn the notes of the fretboard. Next, start looking at some of the more basic lessons and columns here on UG, as well as the lessons at www.musictheory.net and www.justinguitar.com. That should be enough to get you started and keep you busy for a while.

P.S.: Forget about modes. They are completely useless to you until you have a very, very thorough understanding of at least the major scale.

P.P.S.: FORGET ABOUT MODES!!!!!
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
The absolute first thing you should do is look for a teacher. A good teacher can be invaluable, and can put you on the path to success. If a teacher isn't a viable option for whatever reason, first learn the notes of the fretboard. Next, start looking at some of the more basic lessons and columns here on UG, as well as the lessons at www.musictheory.net and www.justinguitar.com. That should be enough to get you started and keep you busy for a while.

P.S.: Forget about modes. They are completely useless to you until you have a very, very thorough understanding of at least the major scale.

Junior, i haven't seen you in a while. But thats probably because i haven't been on a lot lately
But yea, TS, get a teacher. He/she will be a lot better at teaching you than we can.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
CoreyJx18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theryanwhite
Hey Corey,

What kind of guitarist are you looking at becoming? There are many different routes to take based on your goals and interests, like Kimi mentioned above. Some follow similar paths (ex. basic theory, scales) but it def helps to know where you want to go.

Let me know and I"ll be glad to point you in the right direction, I've been playing for over 12 years now.

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimi_page
I've been playing for only 2 years, but I will tell you what better players told to me: you must know what styles you want to play and how do you want to sound. If you want to play neoclassical metal, focus on alternate, economy, sweep picking, legato, maybe some tapping, different kind of scales, learn some baroque pieces etc etc. You got the point. I'm not experienced, just telling you what I've been told

Thanks guys for responding so fast! well, to answer "Junior" i'm not a beginner, but not advanced by any means, i wouldn't say im intermediate because i have the skill just not the "know how" i've been playing for 8 Years on and off, i really don't think i want a teacher i learn better on my own. i've only taken a couple real person lessons and didn't like it at all. i find it better to figure all this out on my own and i have tons of DVDs and Books. So Basically i'm way past basics, just don't know how to advance anymore. im learning now chord progressions and i know my major scale only in four five keys memorized but i used the W-W-H Thing to figure everything else out, i know a bit about theory and i have a good understanding how everything should work at least a good amount of basics and i know my 1,2,3,4 chords ect

Now @Ryan White @Kimi Page

Im going to answer this the best way i can..

simply put, i don't really know. and by that i mean... i've never really set "someone" to be my goal or "who i want to sound like" i've never really thought about it. don't know TOO Many guitarist but i love guys like Satriani, Vai, i really would like to play like Gilbert if anyone. i listen to MachineHead, but i listen to all types of music just about anything really, from classical to todays age. But i really love Metal, Jazz, Blues, i would really love to be as technically/music-theory good as someone like "satriani" but incorporate my own into it, thats kind of the mindset i had i guess you would say.

No ones ever asked me "who you want to sound like" and BTW I Really Love Gilberts playing lol.

To everyone i hope this all made sense, and once again much appreciated for the responses
Old 10-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
CoreyJx18

Anyone?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

If you can, I think join a band.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
CoreyJx18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
If you can, I think join a band.

Yeah, i plan too. but i would like my skill and mostly knowledge to be a little more "sharp"
Old 10-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
CoreyJx18

Guys i would like some faster feedback, i want to start practicing asap! lol
Old 10-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
CoreyJx18

Again, i just want to know what i should be learning from here and how to get music theory into my practice and what should i be practicing. when i play/practice i usually just do same scales chords ect and i keep looping the same things over and over. i would like to play more with my "mind" if that makes any sense i would like to be able to know whats going on when it happens and know where to go by figuring it out in my head.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyJx18
Yeah, i plan too. but i would like my skill and mostly knowledge to be a little more "sharp"

You'll be saying that till the cows come home, just get out there and do it. Don't worry about not knowing enough.

You'll improve faster by playing with musicians who are better than you. Be confident.

To answer the question of the thread, study harmony.

Last edited by mdc : 10-03-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
CoreyJx18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
You'll be saying that till the cows come home, just get out there and do it. Don't worry about not knowing enough.

You'll improve faster by playing with musicians who are better than you. Be confident.

To answer the question of the thread, study harmony.

Really think so?!

And "harmony", got it. will look into that now. anymore info would help aswel i plan i learning everything i can.

maybe this is a stupid question but.. what is the purpose of "harmony" and how did it help you?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Really think so?!

And "harmony", got it. will look into that now. anymore info would help aswel i plan i learning everything i can.

maybe this is a stupid question but.. what is the purpose of "harmony" and how did it help you?

Harmony is when two or more notes are played at the same time. Harmony is, in very black and white simple terms, the part in the back of the music that carries the melody. The chord progression and baseline, etc.
To study harmony basically means to learn what all the notes sound like when played together. I have not yet perfected it, and i won't for a long time, but being able to hear the notes as a whole, and break them down in your inner ear, is invaluable. You can't write a song if you can't hear how the notes work together - If you can't hear the melody over the chord progression, then you have no song in your mind.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #15
CoreyJx18

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
Harmony is when two or more notes are played at the same time. Harmony is, in very black and white simple terms, the part in the back of the music that carries the melody. The chord progression and baseline, etc.
To study harmony basically means to learn what all the notes sound like when played together. I have not yet perfected it, and i won't for a long time, but being able to hear the notes as a whole, and break them down in your inner ear, is invaluable. You can't write a song if you can't hear how the notes work together - If you can't hear the melody over the chord progression, then you have no song in your mind.

So simply put, just so i can wrap my head around this in the "technical" sense, this may not be the best terminology but, lets say we're in the key of:C and the chords are (C,Am,G) HARMONY is basically the Melody? basically whatever sounds "good" to the ear.

like just for example with those chords the lead guitarist would be playing (harmony or note wise) (C-E-G,E-A-C,G-B-D)? (not limited to just those notes, thats for example)

Hope that made sense. im still learning all the technical aspects.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #16
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Really think so?!

The same advice was given to you here (post 9). Anyone with common sense will give you good advice.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...89#post30404089
Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
steven seagull
not really a seagull

you can't really "incorporate" theory into technical practice, it's just there - what you wan't to be doing is making the effort to understand whatever it is that you're playing.

To put it in persepctive, you wouldn't look for ways to "incorporate more grammar" into your writing or speech - you're using it regardless, what matters is being able to understand what you've done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #18
theryanwhite

Hey Corey,

Sorry for the late response, if those are the guys you're looking up to. I'd start focusing on your technique and theory. Split up your practice routine in a 75/25 ratio, respectively.

Don't worry about sweeping, arpeggios, tapping, ect till you have a nice foundation of alternate picking and legato. Learning basic theory will help you greatly as you progress.

I have always found the following resources to be indispensable for new guitarists:

Music Theory Hal Leonard Guitar Method (applies theory to guitar, rather than traditional methods)
MI's Guitar Technique and Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar (both are great, you only need 1 to start, see which one sounds better for you)

Good luck, let me know if I can be of any other help
theryanwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: