Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

Question Amp Ideas?

Looking for a new amp, I know I need to go to my local music store and try some out, but honestly, there's not much product there. Alll I have now is a Fender Mustang II modeling amp, and for the price, its pretty good, but I just want something... "real" ? If that makes sense... anywho, I have been doing some research and there are quite a few different makes and models I am looking at, but maybe you guys can help.

Budget: $1000 (maybe like $1500, but $1000 is more of a goal)

Music style: Mostly crunch for rhythm, but want the ability to play clean leads- Avenged Sevenflod, As I Lay Dying, Slipknot, Killswitch Engage, etc. (it would be ideal to be able to get the sound of all of these bands, but I'm not sure if that's possible)

Amp style: preferably tube (unless someone has a good reason otherwise), and either a combo, or a head with a good suggestion for a cab.

So yeah, just looking for an upgrade. And since there is not many options for me to acutally test any amps out, I figured I would ask you guys.

FenderBender72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

just read the "things we need to know" post and decided to add a couple things.

My current guitar is a Schecter omen extreme 6 (passives)

For now, I will be playing at home, but eventually want to gig with it.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.

Welp I know that Killswitch Engage uses 5150s and Slipknot use Rivera Knuckleheads. Don't quote me but I think A7x has used different amps on each record. Looks to me that you are looking for something high gain of course. I don't know much about high gain amps, but I would check out a 5150/6505 if I were you
RealGuitarHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
TheWarpRider
Banned

6505+, cleans aren't great but maybe just get a chorus pedal to make them a bit nicer.
TheWarpRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGuitarHero
Welp I know that Killswitch Engage uses 5150s and Slipknot use Rivera Knuckleheads. Don't quote me but I think A7x has used different amps on each record. Looks to me that you are looking for something high gain of course. I don't know much about high gain amps, but I would check out a 5150/6505 if I were you

And those are the two (5150/6505) that I was looking at. The 6505+ has (from what I have researched), and EQ for the clean which would be nice. BUT, I havent really found any other brands that are close to these (just looking for different options). Also, what is the advantage/disadvantage for one of these in a combo vs. having a head and a cab?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
TheWarpRider
Banned

Well the main advantage of a combo is usually that it's cheaper and well, you have the amp and speakers in one box. However, a large combo like a 2x12 6505+ combo is very very heavy and a head + 2x12 while probably being a bit bigger will be easier to move because you don't have to carry both of them in one box.

Also, with a head and cab you can always sell one component and replace it with another. Maybe you don't like the speakers in the cab you bought so you can sell it and get another cab with different speakers. (Instead of just replacing speakers).

Last edited by TheWarpRider : 10-04-2012 at 11:22 AM.
TheWarpRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
The Neighbor of the Beast

If buying new, I'd hold off for the Thanksgiving Black Friday sales next month.
I'm an Egnater fanboy. I bought my Armageddon from GC on a price match for $1350. I negotiated no taxes as well because the price they were matching was out the door with no taxes from an on-line merchant.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

The Generic 6505 input works well here. It will get the brootz for you. Though, If you can find a used Oranger Rockverb in your price range I would grab it up. Its what Jim in Slipknot uses. Plus it can do so much more than metal.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGuitarHero

All of those bands used a bunch of other stuff too and often mixed together on recordings.

KSE has used 5150s, Framus Cobra, Splawn Nitro, Diezels and clean amps
Slipkknot used Orange Rockerverbs in addition
A7X used Bogners in addition

TS - I'd look for a used JSX. New? I think you're going to struggle a bit. Look at a Peavey Vypyr 120 too.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Great suggestion on the JSX, plus you can easily easily easily find one below your budget
Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarpRider
Well the main advantage of a combo is usually that it's cheaper and well, you have the amp and speakers in one box. However, a large combo like a 2x12 6505+ combo is very very heavy and a head + 2x12 while probably being a bit bigger will be easier to move because you don't have to carry both of them in one box.

Also, with a head and cab you can always sell one component and replace it with another. Maybe you don't like the speakers in the cab you bought so you can sell it and get another cab with different speakers. (Instead of just replacing speakers).

Yeah I think I'm leaning more towards buying a head and a cab. I wish there were more descriptions on guitar center's website for their used gear... theres a few 6505+ used heads on their website, but their prices are varied (I wish I could try them out). Same with some 4x12 6505 cabs.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Craigslist is a much better place to snag a used deal. GC will get maximum dollar most the time.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I already checked his craigslist (Montana). Nothing.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I already checked his craigslist (Montana). Nothing.

Yeah, you're telling me

Well the suggestion earlier of a peavey vypyr 120 has sparked my curiosity. And comments guys?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-...107-i1445922.gc

How's this price sound? I don't want to cheap out, but from some reviews, it could be good. I wish I could try some of these.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
All of those bands used a bunch of other stuff too and often mixed together on recordings.

KSE has used 5150s, Framus Cobra, Splawn Nitro, Diezels and clean amps
Slipkknot used Orange Rockerverbs in addition
A7X used Bogners in addition

TS - I'd look for a used JSX. New? I think you're going to struggle a bit. Look at a Peavey Vypyr 120 too.

I would prefer new, but I am not going to pass up a good deal on a used... http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/...peavey+jsx+head
so many price differences... I wish there were more descriptions.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
AeolianSeventh
Sperm Whale Messiah

(Be advised--I say this any time somebody who likes hard rock or metal looks for a new amp)

Have you considered a Jet City JCA50H? It's basically like a crunchier 5150/6505, although since it's based on the design the 5150/6505 copied (the Soldano SLO), it would be fairer to say the Peavey is like a more saturated Jet City.

The gain is tighter and more controlled. The cleans are kind of dirty, but pretty good sounding. The whole amp is like if you took the concept of "crunch" and jammed it in a box.

Its two big weaknesses are the stock tubes (they're noisy, harsh and fizzy, I didn't realize how nice mine was until I replaced all the tubes) and a slight lack of low end (which can be fixed by the trivially-easy Depth Mod or, in my case, by replacing the power tubes with KT66s).

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
AeolianSeventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #17
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianSeventh
(Be advised--I say this any time somebody who likes hard rock or metal looks for a new amp)

Have you considered a Jet City JCA50H? It's basically like a crunchier 5150/6505, although since it's based on the design the 5150/6505 copied (the Soldano SLO), it would be fairer to say the Peavey is like a more saturated Jet City.

The gain is tighter and more controlled. The cleans are kind of dirty, but pretty good sounding. The whole amp is like if you took the concept of "crunch" and jammed it in a box.

Its two big weaknesses are the stock tubes (they're noisy, harsh and fizzy, I didn't realize how nice mine was until I replaced all the tubes) and a slight lack of low end (which can be fixed by the trivially-easy Depth Mod or, in my case, by replacing the power tubes with KT66s).

I have no idea what you just said. No, I understand what you are SAYING, I just have no idea what you are talking about. I dont know much about different types of tubes, but as far as the amp, if I am going to need to replace the stock tubes right away and do some type of mod to it for a better low end, I must say I would like a different amp. I'll check into them though. Thanks

Old 10-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
The Neighbor of the Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender72
if I am going to need to replace the stock tubes right away and do some type of mod to it for a better low end, I must say I would like a different amp.

+1
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

What kind of cab would be good with the Peavey Vypyr 120? If I buy the head new from GC, I could also buy a cab from them, or here is one in another city http://helena.craigslist.org/msg/3309679543.html
I don't know much about cabs, how are these sheffield speakers? and is $235 a good price?

Old 10-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #20
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Have you tried ebay? I mean, it IS ebay. But then again, it is ebay.

Edit: I havent heard a lot of good things on Peavey cabs. But then again Ive never played one.

Rate This Thread: