Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
admi62
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
preamp tubes

hello,
i am putting new preamp tubes in my MP1 preamp. after installing, should i wait awhile before raging, or jump right in? they are ruby 12ax7a (which i understand are rebranded )
thanks much
admi62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
 
Kevin Saale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In a desert, next to a chair
Uhh, just start raging. Tubes are usually 'burned in' in the factory, so you don't really need to do that at home. Then again with rubies you don't know what you have so
__________________
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Rage!

(Seriously.)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
theryanwhite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
As mentioned, they are tested at the factory so they've already been hot.

Just make sure you let them warm up properly before turning on the standby switch, your tubes will thank you...and they'll last longer!

Rage on!
theryanwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
 
Kevin Saale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In a desert, next to a chair
Quote:
Originally Posted by theryanwhite
As mentioned, they are tested at the factory so they've already been hot.

Just make sure you let them warm up properly before turning on the standby switch, your tubes will thank you...and they'll last longer!

Rage on!


Not to nitpick, but that isn't really what the standby switch is for. Just sayin.
__________________
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
theryanwhite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Not to nitpick, but that isn't really what the standby switch is for. Just sayin.


Sorry Kevin, but you are wrong.

Since you seem to doubt my knowledge, please take a look at what Fender has to say about the standby switch. Last time I checked, they knew a thing or two about amplifiers.

http://www.fender.com/news/index.ph...lay_article=461

Please do some research before spouting off incorrect information.
theryanwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
 
Kevin Saale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In a desert, next to a chair
Quote:
Originally Posted by theryanwhite
Sorry Kevin, but you are wrong.

Since you seem to doubt my knowledge, please take a look at what Fender has to say about the standby switch. Last time I checked, they knew a thing or two about amplifiers.

http://www.fender.com/news/index.ph...lay_article=461

Please do some research before spouting off incorrect information.


Thats true, for high power amps, not for smaller amps. If it was true, how can tubes in something like a blues jr or a pro jr survive, since those amps have no standby switches? I've owned 3 tubes amps 2 of which hand standby switches and I never used the switches. Believe it or not, those amps never broke.

Standby can in fact damage a tube, from an effect known as 'cathode poisoning', if you leave an amp in standby for too long.
__________________
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by theryanwhite
Sorry Kevin, but you are wrong.

Since you seem to doubt my knowledge, please take a look at what Fender has to say about the standby switch. Last time I checked, they knew a thing or two about amplifiers.

http://www.fender.com/news/index.ph...lay_article=461

Please do some research before spouting off incorrect information.



They forgot some important shit in there. Plus warm up time is off. Horrible article.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Thats true, for high power amps, not for smaller amps. If it was true, how can tubes in something like a blues jr or a pro jr survive, since those amps have no standby switches? I've owned 3 tubes amps 2 of which hand standby switches and I never used the switches. Believe it or not, those amps never broke.

Standby can in fact damage a tube, from an effect known as 'cathode poisoning', if you leave an amp in standby for too long.


x10
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
 
Kevin Saale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In a desert, next to a chair
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
They forgot some important shit in there. Plus warm up time is off. Horrible article.


O wow, just read it all the way through, that is...bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
x10


__________________
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by theryanwhite
Sorry Kevin, but you are wrong.

Since you seem to doubt my knowledge, please take a look at what Fender has to say about the standby switch. Last time I checked, they knew a thing or two about amplifiers.

http://www.fender.com/news/index.ph...lay_article=461

Please do some research before spouting off incorrect information.


Here is a much more complete article.

http://www.peavey.com/support/techn...y/chapter_6.pdf

Read and learn.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
 
Kevin Saale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In a desert, next to a chair
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Here is a much more complete article.

http://www.peavey.com/support/techn...y/chapter_6.pdf

Read and learn.


Good article. I imagine pretty much any amp with a solid state rectifier would have inrush current limiters. I'm sure an SS rectifier circuit would reach max voltage as quickly or quicker than a directly heated rectifier tube and would be prone to killing tubes.
__________________
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Good article. I imagine pretty much any amp with a solid state rectifier would have inrush current limiters. I'm sure an SS rectifier circuit would reach max voltage as quickly or quicker than a directly heated rectifier tube and would be prone to killing tubes.



The bad thing is the first link that pops up when you google "standby switch function" is that crappy fender article. Very misleading. Seems like it was written by a cheerleader or someone ******ed. Please poison your tubes....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
 
Kevin Saale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In a desert, next to a chair
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
The bad thing is the first link that pops up when you google "standby switch function" is that crappy fender article. Very misleading. Seems like it was written by a cheerleader or someone ******ed. Please poison your tubes....


Bad, but not surprising. The article is downright silly when you put amps like the blues jr or the pro jr in its light. Just doesn't make sense. And for the record, those are both diode rectified amps
__________________
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
Big Bang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
12ax7.

EDIT: I may or may not have actually read anything in this thread before replying...
Big Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #16
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
 
Kevin Saale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In a desert, next to a chair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bang
12ax7.

EDIT: I may or may not have actually read anything in this thread before replying...


I honestly love this reply. Its dumb and obvious, in a clearly jokingly way. Congrats to you. You win .04 internets. A fine prize for 16 words and only one that matters.
__________________
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #17
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Bad, but not surprising. The article is downright silly when you put amps like the blues jr or the pro jr in its light. Just doesn't make sense. And for the record, those are both diode rectified amps






Good one BigBang.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #18
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
 
AcousticMirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by theryanwhite
Sorry Kevin, but you are wrong.

Since you seem to doubt my knowledge, please take a look at what Fender has to say about the standby switch. Last time I checked, they knew a thing or two about amplifiers.

http://www.fender.com/news/index.ph...lay_article=461

Please do some research before spouting off incorrect information.


you are wrong. and dumb.

please do some research before copy and pasting links to incorrect information.
__________________
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
AcousticMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #19
Big Bang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
I honestly love this reply. Its dumb and obvious, in a clearly jokingly way. Congrats to you. You win .04 internets. A fine prize for 16 words and only one that matters.



I don't always drunk post, but when I do, it's on Ultimate-Guitar. (Now off to spread around some wisdom on the drum sub-forum. Did you guys know that's actually a real thing here?)
Big Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #20
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
 
Kevin Saale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In a desert, next to a chair
It used to be a huge joke, but yes, I think we know its real.
__________________
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:32 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.