Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-05-2012, 04:18 AM   #21
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow
 
darkwolf291's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ
His picking technique helps it a lot.
I've noticed you have a really heavy handed, hard hitting palm mute.
It seems to be where most of the balls in your chugs come from.

I thought it was decent for what it is.

I'm just not a fan of most of your tones.
They're not my cup of tea, but they're great for what they are.

Your production is ridiculously good though.
__________________
My Name is Frank

Pedalboard Thread Native: The Thrashaholic


Buy my Thrash Album for whatever price you want!]


Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
It's modelling valve power amp output valves wearing out.



GG&A WTLT List

Last edited by darkwolf291 : 10-05-2012 at 04:21 AM.
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #22
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Englund
No gates or compressions used.

And is double tracking not allowed now? You can hear the parts where there is a single guitar playing and then two guitars playing. Doesn't that show how the amp sounds? Geezus I just love how people are experts... If you don't like the video don't watch it...


ah ok, no worries

I wouldn't say double-tracking isn't allowed, obviously loads of people do it. But if you're trying to hear what the amp sounds like, it's going to sound thicker (presumably? I'm definitely no expert on recording, never claimed to be ) than a single track.

I still stand by what i said, though- can a good player like you make an MG sound kind-of-alright? Sure. Does that mean I recommend that people buy them? No.

Thanks for posting, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
you get a usable tone out of it...but it's not nearly as good as any of your other videos.


that too
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.



Last edited by Dave_Mc : 10-05-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #23
gumbilicious
beginner
 
gumbilicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: on the road... again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
ah ok, no worries

I wouldn't say double-tracking isn't allowed, obviously loads of people do it. But if you're trying to hear what the amp sounds like, it's going to sound thicker (presumably? I'm definitely no expert on recording, never claimed to be ) than a single track.


i can also see a backwards argument being made:

how often do you hear a guitar in music outside of the context of the mix? i actually am kinda irked that most 'gear demos' are completely isolated from any musical mix. i care very little for how a guitar/amp sounds all by itself, i want to hear it in the context of a mix.

you know when you see a beginner tweaking a tone they like and it is all by itself (i sure do remember it). then i took that tone that i liked and played with other people... and it was crap. it wasn't til i really started listening to music i recorded with my band that my guitar tone actually got better.

so basically a reverse argument for stating 'how do you know what a guitar will sound like with music until you produce some music with it' and double tracking is a valid production technique. i would want to hear how an amp double tracks before buying it if i had that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I still stand by what i said, though- can a good player like you make an MG sound kind-of-alright? Sure. Does that mean I recommend that people buy them? No.


i don't even think the MG sounds 'good', i think he used it very well in the context of the mix though.

when i had my valvestate it just got completely lost in a mix, i had the small one with the 8" speaker too and it sounded pretty similar to that MG demo (except my SS marshall had TWO gain knobs, badass)
__________________
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 10-05-2012 at 03:16 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
(a) i can also see a backwards argument being made:

how often do you hear a guitar in music outside of the context of the mix? i actually am kinda irked that most 'gear demos' are completely isolated from any musical mix. i care very little for how a guitar/amp sounds all by itself, i want to hear it in the context of a mix.

you know when you see a beginner tweaking a tone they like and it is all by itself (i sure do remember it). then i took that tone that i liked and played with other people... and it was crap. it wasn't til i really started listening to music i recorded with my band that my guitar tone actually got better.

so basically a reverse argument for stating 'how do you know what a guitar will sound like with music until you produce some music with it' and double tracking is a valid production technique. i would want to hear how an amp double tracks before buying it if i had that option.



(b) i don't even think the MG sounds 'good', i think he used it very well in the context of the mix though.

when i had my valvestate it just got completely lost in a mix, i had the small one with the 8" speaker too and it sounded pretty similar to that MG demo (except my SS marshall had TWO gain knobs, badass)


(a) that's a very good point

(b) Agreed

also lol at the valvestate thing
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar/bass95
The MG stereotype is that you cannot get them to sound good, and that almost any amp is better than one.

No its not. The argument is that you can get much better for less. /pointlessthread

(Also that sounds pretty bad.)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 10-05-2012 at 03:52 PM.
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
No its not. The argument is that you can get much better for the less. /pointlessthread


agreed. as colin said, lots of straw man arguments going round.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #27
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
 
dementiacaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Raleigh/Durham, NC
Cool. I really dig that video, it shows exactly what you can do with an MG, and all it's limitations. Nice job Ola, I always like videos like this where you work with a cheapie piece and make it decent. Still sounded like an MG but it was a badass MG
__________________
Right back at it again.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #28
Ola Englund
Registered User
 
Ola Englund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Thanks guys,

That's also why I try to incorporate those short bits where you can hear the one track by itself in the center and then panned, then back to the song. just trying to please everyone but it's hard as ****
__________________
My Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/fearedse
Guitar noob blog http://www.olaenglund.com
Ola Englund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #29
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
What you showed was in the context of a mix you can get away with a lot - but when everything else stops you'll sound like crap. If that was what you were intending to demonstrate then
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:04 AM   #30
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Englund
Thanks guys,

That's also why I try to incorporate those short bits where you can hear the one track by itself in the center and then panned, then back to the song. just trying to please everyone but it's hard as ****


first off, you are a master as far as the videos you make, from the production aspect as well as the tone on the amps you make video of.

i agree with a few people who said most of your videos sound similar, even this to others, i think that part of it comes with your playing style which is consistent in all of your videos.

also i agree with MC when he said that the 7 string you always play makes the clips a lot more is hard to relate with when you are a guitarist who plays mostly in standard 99% of the time and C#std the remainder.

six stringers in E sound quite different then sevens or baritones in Bstd or drop A or lower, so it makes the tone hard to relate with me.

however when not in the mix when they are played alone straight up they sound terrible, your mix is what makes them sound a lot different.

i also have to agree (with whom i forgot) that just because your clip sounds excellent i would recommend to a guitarist. mostly because they can get better bang for their buck. for instance the vypyr. i think they are close in price and there is no competition.

the worst thing that happens is when somebody buys a MG head and a 4x12"

i also wouldn't use your video to recommend as an example of an amp to a beginner because the mix is very well and hides some of the shittier aspects of the amp. and they would hear something completely different on their couch plugged into one.

in conclusion i agree with somebody else, that you maxxed out what is possible by an MG. and not how it sounds in any other situation.

please take no insult, its just my opinion, and i watch and enjoy a lot of your videos, and i certainly agree with your statement that you can't make everybody happy. that never is the case in guitars or much more life.
__________________
WTLT 2014 GG&A

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #31
Ola Englund
Registered User
 
Ola Englund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I agree to everything you say brother...
__________________
My Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/fearedse
Guitar noob blog http://www.olaenglund.com
Ola Englund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #32
mespinos
Hamer time
 
mespinos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
I honestly think the mg 6 string raw clip sounded awesome. Only listened to it through my truck radio and not monitors, but I can't make my old mg30 sound anything like that.
__________________
/rig
mespinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #33
Ola Englund
Registered User
 
Ola Englund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I decided to make a contest out of this amp, so just by liking the post on Facebook you have a chance to win it.

http://www.facebook.com/fearedse
__________________
My Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/fearedse
Guitar noob blog http://www.olaenglund.com
Ola Englund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #34
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
 
Eppicurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
What I like is that you've started doing the whole "Guitar by itself - Guitar double tracked by itself" then jump back into the mix. Gives the viewer a good insight into the potential in a studio/band environment as well as general practice and home use.

Your next challenge is the Line 6 Spider.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #35
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow
 
darkwolf291's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ
Not even Ola could make THAT sound good.
__________________
My Name is Frank

Pedalboard Thread Native: The Thrashaholic


Buy my Thrash Album for whatever price you want!]


Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
It's modelling valve power amp output valves wearing out.



GG&A WTLT List
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #36
MatrixClaw
UG God
 
MatrixClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Climbin In Yo Window, Snatchin Yo People Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Englund
Just for the shit of it, I made a play through just now:

Man, I definitely have a new respect for you, Ola!

Appreciate you doing a video with a 6 (hopefully not just on my account, but either way, great to see you making a video based on what people want to hear!).

Honestly, I like the 6 string tone out of the MG much better. The tone isn't as boxy and weird sounding in the mids, though it's definitely very fizzy. I assume the fuller sound I'm hearing is probably due to the fact that the little 8" speaker in that thing can't recreate the lower tone of the 7 string very well, and has an easier time with the 6. Honestly - With some processing, I think the 6 string tone COULD work fairly well in a serious release. It's actually a better tone than I've heard out of half the Diezel/Framus/Mesa/whatever demos on YouTube
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.





www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #37
Ola Englund
Registered User
 
Ola Englund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Man, I definitely have a new respect for you, Ola!

Appreciate you doing a video with a 6 (hopefully not just on my account, but either way, great to see you making a video based on what people want to hear!).

Honestly, I like the 6 string tone out of the MG much better. The tone isn't as boxy and weird sounding in the mids, though it's definitely very fizzy. I assume the fuller sound I'm hearing is probably due to the fact that the little 8" speaker in that thing can't recreate the lower tone of the 7 string very well, and has an easier time with the 6. Honestly - With some processing, I think the 6 string tone COULD work fairly well in a serious release. It's actually a better tone than I've heard out of half the Diezel/Framus/Mesa/whatever demos on YouTube



Well just a bit because of your post

Well it makes sense to show it in standard tuning. I just keep forgetting that all the time cause 80% of my guitars are lower tuned.
__________________
My Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/fearedse
Guitar noob blog http://www.olaenglund.com
Ola Englund is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.