Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 04:18 AM   #21
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

His picking technique helps it a lot.
I've noticed you have a really heavy handed, hard hitting palm mute.
It seems to be where most of the balls in your chugs come from.

I thought it was decent for what it is.

I'm just not a fan of most of your tones.
They're not my cup of tea, but they're great for what they are.

Your production is ridiculously good though.

Pedalboard Thread Native: The Thrashaholic

Buy my Thrash Album for whatever price you want!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
It's modelling valve power amp output valves wearing out.

GG&A WTLT List

Last edited by darkwolf291 : 10-05-2012 at 04:21 AM.
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #22
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Englund
No gates or compressions used.

And is double tracking not allowed now? You can hear the parts where there is a single guitar playing and then two guitars playing. Doesn't that show how the amp sounds? Geezus I just love how people are experts... If you don't like the video don't watch it...

ah ok, no worries

I wouldn't say double-tracking isn't allowed, obviously loads of people do it. But if you're trying to hear what the amp sounds like, it's going to sound thicker (presumably? I'm definitely no expert on recording, never claimed to be ) than a single track.

I still stand by what i said, though- can a good player like you make an MG sound kind-of-alright? Sure. Does that mean I recommend that people buy them? No.

Thanks for posting, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
you get a usable tone out of it...but it's not nearly as good as any of your other videos.

that too

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 10-05-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #23
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
ah ok, no worries

I wouldn't say double-tracking isn't allowed, obviously loads of people do it. But if you're trying to hear what the amp sounds like, it's going to sound thicker (presumably? I'm definitely no expert on recording, never claimed to be ) than a single track.

i can also see a backwards argument being made:

how often do you hear a guitar in music outside of the context of the mix? i actually am kinda irked that most 'gear demos' are completely isolated from any musical mix. i care very little for how a guitar/amp sounds all by itself, i want to hear it in the context of a mix.

you know when you see a beginner tweaking a tone they like and it is all by itself (i sure do remember it). then i took that tone that i liked and played with other people... and it was crap. it wasn't til i really started listening to music i recorded with my band that my guitar tone actually got better.

so basically a reverse argument for stating 'how do you know what a guitar will sound like with music until you produce some music with it' and double tracking is a valid production technique. i would want to hear how an amp double tracks before buying it if i had that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I still stand by what i said, though- can a good player like you make an MG sound kind-of-alright? Sure. Does that mean I recommend that people buy them? No.

i don't even think the MG sounds 'good', i think he used it very well in the context of the mix though.

when i had my valvestate it just got completely lost in a mix, i had the small one with the 8" speaker too and it sounded pretty similar to that MG demo (except my SS marshall had TWO gain knobs, badass)

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 10-05-2012 at 03:16 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
(a) i can also see a backwards argument being made:

how often do you hear a guitar in music outside of the context of the mix? i actually am kinda irked that most 'gear demos' are completely isolated from any musical mix. i care very little for how a guitar/amp sounds all by itself, i want to hear it in the context of a mix.

you know when you see a beginner tweaking a tone they like and it is all by itself (i sure do remember it). then i took that tone that i liked and played with other people... and it was crap. it wasn't til i really started listening to music i recorded with my band that my guitar tone actually got better.

so basically a reverse argument for stating 'how do you know what a guitar will sound like with music until you produce some music with it' and double tracking is a valid production technique. i would want to hear how an amp double tracks before buying it if i had that option.

(b) i don't even think the MG sounds 'good', i think he used it very well in the context of the mix though.

when i had my valvestate it just got completely lost in a mix, i had the small one with the 8" speaker too and it sounded pretty similar to that MG demo (except my SS marshall had TWO gain knobs, badass)

(a) that's a very good point

(b) Agreed

also lol at the valvestate thing

Old 10-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar/bass95
The MG stereotype is that you cannot get them to sound good, and that almost any amp is better than one.

No its not. The argument is that you can get much better for less. /pointlessthread

(Also that sounds pretty bad.)
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 10-05-2012 at 03:52 PM.
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
No its not. The argument is that you can get much better for the less. /pointlessthread

agreed. as colin said, lots of straw man arguments going round.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #27
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Cool. I really dig that video, it shows exactly what you can do with an MG, and all it's limitations. Nice job Ola, I always like videos like this where you work with a cheapie piece and make it decent. Still sounded like an MG but it was a badass MG

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #28
Ola Englund

Thanks guys,

That's also why I try to incorporate those short bits where you can hear the one track by itself in the center and then panned, then back to the song. just trying to please everyone but it's hard as ****
Old 10-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #29
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

What you showed was in the context of a mix you can get away with a lot - but when everything else stops you'll sound like crap. If that was what you were intending to demonstrate then
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:04 AM   #30
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Thanks guys,

That's also why I try to incorporate those short bits where you can hear the one track by itself in the center and then panned, then back to the song. just trying to please everyone but it's hard as ****

first off, you are a master as far as the videos you make, from the production aspect as well as the tone on the amps you make video of.

i agree with a few people who said most of your videos sound similar, even this to others, i think that part of it comes with your playing style which is consistent in all of your videos.

also i agree with MC when he said that the 7 string you always play makes the clips a lot more is hard to relate with when you are a guitarist who plays mostly in standard 99% of the time and C#std the remainder.

six stringers in E sound quite different then sevens or baritones in Bstd or drop A or lower, so it makes the tone hard to relate with me.

however when not in the mix when they are played alone straight up they sound terrible, your mix is what makes them sound a lot different.

i also have to agree (with whom i forgot) that just because your clip sounds excellent i would recommend to a guitarist. mostly because they can get better bang for their buck. for instance the vypyr. i think they are close in price and there is no competition.

the worst thing that happens is when somebody buys a MG head and a 4x12"

i also wouldn't use your video to recommend as an example of an amp to a beginner because the mix is very well and hides some of the shittier aspects of the amp. and they would hear something completely different on their couch plugged into one.

in conclusion i agree with somebody else, that you maxxed out what is possible by an MG. and not how it sounds in any other situation.

please take no insult, its just my opinion, and i watch and enjoy a lot of your videos, and i certainly agree with your statement that you can't make everybody happy. that never is the case in guitars or much more life.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #31
Ola Englund

I agree to everything you say brother...
Old 10-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #32
mespinos
Hamer time

I honestly think the mg 6 string raw clip sounded awesome. Only listened to it through my truck radio and not monitors, but I can't make my old mg30 sound anything like that.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #33
Ola Englund

I decided to make a contest out of this amp, so just by liking the post on Facebook you have a chance to win it.

http://www.facebook.com/fearedse
Old 10-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #34
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

What I like is that you've started doing the whole "Guitar by itself - Guitar double tracked by itself" then jump back into the mix. Gives the viewer a good insight into the potential in a studio/band environment as well as general practice and home use.

Your next challenge is the Line 6 Spider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #35
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Not even Ola could make THAT sound good.

Pedalboard Thread Native: The Thrashaholic

Buy my Thrash Album for whatever price you want!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
It's modelling valve power amp output valves wearing out.

GG&A WTLT List
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #36
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Just for the shit of it, I made a play through just now:

Man, I definitely have a new respect for you, Ola!

Appreciate you doing a video with a 6 (hopefully not just on my account, but either way, great to see you making a video based on what people want to hear!).

Honestly, I like the 6 string tone out of the MG much better. The tone isn't as boxy and weird sounding in the mids, though it's definitely very fizzy. I assume the fuller sound I'm hearing is probably due to the fact that the little 8" speaker in that thing can't recreate the lower tone of the 7 string very well, and has an easier time with the 6. Honestly - With some processing, I think the 6 string tone COULD work fairly well in a serious release. It's actually a better tone than I've heard out of half the Diezel/Framus/Mesa/whatever demos on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #37
Ola Englund

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Man, I definitely have a new respect for you, Ola!

Appreciate you doing a video with a 6 (hopefully not just on my account, but either way, great to see you making a video based on what people want to hear!).

Honestly, I like the 6 string tone out of the MG much better. The tone isn't as boxy and weird sounding in the mids, though it's definitely very fizzy. I assume the fuller sound I'm hearing is probably due to the fact that the little 8" speaker in that thing can't recreate the lower tone of the 7 string very well, and has an easier time with the 6. Honestly - With some processing, I think the 6 string tone COULD work fairly well in a serious release. It's actually a better tone than I've heard out of half the Diezel/Framus/Mesa/whatever demos on YouTube

Well just a bit because of your post

Well it makes sense to show it in standard tuning. I just keep forgetting that all the time cause 80% of my guitars are lower tuned.

Rate This Thread: