Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #41
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Manufacturers suggest that you match the impedance and use a cab with an equal or greater wattage rating. That's all you need to know.

This debate is about what you can get away with... But why bother? If you follow the above you'll never have an issue.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #42
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

Oh snap . Sh*ts about to get real.

FenderBender72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #43
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
Dude, don't be confused. On a tube amp, match the impedance. period. It is generally a good idea to get a cab that is at bare minimum rated for the wattage of your amp, and many folks would suggest a cab rated over the output of the amp, but that is getting into another debate about different speakers being rated more conservatively than others.

This thread kinda turned silly, but that is what happens when you have a person arguing for the sake of arguing, who isn't even particularly good at presenting their argument.

Ok this is good info. I will be buying a tube amp head, so I need to match the impedence (ohms) of the amp with a cab (Or can the impedence of one be greater than the other, if so, which one?). When buying a cab, the cab's wattage should be rated (total) more than the wattage of the amp just to be safe.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #44
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Technically its safe to have the cab impedance one step higher than the amps impedance (IE 4 ohm amp 8 ohm cab or 8 ohm amp 16 ohm cab) but I'd never suggest doing that. If you're buying all this stuff new theres no reason not to match.

You never, with any amp, want the cab ohms to be less than the amp ohms. A short explanation is that this increases current flow and will mess shit up. Imagine standing in a dammed river that is flowing steadily, but not so fast you can't stand. Now imagine the dam breaking, thats a rough analogy to what happens when the impedance on the amp isn't large enough.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #45
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender72
Ok this is good info. I will be buying a tube amp head, so I need to match the impedence (ohms) of the amp with a cab (Or can the impedence of one be greater than the other, if so, which one?). When buying a cab, the cab's wattage should be rated (total) more than the wattage of the amp just to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seljer
The cabinet's wattage rating should be higher than the amps output wattage and the impedance should match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
On a tube amp, match the impedance. period. It is generally a good idea to get a cab that is at bare minimum rated for the wattage of your amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
Manufacturers suggest that you match the impedance and use a cab with an equal or greater wattage rating.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #46
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911

Ok just clearing up some stuff. electronics isnt my thing

Old 10-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #47
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender72
Ok just clearing up some stuff. electronics isnt my thing

No problem, that's why I said read the first line of post #2 and ignore the rest (including mine!), because that was really all you needed to know.

All too often folks come here to ask what time it is and we spend multiple posts telling them how to build a clock...

Old 10-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #48
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

Quote:
No problem, that's why I said read the first line of post #2 and ignore the rest (including mine!), because that was really all you needed to know.

All too often folks come here to ask what time it is and we spend multiple posts telling them how to build a clock...

Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #49
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
if you have a tube amp match your ohms.

if you have a solid state amp get a new amp.

easy peasy.

Quote:

hahaha good analogy

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: