Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
zilant

Good 212 for metal?

I think I'm going to be getting a 5150 iii mini 50 watt head withing the next few paychecks.

I don't have a cab for it but I would like to purchase one. I think I'm leaning towards a 212 for th ease of transportation. I also am assuming it may be cheaper.
I'll be mostly playing metal out of it but I would like something with a bit of versatility.
I'd like to spend less than $400 but I'm willing to spend a little more if it means getting something that works increadibly well.

So does anyone have recommendations for what I should get?
Is there any other information that I should give that would allow you guys to point me in the right direction?
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Any old 2x12 will do with the right speakers. an Orange closed-back 2x12 MIGHT be found for that price, probably a little more.

Avatar make some nice cabs. any of them with a Celestion Vintage 30 and a Celestion G12-th75 or whatever it's called (I can't remember) is pretty much the basic metal speaker configuration.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
zilant

Hmm, so Orange and Avatar.

Another thing I might mention, I'm in the U.S. If that matters for price or availability.
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
Big Bang

I love 2x12 cabs! It's a hell of a lot easier to fit two 2x12s in my car compared to one 4x12. Unfortunately, it seems a lot of them really aren't much cheaper than 4x12s. This is probably due to the lower demand/production volumes for 2x12. I totally second the Avatar suggestion. It would be worth checking out Carvin, too. If you're lucky, you might be able to score a reasonably priced used Marshall 1936 on ebay.
Big Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

orange makes builds better and higher quality cabinets than avatar IMO, i own two orange cabs, both 212OB, and a Avatar 4x12" with two V30's and two EVH sig speakers.

whitebox is another company that does custom cabs and are very comparable to avatar, but have had no experience with them, a lot of people on here seem to though.

orange and mesa are the best cabs until you get up the the more boutique lines

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
Ultima117

I have an avatar 212 w/v30's and I love it! It's cool u can customize them too (:
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
ESP LTD MH-1000 Deluxe in GREEN!!
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Ultima117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #7
Sputnik1
He's A Thread Killer

You can't get the matching cab?
Sputnik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Carvin G212 - $250.00. Or the Carvin Vai III 212 - $500.00. Both are quite good.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/G212

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:08 AM   #9
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilant
I think I'm going to be getting a 5150 iii mini 50 watt head withing the next few paychecks.

I don't have a cab for it but I would like to purchase one. I think I'm leaning towards a 212 for th ease of transportation. I also am assuming it may be cheaper.
I'll be mostly playing metal out of it but I would like something with a bit of versatility.
I'd like to spend less than $400 but I'm willing to spend a little more if it means getting something that works increadibly well.

So does anyone have recommendations for what I should get?
Is there any other information that I should give that would allow you guys to point me in the right direction?

For $100 more, you could snag a Used PPC212 (with V30s) from GC and there are 5 for $500. Replace 1 speaker with a G12T75 (very cheap) for the Metal tone.

If you're considering a 412, get a Bogner Uberkab - V30s X T75s. It loves most high gain amps like Diezels, Bogners, ENGLs, Mesas, etc.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
ikey_

splawn makes a good option. a bit on the higher price of the spectrum, but its splawn so you know its gonna be awesome.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
FenrirFangs

Get a Whitebox. Amazing cabs for the price. Semi-Custom also. Great dealio.
FenrirFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Carvin G212 - $250.00. Or the Carvin Vai III 212 - $500.00. Both are quite good.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/G212

Came in here to recommend that. Carvin makes great ply cabs, and most of them you can get V30s in as an option, but even their house brand speakers are pretty great if you don't like V30s (I don't)

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Carvin is going to be your cheapest point out of all of these, and even $250 for an unloaded cab today is a pretty good deal.

I heard Jet City made some pretty decent cabs for cheap too, but the speakers weren't that great at all. I think the 2x12 runs for $240 or so loaded.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I have the Jet City JCA24S (2x12) and it's a decent cab. If you're looking for a good starting point that isn't expensive, it's a great choice. The build is solid as **** and the speakers aren't too bad. It's also convertible from closed-back to open-back, which is another reason it's a good option. If you get it, you can always swap the speakers out later. Compared to a Mesa Recto 2x12 with V30's, my Jet City has more bottom end and lower-mid frequencies and isn't as bitey in the midrange or as bright. It's also a little bit muddier, but V30's are pretty clear speakers. All in all, it's got decent speakers that are definitely workable, but you'll want to swap them out at some point for something that fits your tastes more and has more clarity. Other than the speakers, though, it's set up to be used as a Stereo cab as well as a Mono cab, can be closed/open back, and has really solid build construction. Except for the rubber feet on it. They come loose/break off pretty easily, so you'll have to watch for that, but I recommend putting casters on it anyway. It definitely saves your back. I've gigged with mine multiple times, and I abuse it constantly, and the only signs of wear and tear are some marks on the tolex and corner caps, and the rubber around the handle is starting to get ripped up in a spot where it rubs against the metal things that hold the handle on the top of the cab. I've been using mine for about 10 months now, and it's seen a lot of travel and abuse from gigging.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Offworld92
One among the fence.

As has been stated, anything with a closed back and V30s will do.

Orange, Mesa, Avatar, Marshall 1936V, etc..

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: