Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
ibacred
Plays the Geetar

VK stopped working

A little help if you guys would. I have a Peavey VK 112 and it stopped working on me

I can get a little sound out of it still, but I have to crank the volume and even then the volume is extremely low. There is also a lot of humming through the amp.

I tried replacing the preamp tubes, and then I ran into another problem. No matter how hard I try, I can't get one of the tubes all the way down. Here is a link to a picture of this.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums...1005_234230.jpg

I don't recall if it was sticking out a little before the change or not, but I'm assuming it needs to be the way in.

The power tubes still glow when it's on, so I didn't think that was the problem. I'm a noob to tube amps, so I have no idea whats wrong.

Thanks for any help guys.

Carvin Bolt Classic
LTD EC 1000
Parker PDF100
HD500 pod
ibacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

That looks all the way in to me. Look at the physical dimensions of what you are working on. Look at how long the tube is and how deep the socket is. The part with the holes in it to accept the tube pins doesn't move - where it is is where it stays. The tube goes in until the glass touches that part of the socket.

It's more likely to be your power tubes. Try pulling them out and giving them a clean. To clean:
Pull out tube and spray some contact cleaner on the tube pins, Deoxit is a good one.
Push the tube in and out of the socket about 3 times.
Make sure it's seated properly and any clips are back in place properly.
Done.
If that fails buy a new set of tubes. JJ are the best value for money.

And next time - take photos before you start pulling things apart so you can go back and look at how it is supposed to be.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 10-06-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
That looks all the way in to me. Look at the physical dimensions of what you are working on. Look at how long the tube is and how deep the socket is. The part with the holes in it to accept the tube pins doesn't move - where it is is where it stays. The tube goes in until the glass touches that part of the socket.

It's more likely to be your power tubes. Try pulling them out and giving them a clean. To clean:
Pull out tube and spray some contact cleaner on the tube pins, Deoxit is a good one.
Push the tube in and out of the socket about 3 times.
Make sure it's seated properly and any clips are back in place properly.
Done.
If that fails buy a new set of tubes. JJ are the best value for money.

And next time - take photos before you start pulling things apart so you can go back and look at how it is supposed to be.

This.

Power Tubes are the most likely culprit here.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

the sockets on the VK (at least the 212/head) are super ****ing deep, that doesn't look in, have you got it in thw right way round
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: