Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
conor1423

Best Multi FX pedals?

So I've been looking at a bunch of pedals, but I want to know what you lot think? For under $500, what's the best multi FX pedal you can get? The only one i really have experience with is the vox tonelab SE which is amazing, but it's time for a change. Any ideas?

Also, just heard about a zoom g9.2tt...

Last edited by conor1423 : 09-21-2012 at 11:22 PM.
conor1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

If you are trying to score big for little, my first choice would be the Zoom G3X (same as G3 but with the expression pedal).

If you can bear to stretch that $500 a bit, go for the Boss GT-100.

You can always find this stuff used.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
conor1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
If you are trying to score big for little, my first choice would be the Zoom G3X (same as G3 but with the expression pedal).

If you can bear to stretch that $500 a bit, go for the Boss GT-100.

You can always find this stuff used.

I'm not really looking to get a lot for little. I'm just looking to get a lot! I'm really wanting to upgrade my amp and pedals to go with my nice guitars...I know what amp I'm gonna go for, but I'm looking for a good multi FX pedal. Something with the ability to REALLY adjust/fine tune the settings and effects. I've become a tone ***** and I'm looking for some really nice bells and whistles
Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

tc g major. it's right around 500, and it is pretty amazing. it is rackmount though, they also have a nova system that is in pedal form, goes for around 450

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 09-21-2012 at 11:41 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
conor1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
tc g major. it's right around 500, and it is pretty amazing. it is rackmount though, they also have a nova system that is in pedal form, goes for around 450

I actually had one of those a while back, I bought one from guitar center used and it was totally useless. I returned without even plugging it in. But the nova system isn't quite right...theres not enough presets, you can only have three open before switching to a different row. Most pedals have four which for me is much more likable. I'm thinking I'm gonna maybe get the G major and hope it works, or the zoom unit. But I'm also gonna get a JMP 1 for a preamp.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
syn_g8s
Claparols_DOD

Line 6 PODHD500, it's more believable in terms of amp and cab simulation than the BOSS GT-100 IMO.

Try checking this video out:

syn_g8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #7
conor1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn_g8s
Line 6 PODHD500, it's more believable in terms of amp and cab simulation than the BOSS GT-100 IMO.

Try checking this video out:

I'm really not a fan of line 6. My friend loves them and Ive played with his gear and just didn't like the way it's set up and how focused on the computer it is. I'm really thinking now either a g major or the zoom g9.2tt
Old 09-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
syn_g8s
Claparols_DOD

What amp are you planning to get? 'Cause if you're going to get an amp with a good distortion channel the G major would be the better choice, better delays,modulations, etc. The Zoom on the other hand would win out if you're looking for something more "complete".

Last edited by syn_g8s : 09-22-2012 at 01:27 AM.
syn_g8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:50 AM   #9
conor1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn_g8s
What amp are you planning to get? 'Cause if you're going to get an amp with a good distortion channel the G major would be the better choice, better delays,modulations, etc. The Zoom on the other hand would win out if you're looking for something more "complete".

At the moment i have a marshall TSL 60 watt combo. I'm looking to either get a DSL 100 watt, but I'm gonna run a Marshall JMP 1 through the FX on the clean channel so thats not a huge factor. But I already managed to find a G major for $180 used, so I'm gonna call tomorrow and see if I can get a steal
Old 10-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
rubes09

I don't know how to start a new thread so I am posting a related reply :p I have a Line 6 spider 3 amp so that is how I get all of my guitar effects when I am playing. I recently bought a Boss rc-3 looper and realized that every loop I make has to be the same sound as I have no way to feed different effects through the looper. I was thinking that a cheap multi fx pedal would be the best way to go for different sounds? Or is there anything else you would suggest? I am thinking a Zoom G1 or a Digitech Rp55...
rubes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
ne14t

Well depends on what your going for.

Blues/Rock styled music I would go with a BOSS GT series multi fx

Hard Rock/Metal styled music I would go with a Line 6 POD HD series multi fx

And for outright cheapness I would go with that new Fender Mustang multi fx

When I was big on metal I was using a Line 6, hands down their high gain amp sims and stuff are the best, BOSS makes a great unit as well but for this genre it simply cant tango with the Line 6 at all. Now in the opposite manner for Blues and the lighter side of the Rock spectrum the BOSS GT series of pedals are just hard to top and certainly the BOSS handles this genre much better then the Line 6. And for giggles I tossed in the Fender Mustang multi fx from what I remember these things are dirt cheap and they have all the same modeling features as the Mustang Amps and more. I had a Mustang 3 for a while as a practice amp and it was a cool little unit I must admit especially for how cheap the amp was, anyways being Fender it had wicked models of Fender amps and some great models of other brand inspired amps. It certainly wont hand with either the Line 6 or the BOSS pedals; however it can do a great job in both categories especially given its cost in comparison.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
rubes09

Thanks but these 3 options are a little too expensive for what I want. I'm just looking for something under $100 maybe $150 that has the basic different effects and is a pedal that I can change sounds while playing. I am playing a lot of Blues/Rock but I do play any kinds of rock. Still think a multi fx pedal is for me?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
ne14t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubes09
Thanks but these 3 options are a little too expensive for what I want. I'm just looking for something under $100 maybe $150 that has the basic different effects and is a pedal that I can change sounds while playing. I am playing a lot of Blues/Rock but I do play any kinds of rock. Still think a multi fx pedal is for me?

That response was aimed at the person who originally started the thread, in your case I would stick with the Zoom or RP55, personally I prefer Digitech products but at that level its pretty all the same. You may also want to look into one of the jellybean desktop Line 6 PODs they have some really basic ones that can get you killer tone for a modeller only downside is they aren't a foot pedal so you would have to stop in between each track to reset the tone on it.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
rubes09

Ok thanks a bunch. I was leaning toward the Zoom just because their were some reviews that said the zoom was better, but I think I will take your advice and go for the digitech. Yah I have heard the Line 6 is good, but its not a pedal and I only need a variation of sounds for my looper as I already have my Line 6 amplifier. Any last suggestions though?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
ne14t

Any last suggestions would be to trust someone else if they did an indepth review on a Zoom against a Digitech, I have just used some other digitech pedals like the whammy and some of the hardwire stuff so I am slightly biased to that brand as I have never used any Zoom products. Other then that aside from actually getting individual pedals you are on the right step, just remember to run the effects before the looper otherwise the all the effects will get added to your entire loop.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #16
rubes09

Yah thanx a bunch I just wanted to make sure I am doing the right thing getting a multi fx pedal

Rate This Thread: