Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
lemmyisgod97
Banned

Would you have a teen musician in your band ?

I'm a 15 year old self taught guitarist and i want to join a band, but i'm worried that i won't be taken seriously because i am a teenager. I am a completely capable guitarist and i think i'm better than a lot of adults, ( i don't mean that in an arrogant way but i am self taught and have been playing for nearly 10 years). My favourite band is Thin Lizzy and I found out that Brian Robertson joined Thin Lizzy when he was 17 so i thought if he can do it why can't I.
So the question is, Would you have a 15 year old in your band if he was talented and very capable ?
lemmyisgod97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Johnny_Ibanez
ʎuuɥoſ

I expect a 15 year old would need ferrying around, probably wouldn't be able to afford to contribute towards practice sessions and general band consumables, and would limit the places that we could play in, as a lot of venues are over-18.

So no. Sorry. You're out.
Johnny_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Lemoninfluence
Masculist

Given how much shit I got from venue managers when I was 17 and playing gigs in bars, I wouldn't want to have to deal with that for 3 years. So unless you're Shawn Lane levels of talent, I'd say no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Lemoninfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
entity0009
UG's Null.

Nope. Lots of places I've played at enforce a minimum-age policy, even for performers. Sorry dude.
You might also want to worry about not being taken seriously for not capitalising your "I"s.
entity0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
metacarpi
Too old for this ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Ibanez
I expect a 15 year old would need ferrying around, probably wouldn't be able to afford to contribute towards practice sessions and general band consumables, and would limit the places that we could play in, as a lot of venues are over-18.

So no. Sorry. You're out.

This - also, I like to be able to hang out and relate with my band mates, and I couldn't do that with a teenager (I'm closer to 30 than 20).

However, if I was say 18 I don''t think I'd have a problem with it.

Note: I was a complete arse when I was 18.

Watching: Futurama
Listening: Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown
Playing: Watch_Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdof
Yeah, I'm a Racist

100m, 500m, Marathon.... He runs them all!
metacarpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Best to start a band with people your age. An adult is going to expect a lot more out of you (in terms of making it to practice, contributing financially, so forth) than you'll probably be able to manage.
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
loaded_
UG's official King Kai

Depends on where you live. I've been in bands since I was 15/16 because there isn't an age limit in venues around here.

On the other hand, mobility was always a problem, but that's not an impossible obstacle to overcome (I just got my driver's license and my own car last month). Money can also be a problem but only if you're in a band that's serious about recording and selling merchandise.

You should be able to start a little band right now without being too ambitious about touring, recording and selling merchandise in the near future.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
korinaflyingv
Bow you ****s

Quote:
Originally Posted by metacarpi
I like to be able to hang out and relate with my band mates, and I couldn't do that with a teenager

this
korinaflyingv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
Rockford_rocks
Cap'n Clutch

I'm 19, and unless you were really talented I'd probably have to say no. No car is no good.

Chicago Blackhawks 2013-2014
46-21-15
Rockford_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
entity0009
UG's Null.

My advice: Start a band with people your age. Spend 3 years getting really damn good. Then start gigging. There's nothing more depressing than a band with absolutely no cohesion who obviously aren't comfortable playing with each other. I know, I've been in one of those bands.
entity0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
dash-rendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by entity0009
My advice: Start a band with people your age. Spend 3 years getting really damn good. Then start gigging. There's nothing more depressing than a band with absolutely no cohesion who obviously aren't comfortable playing with each other. I know, I've been in one of those bands.

THIS! You're not gonna get into a band with most people older than you. Work on getting a band going with friends your own age, do some local coffee houses or something of the like and make sure you guys are tight as hell. I too have been part of bands that have no cohesion at all and it's depressing.
dash-rendar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
cptcomet
Band

Paul Gilbert wanted to play with Ozzy Osborne when he was 15 and got rejected.

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
cptcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
whoomit

no wai mang were all lyk 21 nao
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
stompbox

to be on the up and up my drummer is a 14 year old and i must say he can play his ass off one of the best i have seen and better than some guys that are in there twentys so i dont think it matters unless your going to jam in a bar but we have plan for that thow we ask him to put a i d on that says he is under age and when the set is up he dose have togo out side so far so good for now so i dont think matters
stompbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
chestercheetah

try out and stuff, thats what I started doing since noone my age had a band or anything so i tried out for a band and they liked me. So we played a couple time in texas and stuff at bars that where 18+ so **** them. I was 16 im now 18 but yea shit like that gets you lots of attention at bars, and i love attention lol
Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

I guess most venues have problems with under 18's. But I know that here where I live, the rock scene is actually one of the most sober and the stage is a much more safer environment than in a club.

I guess because in the US the drinking age is 21 so being under 18 is pretty much ridiculous to them. But in the UK being 15/16 isn't so bad.

My friend and his band range from 16-20. Its not the age that restricts them as such, its just not so good when the drummer who manages the band loves to bad mouth the bands that they're supposed to be supporting haha.
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

Get a hot female singer under 18 and then we'll talk about it.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
Ylasto
has now a cooler avatar!

I'm 17 and I would only add someone who was 15 years of age to my band if the kid was exceptionally good. Especially if it was a guitarist.

It would be a bigger chance I would hire you if you were a 15 year-old bassist or a 15 year-old drummer, if I was in need of one.

Just look for openings in bands, they might make an exception if you were incredible good (Which I don't know if you are)
Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #19
ExDementia
UG Freak

Most clubs you play when you're just getting started will be 21+. It really sucked having my drummer (who was 20 at the time) have to sit out in the parking lot before and after the show because he wasn't allowed in. Although, some places just don't give a shit.

Then there's the problem of you not being able to drive, pay for a practice space, and equipment.

Honestly, for me, it would be more hassle than it's worth. Either start a band with people your age or wait until you're 18 at the very minimum to join a band with 20-somethings. Even then, 3 years is a long time to not be allowed into the clubs you're trying to play. This especially sucks when you're the only one who can't stay inside.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
Jearl
yr bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entity0009
You might also want to worry about not being taken seriously for not capitalising your "I"s.

last.fm
Jearl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: