Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #41
metal4eva_22
Banned

metal4eva_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #42
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

While on the subject. How does the ending to Zelda Ocarina of Time work? You beat the bad guy in the future and somehow that makes the present ok???
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #43
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

Each sci-fi series whether its BTTF, The Terminator or Doctor Who has there own seperate rules because time travel does not exist. If you take it to mean stuff very literally, then you will be wound up in a endless loop of "if x happened then y happened and if y happened then x might not have happened but then y could not have happened to make x not happen etc".

I like Back To The Future logic best probably because its my favourite film series of all time lol. Current Doctor Who has the worst. Its so implausible and all over the place. Russel T. Davies and David Tennant led some more believeability with things which has now been ruined by Stephen Moffat and Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #44
King Twili
UG's Constable

Dragonball Z is the only thing that got it right.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #45
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14t
It's the grandfather paradox and yes it is true, mostly because its not stating that if you went back in time and killed your great grandmother before you were done you would cease to exist; however the grandfather paradox is most often used to argue that time travel into the past is impossible, which Steven Hawking himself has concluded as well, now traveling to a parallel universe where the time there may only be 1822 is possible but its not the same place. Time travel forward is possible as the closer you travel to the speed of light the slower you will perceive time to be, I saw an experiment where they used advanced physics which can be used to calculate forward "time travel" and it went something like this...

Bullet train that circles around the equator of the Earth at near light speeds for something like 1 year, when it stopped and got off the train it was actually 100 years in the future or something crazy its been a few years since the program.

Another way is gravity, extreme forces of gravity can slow down the perception of time as well, if one were to fly a space ship close to a Black Hole as to be effected by its mass amounts of gravity it would have the same effect as traveling at near light speed. When an item falls into a black hole it's traveling so slow that anyone outside the gravitational pull of the black hole would perceive the item as infinitely falling into the black holes vortex. Space is ****ing awesome! There are tons of science documentaries on this kind of stuff and being a physics junky I always watch them.

Edit: 4th dimension is Time and/or SpaceTime however you wish to refer to it

This guy gets it. This is how it works. But let me add to this just so people aren't confused; the train going around the earth concept isn't actually going into the future. It's saying that the 1 year on the train is actually 100 years normal time. It's not going into the future, it's measuring the time different depending on gravity (because of spacetime.) Same thing with the black hole.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #46
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg158
While on the subject. How does the ending to Zelda Ocarina of Time work? You beat the bad guy in the future and somehow that makes the present ok???

Symmetric time.

Also, because it's a video game...
Old 10-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #47
Harvey Swick
UGs Token Native American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawshik
This guy gets it. This is how it works. But let me add to this just so people aren't confused; the train going around the earth concept isn't actually going into the future. It's saying that the 1 year on the train is actually 100 years normal time. It's not going into the future, it's measuring the time different depending on gravity (because of spacetime.) Same thing with the black hole.

time dialation(sp?)

RIP DT
Harvey Swick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #48
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Symmetric time.

Also, because it's a video game...

Some people just have no imagination at all...
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #49
kalnoky7
Bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg158

The travelling is one-dimensional, as in Link can only really travel back or forth seven years. After defeating ganon, Rauru (reincarnated as Kaepora Gaebora in the past) and the other sages imprison Ganon in a Time prison, which casts ganon into a dimension without time, in that he cannot exist in time, but only picture himself (that white background was space without time) spatially.

Since the travelling was one-dimensional, Ganon is shunned from time at both the critical instances of the travelling (he existed before being banished in the future, and he existed in the past, but ceased to exist at that plane of existence at both times simultaneously)

Camptown Ladies never sang
All the doo-dah day, no no no

The Classical Thread - The Forums need it! - That's right, trying to get it going again
kalnoky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #50
jrcsgtpeppers

I think if i stepped into a portal that sent me to a specific time in the past, i would be sent to a parallel world where i was 'suppose to' be sent there and anything i did to that time line would happen naturally and would not affect my time line i came from.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #51
GuitarGuyNack
Metal Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender72
If time travel were possible, someone from the future would have already came back to the past to tell us about time travel.

No they wouldn't have.If someone did this it would **** the future (and by consequence their present) up for them.Also they prolly know that with our love of killing each other we'd just use it for evil.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #52
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

You know what bugs me about the idea of time travel? Nobody ever, EVER considers this:

The earth is always moving. If you were to somehow travel backwards or forwards in time, even by a day, you would end up either floating out in space or somewhere inside of the earth.

-Michael Faraday

Original Wood&Strings Song
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #53
snipelfritz
UG's Beautiful Butterfly

EDIT: ^ I forgot about this two. Not to mention the universe is constantly expanding so you'd end up millions of lightyears away from our solar system.

Yes, I agree with TS.

Harry Potter is actually the best example of time travel I've seen in fiction.

Except for Hitchhiker's Guide which just kinda says, "**** all" to any sort of logic or temporal reasoning.

Last edited by snipelfritz : 10-05-2012 at 06:16 PM.
snipelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #54
In Vein

First, go on Netflix and watch the movie Timecrimes, it's awesome and things will make a lot more sense after you see it. Seriously.

Now, imagine that you are in a long hallway with tall walls. Furthermore, it winds around a lot at very sharp angles, so that at any point in time you can really only see what is directly in front of you. So as you start off walking, you can see what is immediately present and you can remember where you've already been, but you don't know what the rest of the corridor looks like, or if it is even there. However, it is there, and is in a single, predefined shape, independent of you.

Another way to look at it is this. As you begin to study an object you have never seen, you discover new things about it that previously did not exist to your perception. However, these features were always there and will always be there despite from what point and how long you look at it.

Time, in these examples are the hallway or the object. Viewed like this, time is the fourth dimension in a mathematical sense, that is, it can be viewed as the fourth axis on a space graph. But why then do we perceive time as something that progresses? To answer this question, let's ask another. How do you represent a 3 dimensional object on a 2 dimensional plane? You could cheat and use artist's perspective but that is not a truly accurate depiction of the object. Instead, you could use a cross section of it, like when you slice one straight line (plane really) out of a sphere and are looking at a 2D circle.

This is how we see time, all the time. Since we are 3 dimensional beings, we couldn't possibly see all of 4D reality unfold simultaneously in the same way we can see all of a sphere or a square simultaneously. Instead, we see an infinite number of progressing cross sections of the the fourth dimension. Just as taking the cross section of a 3D object creates a 2D one, the same applies to 4D space-time cross sections allowing us to perceive 3D space.

Of course, by the very fact that we exist in 3 dimensions, there's mathematically no way we could ever prove that there are 4 dimensions and that time is the fourth (however, we can probably get some pretty damn good hints and implications).

So if you can think of 4D as all of it existing simultaneously as we see all of a cube existing simultaneously, then the killing your grandmother thing really isn't a paradox since our notion of "time" isn't actually progressing. It's not a problem that events progress after you killed her that would seem to make it impossible for you to be born if all the events in "time" exist simultaneously.

Now, on time travel. Yes, (ab)using relativity we can make it seem for all of our human intents and purposes that we traveled forward in time. However, this is not really time travel. True time travel would be connecting any two different points in the fourth dimension. For this to make any sense at all, you should just watch this video, Imagining the Tenth Dimension.

Note: I am a freshman physics major, not a theoretical physicist working for CERN. Any and all of the above may be wrong or misleading.
B. M. Sharp
Asbestoscape
The Glitch Mob

Last edited by In Vein : 10-05-2012 at 07:51 PM.
In Vein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #55
Butt Rayge
UG Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
You are obviously the first person to have thought of this.

Yeah. Cool original thread, bro.
Butt Rayge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #56
jakesmellspoo
BrBa Survivor's Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
You know what bugs me about the idea of time travel? Nobody ever, EVER considers this:

The earth is always moving. If you were to somehow travel backwards or forwards in time, even by a day, you would end up either floating out in space or somewhere inside of the earth.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #57
kurt_cobain9
UG's Favorite Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender72
If time travel were possible, someone from the future would have already came back to the past to tell us about time travel.

Even if someone did, we wouldn't believe them. Or we'd do something stupid like call them a witch and burn them at the stake, etc. if they proved it.

Last edited by kurt_cobain9 : 10-05-2012 at 09:41 PM.
kurt_cobain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #58
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan

I remember hearing this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Harry Potter is actually the best example of time travel I've seen in fiction.

Except that in HP 3 when they do it. They're all like "oh noooo, we're running out of time" the whole time they go back in time.

NO YOU ARE NOT! You can travel through time. You have all the time in the world.

I loved how Rowling destroyed all the time turners in HP5 because they ****ed with the universe so much. She regretted ever bringing them in in the first place.

Last edited by WCPhils : 10-05-2012 at 09:43 PM.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #59
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

You know what bugs me about time travel theories? Some could accumulate ridiculous amounts of knowledge, like how many times this topic has been discussed.
TheChaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #60
ThrashUnleashed
caught w/the wack calzone

Read Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five.
ThrashUnleashed is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: