Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
cheeekens

Any experience with the DLS Versa Vibe or Fulltone Deja Vibe 2?

I've been recently on the hunt for a vibe pedal that will give me a lush pulsing vibe similar to David Gilmour's in Breathe. According to Gilmourish.com, he used the Univox Uni-vibe for his sounds. Not having the re$ources to hunt down an original Univox Uni-vibe, I'm settling on either the DLS Versa Vibe http://www.dlseffects.com/versa_vibe.php or the Fulltone Deja Vibe 2 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fullton...981-i1439562.gc

My main deciding factor right now is price and availability (I was hoping to use it Sunday for a show). I found a Versa Vibe at a GC by my house for $170 (new $279, craigslist $250), while the Deja vibe 2 is $250 new and there aren't any on craigslist with the expression pedal near my house. The Versa Vibe has an expression pedal input, so I can pick up an expression pedal cheap on CL, keeping the price under $200.

I'll be playing a strat through a Vox ac15 and will use it mostly for Gilmourish and ambient stuff.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these pedals?
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1

Last edited by cheeekens : 10-05-2012 at 03:25 PM.
cheeekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeekens
I've been recently on the hunt for a vibe pedal that will give me a lush pulsing vibe similar to David Gilmour's in Breathe. According to Gilmourish.com, he used the Univox Uni-vibe for his sounds. Not having the re$ources to hunt down an original Univox Uni-vibe, I'm settling on either the DLS Versa Vibe http://www.dlseffects.com/versa_vibe.php or the Fulltone Deja Vibe 2 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fullton...981-i1439562.gc

My main deciding factor right now is price and availability (I was hoping to use it Sunday for a show). I found a Versa Vibe at a GC by my house for $170 (new $279, craigslist $250), while the Deja vibe 2 is $250 new and there aren't any on craigslist with the expression pedal near my house. The Versa Vibe has an expression pedal input, so I can pick up an expression pedal cheap on CL, keeping the price under $200.

I'll be playing a strat through a Vox ac15 and will use it mostly for Gilmourish and ambient stuff.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these pedals?

i have played the deja vibe 2 extensively. i also own a sweet sound ultra-vibe II.

the fulltone is a very warm sounding unit, i like the lag built into the expression pedal (if you change the rate it actually takes a little time for the rate to change speed). i actually liked this pedal quite a bit. i liked the fact that the expression is built into the pedal itself which made it convenient. you engage it by just going for heel to toe and this allowed for engaging the effect and picking your tempo (this can get tricky with units that have separate expression controls)

the negatives:
-it's design does lend itself to accidental setting changes, inadvertent foot traffic can turn knobs or flick switches.
-since the knobs and switches are on the side and not immediately on top then it can be a bit more difficult to visually observe your settings (especially if it is securely attached to a board).
-you have to disengage the effect by going completely heel down, sometimes it can be tricky seating the effect correctly and you can accidentally engage the effect by brushing the pedal with your foot.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
cheeekens

Thanks gumbilicious! I really appreciate your input; I think I too would like the lag of the Deja Vibe's expression pedal and that you can engage and set the tempo in one move (as opposed to a vibe with a separate expression pedal); I hadn't even thought of that but that might be the deciding factor -- I'm trying to think of how much I'd actually use the expression pedal (although I think I would use it frequently enough). I'm not too concerned about bumping into the pedal as I have a sensitive volume pedal that I've learned to work with for the past 2 years.

I'm also open to other vibe pedal suggestions; you mentioned the sweet sound ultra-vibe II... are there any glaring cons to it and could you dial in a decent Gilmour-esque vibe with it?
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
cheeekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeekens
Thanks gumbilicious! I really appreciate your input; I think I too would like the lag of the Deja Vibe's expression pedal and that you can engage and set the tempo in one move (as opposed to a vibe with a separate expression pedal); I hadn't even thought of that but that might be the deciding factor -- I'm trying to think of how much I'd actually use the expression pedal (although I think I would use it frequently enough). I'm not too concerned about bumping into the pedal as I have a sensitive volume pedal that I've learned to work with for the past 2 years.

I'm also open to other vibe pedal suggestions; you mentioned the sweet sound ultra-vibe II... are there any glaring cons to it and could you dial in a decent Gilmour-esque vibe with it?

i actually end up using the expression alot with vibe effects.

the ultra-vibe II isn't quite as warm sounding as the fulltone. the UVII is similar in setup to the DLS vibe you posted but with less options. the big appeal of a UVII is how similar it is to the original (like lamp and photocells).

i would go with a fulltone for a warmer gilmour tone. i like the UVII alot, but it is also quite expensive.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: