Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
ch1ng_chung

Scholarship help? How can I maximize my chances?

I hear that it's simply impossible to recieve a decent scholarship in the 2-digit thousands, and I want some advice on how to get one of those rarities.

I'm a Junior right now and I will have completed 5 AP's by the end of this year. 10 AP's by the end of Senior year.

My GPA is 3.8 unweighted and 4.3 weighted. By the end of this year, the weighted GPA will have gone up to 4.6, judging by my current performance. My SAT is a decent but kinda wobbly 2090 right now, but I'm retaking the test tomorrow and aiming for around a 2300.

For my extracurriculars, I did JV Football freshman and sophomore year. In 10th grade I competed in a tri-state chemistry competition at a state university but didn't win anything. I also do debate team and tutor Elementary schoolers for the SPEAK club. I am the 11th grade SGA secretary.

Next year and further on this year, I plan to join Marching Band as the only electric guitarist in the district and maybe play a Varsity sport. I'm also going to create the "Gallant Guitarists' Guild" (guitar club) and join the Trivia Team.

So that's about it.

What are my chances of getting a scholarship? and how can I maximize them? I mean, are there any other things that really stick out to colleges?

Also, is there any practical difference to scoring a 2300 vs a 2090 on the SAT? I don't plan to go to any Ivy League schools because I want to double major in Music and another area.
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
ironman1478

be a minority.
ironman1478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Wait til this guy realizes how little high school actually matters.

Original Wood&Strings Song
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
ch1ng_chung

I do realize that, but a high school record is practically the only thing that counts when applying to college unless you have a (very very) good community service record
Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
(very very) good community service record

wats that

and why don't you have one?
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
ch1ng_chung

well i guess it's a little above average because I have about 230 service hours, but it's not outstanding or anything

by good i mean like someone travelling to flood-devestated New Orleans and helping the people there for an entire month or founding a charity organization that has donated lots (over 10,000 dollars) of money to poor, underprivileged minorities

I have nothing of the sort

One biggie also, I'm ASIAN

Last edited by ch1ng_chung : 10-05-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Quote:
I do realize that, but a high school record is practically the only thing that counts when applying to college unless you have a (very very) good community service record

It depends on the college. If you want to major in music, they'll want you to be a fine musician, and marching band isn't exactly indicative of that..

Quote:
One biggie also, I'm ASIAN so its gonna be harder for me than some other races

Least surprising statement ever. Live your life a little, kid.

Last edited by StewieSwan : 10-05-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
ch1ng_chung

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
It depends on the college. If you want to major in music, they'll want you to be a fine musician, and marching band isn't exactly indicative of that..

So what do you recommend? Our school just cancelled the jazz band this year, and only the MB remains. Being in a band? Guitar Center battle of the blues, ect?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Quote:
So what do you recommend? Our school just cancelled the jazz band this year, and only the MB remains. Being in a band? Guitar Center battle of the blues, ect?

Specify what you want to major in first. "Music" is still quite broad.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
ch1ng_chung

i think jazz with electrical guitar

maybe popular music, but I'm not sure whats the major difference between the two besides the fact that jazz plays more jazz

edit: performance not education

Last edited by ch1ng_chung : 10-05-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Quote:

maybe popular music, but I'm not sure whats the major difference between the two besides the fact that jazz plays more jazz

Do you mean a music performance major?

Quote:

Now you're really wasting your time.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
metal4eva_22
Smart purple horse

All of that effort towards school ... and you're going into music.
metal4eva_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Quote:

Universities don't do popular music. It's too simple.

Being a jazz guitar performance major shouldn't be too hard to get into, universities take you from the bottom up, especially with music theory. Getting a music scholarship is another matter, you have to audition and prove you have the chops to warrant a scholarship. You'll have to be in ensemble for your major, they will require an audition as well.
I'm assuming you like jazz. Like, a lot. You'll have to listen and play a crap ton of it.

As far as general scholarships go, I'd say your academic and extra-curricular stuff should do you well.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
ch1ng_chung

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
Universities don't do popular music. It's too simple.

Being a jazz guitar performance major shouldn't be too hard to get into, universities take you from the bottom up, especially with music theory. Getting a music scholarship is another matter, you have to audition and prove you have the chops to warrant a scholarship. You'll have to be in ensemble for your major, they will require an audition as well.
I'm assuming you like jazz. Like, a lot. You'll have to listen and play a crap ton of it.

As far as general scholarships go, I'd say your academic and extra-curricular stuff should do you well.

Oh yea, about that. I'm not planning to get a MUSIC scholarship, but a general "academics or something" scholarship, go to college, and double major. This path costs a lot less, and I know that I am almost certainly not getting any music scholarships (I've been playing for only 2 years, but I won't fall behind because I learn faster than most people and have been one out of two guitarists invited to my schools' MBand).

And what exactly is a "popular music major"? What do you learn in that major? 1-4-5 progressions? The science behind syncing the underlying rhythms and beats of the music so they are the most pleasing to the human brain? How to use overtones to create hidden melodies that the listener's subconscious gets "high" off of (like they do in some pop songs)?

Last edited by ch1ng_chung : 10-05-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
ch1ng_chung

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
All of that effort towards school ... and you're going into music.

nice profile picture
Old 10-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #16
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Quote:
Oh yea, about that. I'm not planning to get a MUSIC scholarship, but a general "academics or something" scholarship, go to college, and double major. This path costs a lot less, and I know that I am almost certainly not getting any music scholarships (I've been playing for only 2 years, but I won't fall behind because I learn faster than most people and have been one out of two guitarists invited to my schools' MBand).

And what exactly is a "popular music major"? What do you learn in that major? 1-4-5 progressions? The science behind syncing the underlying rhythms and beats of the music so they are the most pleasing to the human brain? How to use overtones to create hidden melodies that the listener's subconscious gets "high" off of (like they do in some pop songs)?

Universities don't offer popular music majors. It's not musically interesting. That stuff you learn by going to LA and getting in the trenches. It's either jazz or classical if you're going to university for music.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #17
metalblaster
UG Newbie

school. yeah, sounds ****ing useless as it mostly is over here.

my advice, rob a bank, kill any witnesses, even any babies, so they don't end up like Dexter.
metalblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #18
Spaztikko

Semi-Relevant fact: I have a better chance enrolling in university and getting a scholarship if I leave my good school and enroll in a POS shit one, then sit my exams as an external student at my real college, because of how biased the uni is against my school.

So, change schools to one full of islanders, and try not to get stabbed in the face before exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
I killed the chat thread again.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #19
sonsie
Bass Douche

Come from the country. Here in Melbourne, you can get paid 6000 a semester (maybe a year) just because you're smart and from the country. I think you can get paid double digits if you're top 1% of Australia and from the country.

NOTE: you get paid but still have HECS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
sonsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists

Quote:
One biggie also, I'm ASIAN
I loll'ed. I think Asians do well in University, there is just something about their culture though that makes everyone turn against them though. Asian people here either sit alone or cling to other Asians.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: