Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #21
Kensai
49ers
 
Kensai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Francisco
I got 2 scholarships earlier this week because I'm going to an excavation in Brazil. I think you need to have a good purpose with the scholarship, and it helps if you're in a higher education. Doctorate's get tons of scholarship for example... master degree students, not so much in comparison, and it just gets lower the 'lower' you go.
__________________
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #22
Thrashtastic15
Banned
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: calgary
the secret is to just apply for all the scholarships. all of them.
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #23
ng117
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ireland
There's something about this guy's username and his thread about getting good tone from a marshall MG I can't quite put my finger on...
ng117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #24
MakinLattes
fully retractable
 
MakinLattes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: { }
It kind of depends on the scholarship... Talk to the schools you're interested in and see what they have to offer. Look at privately funded scholarships.
MakinLattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #25
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
idk, I just applied and they gave me a ton of money.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
95% of teens have moved on to hip hop. Put this in your sig if you're part of th 5% who care about REAL music.




Check out my...

YouTube
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #26
Godsmack_IV
PhD in Pinkonomics
 
Godsmack_IV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Super Luongo World
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
the secret is to just apply for all the scholarships. all of them.


This right here.

Also, initiate/organize/lead a community service project which makes you stand out from the overachieving crowd.
__________________
Godsmack_IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #27
Ssargentslayer
Registered Abuser
 
Ssargentslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
My GPA is 3.8 unweighted and 4.3 weighted. By the end of this year, the weighted GPA will have gone up to 4.6, judging by my current performance. My SAT is a decent but kinda wobbly 2090 right now, but I'm retaking the test tomorrow and aiming for around a 2300.


I thought GPA was outa 4? So is yours out of 5? 10?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMullet
Your username is dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
I basically slap my dick on my girlfriend's stomach until I get off.
brot pls
Minecraft: Bunnies4Breakfst
Xbox: Bunies4Breakfst
Ssargentslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #28
ch1ng_chung
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssargentslayer
I thought GPA was outa 4? So is yours out of 5? 10?


Your GPA is all the high school courses you take. 4 = A, 3 = B, ect...

A weighted GPA is out of 5 and out of all high school courses. The difference is that for honors or AP (college level) classes, an A = 5, and B = 4, and so on.

I took several HS courses in middle school and it didn't offer any honors programs so that's why my GPA is just above a 4 right now.

It is a incontrovertible fact that it is impossible to get a WGPA of 5.0, despite what people say. The fact is that high schools require kids to take at least 1 semester of PE and multiple arts/music/extra classes in order to graduate. Those classes don't have honors. There'll never be a college level PE class; that's ridiculous! Therefore, the highest potential WGPA one can attain and graduate is a 4.85, and that's given that he takes all college level classes besides the required remedial courses. Taking into account the sheer amount of stress this puts, I would put the reasonable potential highest GPA at around 4.7.

People say they get 5.0's because they only account for the honors courses. One non-honors course makes it impossible to get a 5 no matter how well you do.
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
ChrisBW
Registered User
 
ChrisBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Pro tip: no one cares about your weighted GPA and might not even care about your unweighted GPA. They might be just looking at your GPA across your core classes.

All a GPA over 4 means is that you went to a school that allowed you to take AP classes and did well in them. My high school only had 2 AP classes, and I only graduated with like 12 or 15 credits. I have friends from other schools cross town who started college with 30-40 credits, and I have cousins who are sophomores in high school who have like 4.6ish GPAs and a bunch of college credit already.

Point is, they have to judge everyone on the same scale because some people aren't given the opportunity to get ahead in high school (something which I really resent my high school for).
__________________
I have a huge fear if rays.
ChrisBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #30
ch1ng_chung
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBW
Pro tip: no one cares about your weighted GPA and might not even care about your unweighted GPA. They might be just looking at your GPA across your core classes.

All a GPA over 4 means is that you went to a school that allowed you to take AP classes and did well in them. My high school only had 2 AP classes, and I only graduated with like 12 or 15 credits. I have friends from other schools cross town who started college with 30-40 credits, and I have cousins who are sophomores in high school who have like 4.6ish GPAs and a bunch of college credit already.

Point is, they have to judge everyone on the same scale because some people aren't given the opportunity to get ahead in high school (something which I really resent my high school for).


i dont understand how you can rack up 30-40 college credits in high school. i think that's more ap classes than the collegeboard provides
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #31
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
i dont understand how you can rack up 30-40 college credits in high school. i think that's more ap classes than the collegeboard provides

I'm not sure if it's what he meant, but I knew a bunch of people who took classes at community college while still in high school. I took two my senior year.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
95% of teens have moved on to hip hop. Put this in your sig if you're part of th 5% who care about REAL music.




Check out my...

YouTube
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #32
mtshark
is the bees knees
 
mtshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Not in the UK
Volunteer. I got beat out on a full tuition scholarship (albeit at a community college) by a friend of mine who was a WAY worse student but had years of volunteer work under her belt.
__________________
I pride myself on my humility.
mtshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #33
ch1ng_chung
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
I'm not sure if it's what he meant, but I knew a bunch of people who took classes at community college while still in high school. I took two my senior year.


yea but 40? thats like taking 9 college courses each year in HS. Don't think thats entirely possible for the average man
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #34
ChrisBW
Registered User
 
ChrisBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
yea but 40? thats like taking 9 college courses each year in HS. Don't think thats entirely possible for the average man


Between AP classes, dual-credit, and community college, yes it's entirely possible if you go to a school that allows you to start taking AP classes early enough. I think some of the people I know took community college classes over the summer sometimes too.

Really, it's all about knowing that it's possible when you're first starting high school.
__________________
I have a huge fear if rays.
ChrisBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #35
Avedas
UG's Half Asian
 
Avedas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
All of that effort towards school ... and you're going into music.


I've seen far more tryhard for far less ambition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
I loll'ed. I think Asians do well in University, there is just something about their culture though that makes everyone turn against them though. Asian people here either sit alone or cling to other Asians.


They do about as well as everyone else from what I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
yea but 40? thats like taking 9 college courses each year in HS. Don't think thats entirely possible for the average man


Each course is typically worth 3-4 credits.

I saw so many people from my high school take AP calculus and chemistry courses, get credit for the first level equivalents in uni then proceed to fail the next level course. Kinda funny actually.
Avedas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #36
archenemyfan
UG Addict
 
archenemyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
All of that effort towards school ... and you're going into music.



So true.
archenemyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #37
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists
 
Neo Evil11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arkham Asylum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avedas
I've seen far more tryhard for far less ambition.



They do about as well as everyone else from what I've seen.



Each course is typically worth 3-4 credits.

I saw so many people from my high school take AP calculus and chemistry courses, get credit for the first level equivalents in uni then proceed to fail the next level course. Kinda funny actually.

I would say Asians in general have a better work ethic than us "Western" students, but we have learned more how to think critically and think for ourselves.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:12 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.