Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #41
Greenie_777
UG Newbie

I think people are over glamourising this quite a bit. If you work for MI5 you'll pretty much either be sitting behind a desk putting information together like sifting through patterns in their daily lives or you might be out watching someone else live their life.

If you're working for a SIGINT agency you'll be looking at codes that you personally can't break so you'll probably just send it on, or you're the code breaker who just sits and does maths trying to work out the algorithm for the code.

If you work in HUMINT you'll probably just be meeting one person or a couple of people who are local and will then go out and gather the information you want which you can then write a report and send it back to a database where someone else will look at it.

Sure there are probably exciting jobs and some of the top secret info may be quite interesting. But to get to the point where you're hearing about some mental government conspiracy chances are you're one of the heads of the intelligence agencies or in government.

Also you have to live a squeaky clean life with no debts in case someone tries to bribe you, no drugs, you can't keep secrets from the vetting agency so you just spill your life in detail in the interviews you have every few years, you will struggle to marry people of different nationalities and will also have to get permission to travel to different countries.

Also the money you get for your skill is probably a lot less than you would get for a civillian job.

On the plus side you get to laugh at all the stupid shit people write about these places and what they can do on the internet. I could work for them for a few years just to get a feel for what they do out of interest and get a knowledge of how the secret world works but I need more freedom than a secret job would entail.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #42
GHJ
A Paw In My Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie_777
I think people are over glamourising this quite a bit. If you work for MI5 you'll pretty much either be sitting behind a desk putting information together like sifting through patterns in their daily lives or you might be out watching someone else live their life.

If you're working for a SIGINT agency you'll be looking at codes that you personally can't break so you'll probably just send it on, or you're the code breaker who just sits and does maths trying to work out the algorithm for the code.

If you work in HUMINT you'll probably just be meeting one person or a couple of people who are local and will then go out and gather the information you want which you can then write a report and send it back to a database where someone else will look at it.

Sure there are probably exciting jobs and some of the top secret info may be quite interesting. But to get to the point where you're hearing about some mental government conspiracy chances are you're one of the heads of the intelligence agencies or in government.

Also you have to live a squeaky clean life with no debts in case someone tries to bribe you, no drugs, you can't keep secrets from the vetting agency so you just spill your life in detail in the interviews you have every few years, you will struggle to marry people of different nationalities and will also have to get permission to travel to different countries.

Also the money you get for your skill is probably a lot less than you would get for a civillian job.

On the plus side you get to laugh at all the stupid shit people write about these places and what they can do on the internet. I could work for them for a few years just to get a feel for what they do out of interest and get a knowledge of how the secret world works but I need more freedom than a secret job would entail.

Are you a bleep? There might be some interesting opportunities there. Or not I guess.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #43
Tango616
UG's Death Metal Terran

Hell yeah I would.

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Tango616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #44
snooch2thenooch
Banned

goddamn right I would, solid snake like a ma****a. I dont give a **** what I was doing or who I was doing it for or why.
snooch2thenooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #45
matsif
gone fishin'

I've put in applications for the CIA and NSA in engineering positions, and most of the assumptions made by the TS are completely false from my contacts within said agencies.

for the NSA job I applied for as an example:
I would live in Maryland to work at Fort Meade, never having to leave the country.

as to the TS's first point about not being able to tell people what I did for a living, I think it would be awesome to actually be able to tell someone "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." Keeps the random annoyances out of my life.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #46
ali.guitarkid7
a real man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman1478
so disregarding all the political stuff, like if you disagree with the CIA's goal, would you go through the stuff above to have a pretty interesting job for basically the rest of your life, and get to travel a lot.

**** yeah I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
you are tumblr feminism personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
poo-tee-tweet, motherfucker
ali.guitarkid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #47
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
For most people, it's just another regular job. Also your second point doesn't really apply.

I say give it a shot. Live a little

+1
Old 10-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #48
NeutralFan
UG's Grey Square

That would kind of suit me TBH, being an introverted, anti-social nerd. Up to you though. When you say engineers, you mean in an IT way, right?

Call me Neutral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
HIBERNIAN FC
SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 14/15
NeutralFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #49
ironman1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsif
I've put in applications for the CIA and NSA in engineering positions, and most of the assumptions made by the TS are completely false from my contacts within said agencies.

for the NSA job I applied for as an example:
I would live in Maryland to work at Fort Meade, never having to leave the country.

as to the TS's first point about not being able to tell people what I did for a living, I think it would be awesome to actually be able to tell someone "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." Keeps the random annoyances out of my life.

this is what the recruiter told me, every single point, the family portion, traveling portion, etc. however, these points are for specifically the CIA and i guess any equivalent international intelligence agency that another country has. i guess i should have been more specific
ironman1478 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: