Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Paddynbob

P90 Replacement Les Paul

Ive had my Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute for a year now, and despite the UG reviewers opinions, I love this guitar. It's been a bit controversial, but I love the tones it creates. I've always been a P90 fan, I love the sound and bite.

But I've found the bridge pickup a little thin, more suited to kind of country, rockabilly, etc (60s genres, I suppose...) and have decided to swap it out. I want to make it the kind of p90 equivelent to my other LP, which has a stock bucker in neck and invader in bridge. This is for my metal band, and punk needs. So, kind of an aggressive pickup that could handle really high gain, but not lose its character as a p90. Also, one that would sound full and bassy, preferably. The high gain pedal I use is a metal muff.

I've looked into some p90s and considered some, ruled some out, but I shan't say which I'm considering, so I get some of people's own suggestions but I'll say I've looked at EMGs, Bare Knuckles, Duncans, etc.

This is the kind of gain level I go for: www.facebook.com/twinparadoxofficial . That's my bucker LP through metal muff through Orange TH30, although I mostly play through a Blackstar HT Stage 60.

Thanks for input

Last edited by Paddynbob : 10-05-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Paddynbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i don't have that much experience with aftermarket p90s- but the duncan sp90-1 sounds on the thin/weak side too (tried it in an edwards), so I'd avoid that one. can't really give you any advice regarding which to go for, unfortunately.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
redandwhite12
red and also white

I have the same guitar actually and have similar problems. I want a thicker less trebly sound. I've been thinking about getting a nice set of Lollars, the over wound bridge pickup precisely.

That being said P-90's are not the greatest high gain pickups and aren't gonna sound exactly like a humbucker exactly, if that's what your shooting for.

My Youtubez

http://www.youtube.com/user/redandwhite12?feature=mhee
redandwhite12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Jhachey22
Bαnned on the Run

Dimarzio has some cool p-90 sized versions of their humbuckers worth checking out.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Jhachey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

If you want to save a few bucks GFS have a few P90's in all shapes and sizes and people always seem to like them. You'll get a pair from GFS pups for less than you'll pay for a single DiMarzzio or SD.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redandwhite12
I have the same guitar actually and have similar problems. I want a thicker less trebly sound. I've been thinking about getting a nice set of Lollars, the over wound bridge pickup precisely.

That being said P-90's are not the greatest high gain pickups and aren't gonna sound exactly like a humbucker exactly, if that's what your shooting for.

they won't sound exactly like a humbucker, but most of the p90s i've tried (including the ones i own) are pretty thick-sounding. I wouldn't call them thin, in fact they're arguably thicker-sounding than paf-style humbuckers.

he can definitely get p90s which will do what he wants, in other words (assuming he likes the tone of p90s- as you said, they won't sound exactly the same as humbuckers). I was just advising him against one model which wouldn't really do what he wants (assuming the one i tried wasn't faulty, of course).

Old 10-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
they won't sound exactly like a humbucker, but most of the p90s i've tried (including the ones i own) are pretty thick-sounding. I wouldn't call them thin, in fact they're arguably thicker-sounding than paf-style humbuckers.

he can definitely get p90s which will do what he wants, in other words (assuming he likes the tone of p90s- as you said, they won't sound exactly the same as humbuckers). I was just advising him against one model which wouldn't really do what he wants (assuming the one i tried wasn't faulty, of course).

Which kinds would you suggest for hi gain suitability?
Paddynbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

that's the big problem- I haven't really tried any name-brand replacements with a tone like that. The ones I have are stock pickups- the wilkinson p90 in my fretking and the no-idea-what-they-are p90s in my JJ.

But I'm guessing if you look for ones with a reputation of being reasonably hot and sounding reasonably thick (most manufacturers list a rough EQ and output), you should find something which will do what you want. Emailing the manufacturers for advice is a good idea, too.

Rate This Thread: