Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
benlauziere

Choosing the right amp

Hello guys,

I would like to start playing guitar (well, I already played guitar, I know chords and scales, and I play bass, so I'm not a total noob) and spotted the Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster Special as my guitar. I would like to play bluesy-rock so that fits in I think. But, the problem is: I don't have a amp... I would like to have a nice rich, vintage, bluesy sound. My budget is around 100-150 bucks, and I don't care if it's used. A friend of mine uses a Marshall MS-15FX and I find it pretty nice for a entry level amp !

So what would be your bet ?

Thanks !
benlauziere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I'd go with a Peavey Vypyr 30 since it has damn many options and sounds pretty good. And while it's geared more toward metal, the models of the Vox and Fender style amps are pretty good. Go used if you have to, but you could probably get one new for $150 on sale.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
I'd go with a Peavey Vypyr 30 since it has damn many options and sounds pretty good. And while it's geared more toward metal, the models of the Vox and Fender style amps are pretty good. Go used if you have to, but you could probably get one new for $150 on sale.

+1
Peavey really know their stuff when it comes to making a good amp.
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

vypyr 30.

any cheaper amp that claims to sound like a better amp (marshall mg's) is going to be a tremendous let down in the long term. a modelling amp will give you massive versatility and usable sounds for minimal dollars. you don't really need more than that
Old 10-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

I haven't played any of the vyper series, but I'll vouch for peavey. I've had 4 or 5 peavy amps, and I've never had one quit on me!
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

vox valvetronix, if you ask me. they tend to be better at lower gain tones than the cubes.

some of the small 5 watt tube amps might even be worth a look if you don't need much versatility in the tones you're after- they're one-trick ponies (whereas modellers are much more versatile), but it sounds like that's the trick you want and need (and they do that trick way better than the cheaper modellers do, IMO). Bear in mind, though, they have to be cranked up pretty loud to get distortion- 5 watts tube cranked through a decent speaker is well over 100dB. Some have variable wattage controls, though, and if you can stretch to them, they might be worth considering. Or you could always pick up a cheap-but-decent overdrive or distortion pedal (joyos are pretty good for cheap).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: