Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Zaxist

Am I doing something wrong with my metal picking technique?

Hey! well where to begin.

Ive been playing for 8 years and concentrating on metal rhythm for about 4 of those. Now by all means I consider my self a pretty good rhythm player, but in the last couple of days I've been trying out these Jazz III picks that seem to be all the rave.

Now whilst playing these I noticed that when I was executing fast downpicking I seem to be often clipping small parts of my index finger or even nail on the string a split second before the pick or in some cases after. Like I said this is a very, very minor clip of the finger, not a giant wack o the strings. Now this is giving me no unwanted noise what so ever, but after a while it can begin to hurt the skin just below my nail on the top side of my index finger and it swells and grazes and all sorts of stuff.

Yes I know how to hold my pick properly and comfortably, so I don't attribute it to that.
I switched back to a regular Dunlop 1mm pick and found that though less common, the same thing was still happening, like I said though, it is not giving me any noise at all even under high gain.

I have attached a picture showing the part of my index finger that I'm talking about, (Im a lefty).

So my question is this: Is this just something that happens and over time you can learn to live with, or try and make it happen less often, OR is this a serious flaw in my picking technique, since I haven't had a lesson in years??

Thanks fellow metallers in advance!

Zac.[/IMG]http://s1277.beta.photobucket.com/u...a286ea.jpg.html

Last edited by Zaxist : 10-04-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Zaxist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
KailM

I think that you should switch back to a pick that works for you. I use large, equilateral triangle shaped picks and that's all I can use. When I try to use small, normal picks like a lot of other people I hit my fingers all the time and can't play worth a shit.

With my normal large picks I can play blisteringly fast metal rhythm, tremelo picking, pinch harmonics, accurate leads and everything. Do what works for YOU.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2

Last edited by KailM : 10-05-2012 at 12:25 AM.
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Just because Jazz 3's feel comfortable to some people doesn't mean that you have to use them.

And your picture doesn't show anything that can help us. It's far too blurry. Or maybe I'm just far too drunk tonight. Either way, a video would help us more.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
Zaxist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
I think that you should switch back to a pick that works for you. I use large, equilateral triangle shaped picks and that's all I can use. When I try to use small, normal picks like a lot of other people I hit my fingers all the time and can't play worth a shit.

With my normal large picks I can play blisteringly fast metal rhythm, tremelo picking, pinch harmonics, accurate leads and everything. Do what works for YOU.

Cheers dudes btw KailM, another part of my question was, is it "normal" (for want of a better word) even with a general large to pick to hit your fingers here and there a bit?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxist
Cheers dudes btw KailM, another part of my question was, is it "normal" (for want of a better word) even with a general large to pick to hit your fingers here and there a bit?

No that's not normal - it simply comes down to poor technique, which is down to a lack of effective practice. Picking is pickingm there's no such thing as "metal picking", it's the same basic action regardless of what you're playing or how fast you're playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #6
StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato

I use Jazz III's regularly and I've never hit my fingers against anything...

StrykVladzimsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #7
Spaztikko

I use Jazz IIIs for lead and stuff, but I hold mine with the 2nd finger as well, so when doing fast chug I'll hit my middle.

Now I do lead work with my Jazz, and use a ginormous mandolin pick, which is essentially a giant elongated one for chug. I'll post a pic sometime maybe, it really is unique.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
Zaxist

Yeah, thanks everyone, I think since I notied it two days ago, I seemed to have disciplined my hand a fair bit, and its getting better, should just take a week or two.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
Zaxist

And Steven thanks! Yeah I think I knew that it was poor technique, I'm more just wondering if it is really something to worry about drastically? or gradually fix it? and how "common" is it amongst metal players?

Thanks in Advance.

Zac.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxist

Well, it's "normal" in the fact that if you don't practice enough, you'll hit your fingers. You need to choke up on that pick a bit more/curl your fingers in a little more.

My issue with small picks is that I have gorilla hands and fingers, so I need a larger pick.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
Zaxist

Alright cheers dude, Ill concentrate on that.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko
Now I do lead work with my Jazz, and use a ginormous mandolin pick, which is essentially a giant elongated one for chug. I'll post a pic sometime maybe, it really is unique.

So how does that work out for gigging? -_-;
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
J_W

Sounds like you are angling the pick upward and your finger is hitting first. Hold the pick at a 90 degree angle to the strings. That's all I can think of. I never hit my fingers when picking so I would say it's not normal.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
Yes I know how to hold my pick properly and comfortably, so I don't attribute it to that.

Can you upload a pick of the way you hold the pick? You're almost definitely doing it wrong if you're having this problem.

If not, then the obvious thing is to make smaller, neater picking motions and show very slightly more of the pick.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #15
Spaztikko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
So how does that work out for gigging? -_-;

Pretty ok, since I tape my picks to my guitar. Its a shitty aria, I don't care about the paint.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #16
krisis99

How do you guys all hold you picks? because I have never hit my fingers on the strings.
Also I have learned to alt pick, trem pick with my thumb's movements instead of my wrist, maybe try that.

Last edited by krisis99 : 10-06-2012 at 07:54 AM.
krisis99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: