Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
lotusmonk

Help with buying electro-acoustic

Hi guys, I'm Jakub a newbie at the forum, intermediate, self taught guitar player

I play mostly recreationally, just for my own pleasure, and so I am not too savvy when it comes to evaluating a guitar. Recently I've moved away from home and had to leave my guitar there. Now I'm looking for a new electric/acoustic piece for around $100.

I've managed to find two runner-ups in this price range with excellent user reviews and statements that they usually cost $180 and up. Now I needed a community of experts to help me decided which one is more "worthy" - could I turn to you?

I apologize beforehand, but since this is my first post the forum doesn't allow me to hyperlink the guitars.

First one (or well two) is Kalos by Cecilio google Kalos by Cecilio Full Size 40" Acoustic Electric Cutaway Body or Kalos by Cecilio Full Size 41" Acoustic Electric Dreadnought Cutaway Body Guitar with Mahogany Top they both have specs like this:
20 frets
3 band EQ with volume control knob and battery indicator
Cut-away body
41 (or 40") overall length
25.6 (650mm) scale length
Mahogany laminate top
Mahogany laminate back and sides
Rosewood fingerboard and bridge
Die-cast tuners
Waterslide decal rosette
ABS binding
Pearloid dot fingerboard inlays
Adjustable truss rod
PADDED nylon gig bag

And the other one is Jameson (Blueburst Acoustic Electric Guitar By Jameson with Cutaway with Free Gig Bag Case 979CSE).
# Overall Length - 41" # Body Thickness - 3" # Scale Length - 25.5" # Nut Width - 1.75" # Weight (lbs) - 10 # Fingerboard - Rosewood # Body - Nato # Top - Spurce # Truss Rod - Yes # Pickup - Yes - Passive # Tuners - Diecast
Spruce Top
Diecast Tuners
Mohagnay Back, Sides and Neck
Rosewood Fretboard and Bridge
Passive EQ Pickup
Ivoroid Nut and Saddle
5-ply Body Binding
Inlaid Rossette
Crappy bag

I am also considering Jasmine S34C NEX by Takamine, but that one is missing the option of "plugging it in", which I am used to and would like to have "if things get serious"

Would anyone have some time to spare to help me with my dillemma or know of an even better deal in that price range? I am very grateful in advance

Last edited by lotusmonk : 10-05-2012 at 10:30 PM.
lotusmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Captaincranky

Well, I always recommend springing for an acoustic electric up front. As often than not a player regrets an acoustic only purchase. Onboard electronics can allow you to get good sound from a guitar than may or may not be adequate in the acoustic only context. Everything sounds better with a touch of reverb or delay, which will supply an ambient sound you simply don't ordinarily encounter in the average room.

I think you should pass on the passive pickup system.

As to the other guitars, the AE model is an unbranded item of unknown quality, and the Jasime is acoustic only.

If you could see it in your way to possibly up the budget to include the AE upgrade version of the Takamine, that's the route I'd take.

I consider the entry budget far a half ass decent AE guitar to approach $300.00. A holiday sale from Musician's Friend can bring that as low as about $260.00.

Guitars in the price range you're considering are normally custom low price runs from one of the large Korean or Chinese OEMs, then given a "Brand X" logo. You can find a decent one, but you better know how to look for it, and don't be disappointed if you have a long hard search.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-05-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: